Defender Source Forum banner

GM Gen 4 conversion including LS

Tags
conversion
963K views 3K replies 280 participants last post by  LandDefender 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
O.k. I got permission from the forum member to post a few pics.

This is a GM Gen 4 mated to a 6 speed and then to the LT230. Guess what...no change needed in your drive lines as this mates up to your LT 230.

Imaging all the HP and gas mileage you could want. WOW. More to come from the forum member.

Attachments

See less See more
#971 ·
hi guys,

new member here, seeking advice on achieving this look and ride height on a tight budget, i want cheaper alternatives to the cooper ltz as they are too expensive, also wouldnt mind using 20" wheels with bigger tires as long as i get the same ride height. what spacers should i use, grill, i know those are terrefirma wide arch fenders.

also any body willing to do a custom interior alcantara and leather should pm me, if you can do this for a decent rate

#981 ·
happy Christmas everyone! the wife and kids are watching crappy movies, so I'm taking the opportunity to obsess over engine swap problems...

has anyone done a RHD defender with a truck engine yet? only looking at the front of my l92 the alternator is at the same height as the top of the intake - so although Nick's BOM states the accessory relocation bracket is only needed for LHD, I'm not so sure (it cant clear the hood if the TB wont without being reversed).

I've got an ls3 intake manifold to go on, but if I can get away without reversing it and moving the alternator that would suit me much better.... at the moment, I'm thinking of just relocating the idler pulley ($28 part from Dirty Dingo: DD-LS-IRB - Idler Bracket Install LS Conversion LS Swap - DD-LS-IRB - Idler Bracket Install LS Conversion LS Swap) and maybe getting one of these hoods:http://http://www.grpmylandy.com/products/custom-bonnets/landrover-trailer-style-bulge-bonnet.html- I've emailed the company that makes them to ask how far from the front the bulge starts, but if it works then it's save me a fair ammount over moving all accessories and intake around.

#994 · (Edited)
Sorry for polluting this thread with D2 motor stuff. I'm looking for an LS solution for my Rover motor woes and I believe Nick has exactly what I need. I'll resume watching with interest.

PS. Here is the D2 forum if anyone is interested (where at least two guys are reinventing the wheel regarding chevy motor swaps). Discovery II - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

PPS. Sorry again and lets get back to replacing the ancient GM design with their latest and greatest.

PPPS. May your combustion gasses all find their way out the tallpipes and not into adjoining cylinders or coolant or the space between the block and the head where there really ought to be some head gasket:whistling:... Amen!

#999 · (Edited)
#1,004 ·
Hi St. Nick,
Please also send a burned template to me too.
I also need one each of the following (include all together):
-accessory drive bracket (alt/ps)
-Lokar shifter bracket
-clutch pedal block off plate

Also please remind me if this is needed for' 91 Ninety LHD MOD with existing LT230 1.461 ratio and your adapter / adaptor:
-diff lock lever

Thanks.

#1,008 ·
X-post from the Gen III threrad.....

Fixed the crappy looking fuel lines with some 180 degree fittings :)
Just a quick follow up on the fuel lines, one of the guys on another forum pointed out (after I posted this pic) that you can flip the fuel rails by trimming the plastic tabs off the plenum to get the connections pointing backwards again on the drivers side.
Would save a few $ on the 180 degree fittings.... :thumb:

#1,009 ·
Wilson FAST LSX 92mm Intake Manifold?

Re-use the truck LH6 intake manifold for Defender LS conversion, use a low profile intake manifold, or this Wilson FAST LSX 92mm Intake Manifold? FAST LSX 92mm.

X-post from the Gen III threrad.....

Just a quick follow up on the fuel lines, one of the guys on another forum pointed out (after I posted this pic) that you can flip the fuel rails by trimming the plastic tabs off the plenum to get the connections pointing backwards again on the drivers side.
Would save a few $ on the 180 degree fittings.... :thumb: