GM Gen 4 conversion including LS - Page 17 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 13th, 2014, 05:55 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmarkiw View Post
I have 15 more adapters, accessory drives, engine mounts... in manufacturing.
ETA is 5 weeks.
Yes! Price please! I'll be looking into 2 of them. One to build the truck and another as a backup in case anything happens to the first one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2014, 06:14 PM
nmarkiw
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ View Post
Yes! Price please! I'll be looking into 2 of them. One to build the truck and another as a backup in case anything happens to the first one.
PM me for pricing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2014, 03:06 PM
nmarkiw
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L

Weekend Trip

Took the D90 to BigBear this weekend for trail running and camping. Some observations...

The vehicle never overheated. Even at 8000ft and continuous uphill climbing. Currently running two 1000cfm Spal electric fans. These are controlled by the ECU and staged.

The low first gear is awesome for crawling over boulders. Fantastic torque and very well behaved. Especially pulling a crippled D2 up over obstacles. (broken TC) On the down side, too much up-shifting/down-shifting between first and second gear on normal trails. I am planning on reprogramming one of the shifter detents to "start in second gear" to eliminate this. I spent half the time in high range. Loads of torque.

The only issue I ran into was making the mistake of starting the vehicle in gear. The TCU faulted and put me in limp mode. (second gear only) A two minute disconnect the of the battery cleared the fault. Hence, hooking up a neutral safety switch is advised.

The trip up and back was nice. Doing 85mph on the highway and passing Jeeps is always fun. Of course, there was one new JK that was intent on showing me how powerful his new Pentistar V6 was. Left him in the dust around 100mph. I guess the prospect of getting a speeding ticket in my D90 is now a reality.

I am finding other issues with my D90 at these speeds. I now know my doors whistle and my fiberglass top buffets over 85mph. Overall very happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Quote:
Of course, there was one new JK that was intent on showing me how powerful his new Pentistar V6 was. Left him in the dust around 100mph.
Priceless
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Old May 19th, 2014, 04:46 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
The more I read about this conversion the more I want to try and talk my wife into "needing" a 110 SW vs. the G class Merc she really wants.

I am sure you pissed off a lot of Jeepers passing them up like that, haha
Old May 20th, 2014, 05:37 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

How was mpg? Between your trail work and blowing off jeeps might be er "limited".
Old May 21st, 2014, 08:13 PM
nmarkiw
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
How was mpg? Between your trail work and blowing off jeeps might be er "limited".
Right. Any mpg figures from the trip home would be skewed. Next trip is Bronco Peak. That will be a good run to collect numbers.
Old May 21st, 2014, 09:47 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Took the D90 to BigBear this weekend for trail running and camping. Some observations...

The vehicle never overheated. Even at 8000ft and continuous uphill climbing. Currently running two 1000cfm Spal electric fans. These are controlled by the ECU and staged.

The low first gear is awesome for crawling over boulders. Fantastic torque and very well behaved. Especially pulling a crippled D2 up over obstacles. (broken TC) On the down side, too much up-shifting/down-shifting between first and second gear on normal trails. I am planning on reprogramming one of the shifter detents to "start in second gear" to eliminate this. I spent half the time in high range. Loads of torque.

The only issue I ran into was making the mistake of starting the vehicle in gear. The TCU faulted and put me in limp mode. (second gear only) A two minute disconnect the of the battery cleared the fault. Hence, hooking up a neutral safety switch is advised.

The trip up and back was nice. Doing 85mph on the highway and passing Jeeps is always fun. Of course, there was one new JK that was intent on showing me how powerful his new Pentistar V6 was. Left him in the dust around 100mph. I guess the prospect of getting a speeding ticket in my D90 is now a reality.

I am finding other issues with my D90 at these speeds. I now know my doors whistle and my fiberglass top buffets over 85mph. Overall very happy.
100mph in a 90 on tall tires. You have bigger balls than I do.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Old May 21st, 2014, 10:26 PM
nmarkiw
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
100mph in a 90 on tall tires. You have bigger balls than I do.
Balls and stupidity are interchangeable. Just for the record, I lifted at 100mph. At that point I realized how stupid this was. My buddy looked a little pale too. But I sure did have a big grin.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 02:23 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Balls and stupidity are interchangeable. Just for the record, I lifted at 100mph. At that point I realized how stupid this was. My buddy looked a little pale too. But I sure did have a big grin.
I had a 30 series profile zr rated tire come apart @ 3 digit speed in a sports car and lived to tell about it.

Going 100 on an tall sidewall R rated tire that's often run aired down, stone bruised side walls etc would scare the hell out of me. That said, I'd probably have done the same thing.

Cheers on your new drive train it sounds like a blast.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Old May 22nd, 2014, 06:04 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
I just re-read this thread from post #1. I'm so doing this.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 02:17 AM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

A little LS LR delight... Jim 'Giggle Pin' Marsden winning the prologue for King of the Glens 2014, crank the volume & enjoy

http://youtu.be/Uz2uxxKZFPg
Old June 19th, 2014, 01:50 PM
nmarkiw
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L

More Adapters!

