Defender Source Forum banner

GM Gen 4 conversion including LS

Tags
conversion
963K views 3K replies 280 participants last post by  LandDefender 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
O.k. I got permission from the forum member to post a few pics.

This is a GM Gen 4 mated to a 6 speed and then to the LT230. Guess what...no change needed in your drive lines as this mates up to your LT 230.

Imaging all the HP and gas mileage you could want. WOW. More to come from the forum member.

Attachments

See less See more
#1,123 ·
Can anyone who as successfully (or not) converted a RHD 110 weigh in on the project? I'm sufficiently informed with regards to gear box placement and the A/C issue. Aside from the compressor, is there linkage issues with everything being swung to the other side on a RHD? Or maybe while doing the engine conversion you just committed head over heels into a RHD to LHD swap also?

Thx - Sam

#1,125 ·
Yes, read your build thread, that's an undertaking! I loved the 2" door gap you started with. You're a better man than I for taking it on. I'm in Texas, so I'd rather get rid of my steering wheel than my A/C :rofl

Reactions: 86Defend110
#1,128 ·
Nope all good, its all much closer to the engine then the diagrams make it look. Detailed installation details on my build thread...

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f47/defender-50th-ls2-6l80-build-58134-3.html

I have actually lifted my engine up a little now which may mean the sedan alternator location would clear the LH chassis rail in its stock location but I'm happy with my setup so I'm not planing to investigate!

#1,133 ·
First Drive

OMG, I got to take mine out for its first drive today and all I can say is wow. These things kick butt! The gear changes are seamless, the engine pulls like some kind of mad thing and 110 Km/h is almost instant. Obviously there are a few little gremlins to iron out and the interior needs finishing. Once the trans tunnel is sealed up and I get the dash wired in I will post some video. Most of all I would like to thank Nick for making this all possible :thumb:

Cheers,

James.

#1,144 ·
I'm in the middle of reworking my harness, and I'm not sure what i'm supposed to do with the oil pressure switch thats in Nicks BOM - does it replace the stock sensor behind the intake manifold? given its a single connector I'm guessing id need to delete the wires and run it direct to the warning light?

#1,151 ·
Hi

My problem is the red battery light on the dash. I am using the GM crate engine control system and can find no way of making it work. The bulkhead connector has nothing is there a way?

Thanks Rob

#1,158 ·
Have i mentioned I love my LS swap?! :)
Awesome aren't they! I have just driven mine its first 200km in the last 3 days. It has been sitting for a while since getting the exhaust fitted due to work commitments but having worked few out a few gremlins with fuel pumps and and a good old earthing issue we are finally on the road. I have a couple of hopefully minor tuning issues to sort but the thing very nearly flys :grin

#1,153 ·
Without reading 1150 messages, is there a manual for the installation or a website explaining it?

I want to buy a set but after one mail from Nick it became quite, no answers anymore. Does anybody know how I can contact him, or Nick if you read this, can you contact me?

#1,154 ·
I drove out to his house in San Diego. Nick is incredibly busy. He also has a full time job. It will be interesting to see if he ever spins this off full time. But be patient and work with him. The kit he makes is simply astounding. Here's mine with a 6.2L LS bolted in place but not yet wired up. It's actually a L94 crate motor from Turnkey Engine Supply.

Attachments

#1,162 ·
The L94(last gen Escalade) and L99(Camaro) are the same 6.2L long block. It's just a difference of intakes I think. I believe they are the same price and power rating. Turnkey uses a more aggressive tune than GM did so either way it will be 440 horsepower instead of 403 or 400. I went with the L94 in case I ever move to California. I work in tech so Silicon Valley is always a possibility should something compelling come up and San Diego is my favorite vacation spot and I'd love to surf twice a week instead of twice a year. In talking with Nick and Kolby at Turnkey, we went with the L94 because California wants a like to like engine swap. The Cadillac is a light truck as is the Defender but they might squawk about a Camaro which is a car. I also got the CA Y-pipe instead of the regular y-pipe. In the event I ever try to get certified in CA, my truck is close and won't require an engine or exhaust swap. There would be some evap stuff and possibly configuration of the air intake. This would all be stuff Nick and Kolby could take care of without too much re-engineering.

The other thing if you go with turnkey is he knows which oil pan to include. Apparently the truck oil pan works better than the one for a car. Turnkey also knows the correct pulleys and other things specified by Nick. Turnkey has a beautiful facility in Oceanside, CA just north of San Diego. They aren't the cheapest option but I enjoyed working with them.

#1,164 ·
The L94(last gen Escalade) and L99(Camaro) are the same 6.2L long block. It's just a difference of intakes I think. I believe they are the same price and power rating. Turnkey uses a more aggressive tune than GM did so either way it will be 440 horsepower instead of 403 or 400. I went with the L94 in case I ever move to California. I work in tech so Silicon Valley is always a possibility should something compelling come up and San Diego is my favorite vacation spot and I'd love to surf twice a week instead of twice a year. In talking with Nick and Kolby at Turnkey, we went with the L94 because California wants a like to like engine swap. The Cadillac is a light truck as is the Defender but they might squawk about a Camaro which is a car. I also got the CA Y-pipe instead of the regular y-pipe. In the event I ever try to get certified in CA, my truck is close and won't require an engine or exhaust swap. There would be some evap stuff and possibly configuration of the air intake. This would all be stuff Nick and Kolby could take care of without too much re-engineering. The other thing if you go with turnkey is he knows which oil pan to include. Apparently the truck oil pan works better than the one for a car. Turnkey also knows the correct pulleys and other things specified by Nick. Turnkey has a beautiful facility in Oceanside, CA just north of San Diego. They aren't the cheapest option but I enjoyed working with them.
Solid Post