Defender Source Forum banner

GM Gen 4 conversion including LS

Tags
conversion
963K views 3K replies 280 participants last post by  LandDefender 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
O.k. I got permission from the forum member to post a few pics.

This is a GM Gen 4 mated to a 6 speed and then to the LT230. Guess what...no change needed in your drive lines as this mates up to your LT 230.

Imaging all the HP and gas mileage you could want. WOW. More to come from the forum member.

Attachments

See less See more
#1,017 ·
Spent the day at Turn Key Engine Supply working through custom configurations and tunes for the L94 and LC9 engines and testing my new harness.

This new 6.2L/6L80e is going to a lucky D90 owner. :proud

All engines are test run before shipping.
Any news on the harnesses Nick? I emailed you a few days back but can see you've been busy (I'm also in need of a couple of other thing from you).

#1,020 ·
Haha - love it! Any link to the build?

Very surprised you don't see a lot of LS swaps into Disco2's. The D2 we had years ago was a great vehicle save for being underpowered.

Any one in NJ that has an LS swap Defender? Will buy lunch for a ride. Not giving my OM617 up anytime soon but very curious how it drives.

#1,021 · (Edited)
prices?

Nick,
Could you please send me a PM or a link to price list?

Also, could this kit work with one of the 4 speed transmissions? It would make my motor shopping a lot simpler if Gen III motors were an option, but using the 6L80 makes that a lot harder.

EDIT: ebay selection is subpar, I guess there are plenty of trannys out there.

#1,022 ·
Nick,
Could you please send me a PM or a link to price list?

Also, could this kit work with one of the 4 speed transmissions? It would make my motor shopping a lot simpler if Gen III motors were an option, but using the 6L80 makes that a lot harder.

EDIT: ebay selection is subpar, I guess there are plenty of trannys out there.
This configuration does NOT support any 4-speed automatic transmissions. 6L80e only and that requires the Gen IV engine.

Mark's 4wd Adapters has a 4L80e adapter. Be prepared to relocate the LT230 with their configuration.

#1,031 ·
Apologize for the Hijack, or if Nic has already posted this; but can someone tell me the exact distance from bell housing to the back of the LT230 case using Nic's adapter. I see 69" total above, and the engine is 28.75" from front pulley to flywheel, which leaves approx. 40.25". But hoping someone can give me the exact dimension.

I'm just trying to compare Nic's set-up to Rakeway's T56/LT230 set-up or their TKO600/LT230 Set-Up, to see if the rest of Nic's Gen 4 set-up (mounts, radiator, etc...) will work.

#1,034 ·
Nick, I've been looking at your product for a while and this conversion something I am going to want to do (maybe not right away, looking at putting together a summer project). Can you PM me the pricing on the adapter for converting an 84 2.5 N/A Diesel D90?

Also I was wondering if there were any technical limitation on putting in the new 8 speed transmission, from what I can tell the size is just about the same as the 6 speed and as I would like to source a new transmission anyway, it seems to make sense to get the newest and shiniest of GMs transmissions. Alternatively (and I know this one is a stretch) what is the limitation on using a TR6060 manual transmission? That trans seems like it would bolt up in nearly the same way as the 6 speed auto and would give people an option to go manual that isn't from an orphaned manufacturer like the NV4500.

Thanks.

#1,037 ·
Alternatively (and I know this one is a stretch) what is the limitation on using a TR6060 manual transmission? That trans seems like it would bolt up in nearly the same way as the 6 speed auto and would give people an option to go manual that isn't from an orphaned manufacturer like the NV4500. Thanks.
The TR6060 is only RWD isn't it.... you have to go to a Tranzilla box if you want 4WD and that's $$$$$

#1,036 ·
Nick, I was reading back through the thread again and spotted you'd mentioned you were thinking of doing reflashed BCM's with harnesses (rather than just the whole engine harness) - are you still doing that?