The next run of adapter housings arrived.
The adapter shafts are due next week.

(Notice the reflection of the ceiling fan on the face.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6b2-1.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	97063   Click image for larger version

Name:	6b2-2.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	97064  

Old June 19th, 2014, 02:07 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
The next run of adapter housings arrived. The adapter shafts are due next week. (Notice the reflection of the ceiling fan on the face.)
Nothing better than seeing freshly computer cut aluminum. Looks great!
Old July 21st, 2014, 05:03 PM
nmarkiw
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L

GM Performance

There have been several people asking what engine or package to buy from GM. (new engine)

Currently, GM Performance doesn't offer a suitable engine/trans package for this conversion. They have three different offerings...

Crate Engine
Connect & Cruise
E-ROD

Crate Engine
GM does offer the LC9 (5.3L aluminum) truck engine as a crate option. Part number 19259918. (~$5,000) This can be used on this conversion. Available from Summit, Jegs...

Connect & Cruise
This package comes with a wiring harness, ECM, and optionally a transmission. Problem is GM Performance doesn't off the 6L80e transmission, yet. Therefore, any package engines won't have the correct ECM and wiring harness.

E-ROD
This package is the Connect & Cruise plus down pipes/cats and is California legal. Here again, since the 6L80e is not offered, it has the same problems as Connect & Cruise. Don't wast you money on this one. You will have to scap the down pipes/cat, exhaust manifolds, ECM and harness. Then you are left with the Crate Motor and no CA compliance.

So what are the options? You can purchase the LC9 Crate Motor from GM Performance, a 6L80e trans from the dealer (~$2800), and a wiring harness from the dealer (~$200), and an ECM from Amazon. This won't work in California as a donor VIN is required for an "engine change". I an not sure what other states require.

Will a Car Engine work?
Car engines can be used outside of California. However, the oil pan and pickup, water pump, and possibly the crank pulley will have to be changed. There are three pulley offsets. Close, medium, and long. The truck water pump is required here and uses the long pulley.

Hope this helps.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 10:08 PM
nmarkiw
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L

I got the shaft!

Finally! The shafts arrived today.
I can how start shipping adapters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shafts.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	99269  
Old July 25th, 2014, 01:20 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

So to summarize and reiterate

Quote:
There have been several people asking what engine or package to buy from GM. (new engine)

Currently, GM Performance doesn't offer a suitable engine/trans package for this conversion. They have three different offerings...

Crate Engine
Connect & Cruise
E-ROD

Crate Engine
GM does offer the LC9 (5.3L aluminum) truck engine as a crate option. Part number 19259918. (~$5,000) This can be used on this conversion. Available from Summit, Jegs...

Connect & Cruise
This package comes with a wiring harness, ECM, and optionally a transmission. Problem is GM Performance doesn't off the 6L80e transmission, yet. Therefore, any package engines won't have the correct ECM and wiring harness.

E-ROD
This package is the Connect & Cruise plus down pipes/cats and is California legal. Here again, since the 6L80e is not offered, it has the same problems as Connect & Cruise. Don't wast you money on this one. You will have to scap the down pipes/cat, exhaust manifolds, ECM and harness. Then you are left with the Crate Motor and no CA compliance.

So what are the options? You can purchase the LC9 Crate Motor from GM Performance, a 6L80e trans from the dealer (~$2800), and a wiring harness from the dealer (~$200), and an ECM from Amazon. This won't work in California as a donor VIN is required for an "engine change". I an not sure what other states require.

Will a Car Engine work?
Car engines can be used outside of California. However, the oil pan and pickup, water pump, and possibly the crank pulley will have to be changed. There are three pulley offsets. Close, medium, and long. The truck water pump is required here and uses the long pulley.

Hope this helps.

Best bet is to get a used gen 4 truck motor with a 6l80e and all the accessories and engine harness, emission to go with it! Correct.
Since I have the gen 111 with the 4l60e I can says I am very pleased with being able to put my foot in it and continually have a smile on my face during acceleration. I fell my truck is tom cruise and my drive line is Renee zeliwiger. And Tom keeps saying from jerry McGuire "you complete me!" What a tear jerker and some sh't after downing a dark bear and an extra strong Bloody Mary so I can sleep on this red eye from Cali to DC
Old July 25th, 2014, 07:00 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Sorry :(

[QUOTE=CDeWan;549528]Best bet is to get a used gen 4 truck motor with a 6l80e and all the accessories and engine harness, emission to go with it! Correct.
Since I have the gen 111 with the 4l60e I can says I am very pleased with being able to put my foot in it and continually have a smile on my face during acceleration. I fell my truck is tom cruise and my drive line is Renee zeliwiger. And Tom keeps saying from jerry McGuire "you complete me!" What a tear jerker and some sh't after downing a dark bear and an extra strong Bloody Mary so I can sleep on this red eye from Cali to DC

Sorry - bad post
Old July 25th, 2014, 08:11 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

You downed a dark BEAR... Careful..that's some kinky and dangerous shite right there,,,.
Old August 12th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Jwillia
Justin
87 ROW build in progress

Pm sent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
conversion