Defender Source Forum banner

GM Gen 4 conversion including LS

Tags
conversion
963K views 3K replies 280 participants last post by  LandDefender 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
O.k. I got permission from the forum member to post a few pics.

This is a GM Gen 4 mated to a 6 speed and then to the LT230. Guess what...no change needed in your drive lines as this mates up to your LT 230.

Imaging all the HP and gas mileage you could want. WOW. More to come from the forum member.

Attachments

See less See more
#1,163 ·
For those whom have taken pictures of their progress, would you please post them? I may be the least qualified to attempt this conversion and a picture is worth a thousand dollars; actually more like eight thousand as that is what was quoted to me by my local shop to do the conversion.:popcorn:

Would anyone who has done this conversion like a free trip to Maui? It would come with a
bitch'n ride once were done:thumb:

#1,165 ·
I learn a lot from the pictures, helps me wrap my head around this build.

I already have a l94/6l80, ashcroft transfer case and Nicks kit. local shop wants 8000$ for installation labor so I am going to try an do it myself:confused

I have a few question:

Any suggestions on which Magnaflow muffler to go with Nicks Magnaflow cats.

Can I put the motor, trans and transfer case in individually with a simple 2 ton hoist...thats all I have?

Big Mahalo

#1,168 ·
I attached some more pics of mine. By absolutely no means am I an expert but hopefully these help. I will be at the shop on Monday. I can take more if you like. The Lokar transmission should be on.

Attachments

#1,166 ·
Going to install the CA y-pipe and then compare the location of the output compared to stock. Nick says the NRP cat back exhaust will fit with the CA y-pipe. No reason not to believe him but my shop as a stock NAS 1995 D90 so we can make 100% sure. ECR mentioned that the NRP works with the regular, non CA y-pipe and they had good results.

#1,169 ·
Hi Nick, If you read this please email me the Updated BOM with all the needed materials, or do so when you invoice me for the other parts/ ship out the adapter. Trying to get everything i need lined up.

Also Can someone elaborate on the TCase mounts needed for the RHD swap? Nick mentioned to me on the phone that the mounts from a D1 should be used instead of the defender, but I can't find any in the junkyard, don't have a part number for them, and am not actually sure why they have to be used. I re-read the whole thread, but still don't have any solid information.

Thanks

#1,173 ·
Ok I will buy a NRP cat back exhaust kit for a 88/110 from Rovers North.

Back to my second question- If I take the front middle grille and radiator out can I put the motor/trans/Tc inn in one piece with a simple 2 ton engine hoist. If its not possible can it be done in pieces? I am asking this question because I see everybody doing it in one shot with a huge lift tower.

#1,175 ·
#1,201 ·
After 17 months of a RRC build I have just filled my 3rd tank of gas. Have a few pics in my registry. I have yet to push it very hard and can tell you sometimes it's easier to just put the truck in neutral at a stop light then stand on the brakes as hard as you have to....it has a lot of torque and just wants to go.
I might change my signature to read 99% done.

#1,187 ·
My very small contribution to this effort

For those who don't like the chrome bezel on the Dakota gauge, there is a solution. Dakota will ship you a chrome bezel which you can do what you like to. I had mine powder coated matte black. Send it back and they will re-install it in the gauge. My contact is Justin Olsen. justin.olsen@dakotadigital.com. I much prefer this version.

Attachments

#1,199 ·
why not use nutzerts so it's more solid? Can't believe there is enough real estate behind the gauge cluster on the firewall to accommodate it. Also need room for the CanBus box too but that's a much smaller unit. I bought the Compass/Outside Temp module too. Would like to have outside temp if possible.

Did you fuse power for the gauge control module? It seemed to indicate it wanted a 5 amp fuse in the instructions.

#1,203 ·
Your brake signal may not be connected correctly to the ecm. It's required to unlock the torque converter. Connect the AutoCAL and pc to verify the input.
Awesome Nick...That makes a lot of sense. I'm on it next time it is in the shop. I still haven't loaded the last tune you sent me to deal with the tach. Appreciate It!

#1,206 ·
#1,208 ·
will she take it!!!

hi every one,
I'm running an rpi stageIII 4.6 v8 , and I'm going ahead with the swap, why? thats a discussion on its own and i don't want to pollute this amazing discussion.
.i have a question regarding if my diffs and shafts will take the extra grunt from a 6.2,
i read on the discussion (can't remember which page) that it would be sensible to upgrade the diffs and shafts. my diffs and shafts were supplied by ashcroft about 2 yrs ago. the diffs are ring and pinion 4.12 ratio front and rears with heavy duty aschcroft half shafts, heavy duty flanges and cv joints.
the transfer case is limited slip 230 at a ratio of 1.22.
your opinions please as I'm restoring a 130 and would like to order her diffs etc soon and don't wanna make any expensive mistakes.

thanks in advance
swaini

#1,209 ·
hi every one,
I'm running an rpi stageIII 4.6 v8 , and I'm going ahead with the swap, why? thats a discussion on its own and i don't want to pollute this amazing discussion.
.i have a question regarding if my diffs and shafts will take the extra grunt from a 6.2,
i read on the discussion (can't remember which page) that it would be sensible to upgrade the diffs and shafts. my diffs and shafts were supplied by ashcroft about 2 yrs ago. the diffs are ring and pinion 4.12 ratio front and rears with heavy duty aschcroft half shafts, heavy duty flanges and cv joints.
the transfer case is limited slip 230 at a ratio of 1.22.
your opinions please as I'm restoring a 130 and would like to order her diffs etc soon and don't wanna make any expensive mistakes.

thanks in advance
swaini
That depends on how you use it. It will be fine on the road. Off road use is the question and depends on the type of wheeling and how much you like to play with the right pedal.

What differentials do you have? You say shafts, flanges, R&P and CVs, but nothing about differentials.

#1,211 ·
Transmission Bracket

Can someone shoot a pic of where Part 3 (as called for in the BOM) is used in the build?

which looks like

Seems like there are several pics of the drivers side mounts in the thread but I did not come across any of this used on the passenger side. My drivetrain is in and I did not use this part, but rather #5. I cannot see how #3 is used so either I am wrong or I have an old/inaccurate BOM.

#1,217 ·
Seems like there are several pics of the drivers side mounts in the thread but I did not come across any of this used on the passenger side. My drivetrain is in and I did not use this part, but rather #5. I cannot see how #3 is used so either I am wrong or I have an old/inaccurate BOM.
Here are pic's of both sides mounting brackets :