I've just started on reworking my factory harness, so could use any info you have on what wires I need to leave for you're bcm harness if you are...

#1,054 ·
Dam all this stuff gets me thinking.........fast stuff.
All the gear you guys show is sweet.
keep all the information coming, does anyone know of someone doing the Ford 5.0 coyote.
I just like the blue oval/ green oval.
I like the power in the LS3 and the down low power looking at the numbers.
I think to pull the motor and just wire the puma dash with a painless and then the Ford or Chevy Factor wiring. I have the puma dash and the MT82 so the transfer case should match the ford stuff.

#1,055 ·
UL1700, can you provide a source for that gauge cluster like vendor, URL and price? More importantly, Nick, will your harness work in such a way that the Dakota digital or UL1700 fuel gauge portion works with some fuel pump whether factory, aftermarket or combination aftermarket pump with factory sending unit? I've got my motor out and an L94/6l80e slated to arrive in 4 weeks. I assume the gauge is can bus based. Please provide any info guys.

------ Follow up post added January 31st, 2016 11:22 PM ------

google reverse search is pretty bad ass. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dak-vfd31008b

Is there enough room to leave the OEM info panel in the dash with the Dakota series III? It's 4.25 inches tall.

#1,056 ·
UL1700, can you provide a source for that gauge cluster like vendor, URL and price? More importantly, Nick, will your harness work in such a way that the Dakota digital or UL1700 fuel gauge portion works with some fuel pump whether factory, aftermarket or combination aftermarket pump with factory sending unit? I've got my motor out and an L94/6l80e slated to arrive in 4 weeks. I assume the gauge is can bus based. Please provide any info guys.
Amit,

The Dakota Digital gauge setup and the engine harness are mutually exclusive. You can use the CAN bus or discrete wiring for the fuel sensor. Any calibration. However, for the EVAP I/M (California) to work correctly you have to wire the fuel level sensor to the E38 and then get the gauge reads from the CAN bus.

The setup allows you to pick your sources for the gauges. For example, speed, CAN bus, VSS, or GPS.

------ Follow up post added January 31st, 2016 09:24 PM ------

------ Follow up post added January 31st, 2016 11:22 PM ------

google reverse search is pretty bad ass. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dak-vfd31008b

Is there enough room to leave the OEM info panel in the dash with the Dakota series III? It's 4.25 inches tall.
Nope

#1,063 ·
Nick, I am interested but I'd be looking at the rectangular all digital version that UL1700 posted as opposed to the one you posted. Also don't want to be a guinea pig. Kind of want to have everything all spelled out on getting the turn signals, high beams, etc integrated. I'm going to get my dash put together with the VDO gauges first but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be interested in a DD setup very soon thereafter. Just trying to minimize uncertainty as we go through the L94 install. Want to drive my 403 hp truck as soon as possible. The tinkering will never end.

------ Follow up post added February 2nd, 2016 06:38 PM ------

on second thought I do like the one you posted as well. Either one would be fine.

------ Follow up post added February 2nd, 2016 06:39 PM ------

I've got the Raptor all metal setup though. Do you think I can make that setup work with your adapter plate?

#1,065 ·
third follow up: what are the 2 holes on the left for?

------ Follow up post added February 2nd, 2016 06:47 PM ------

#4. Is it possible to make the gear selected indicator work with the 6l80e? Reason I ask is that it says up to 4 forward gears and we've got 6. Suffice it to say I'm interested especially since there is a plug in module for outside air temp and compass. I'm a little directionally challenged.

#1,066 ·
Yes. The two holes are for the two buttons that select menus and what is displayed in the two LCD panels. I currently have the Gear in the left and the trans temp in the right.

It gleems all the information available from the CAN bus. Or you can choose discrete sensor(s) for inputs.

The indicator lamps are there too. Turn signals, high beam, check engine, and a 4x4 indicator I use for the diff lock. And you can add modules for more inputs. Outside temp, GPS, pyro...

Attachments