GM Gen 4 conversion including LS - Page 17 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #321  
Old April 17th, 2014, 09:42 PM
nmarkiw
Status: Offline
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 308
Bcm

The BCM and connectors arrived. Now onto wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0050.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	93252  
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #322  
Old April 19th, 2014, 07:18 PM
3rovers's Avatar
3rovers
Status: Offline
Dennis Yard
1993 NAS D-110 #55
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 123
Gen IV on the dirt

Here is a photo of Nick's Gen IV D-90 out on "sea trials" in the Anza Borrego Desert last weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1030.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	93314  
__________________
Dennis Yard
Land Rover Club of San Diego
1993 NAS D-110 #55 (GNUTRUK)
2004 Disco II (DSCO DOG)
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #323  
Old April 29th, 2014, 10:00 AM
dave_lucas
Status: Offline
Dave Lucas
None
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: CO USA
Posts: 2,886
What a beast! Spent a few hours getting it to this point but still have a few hours before it is solid and in place 100%
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3101429554.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	574.5 KB
ID:	93902  
Reply With Quote
  #324  
Old April 29th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Landy_Andy's Avatar
Landy_Andy
Status: Offline
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D90 truggy & 1951 S1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Revelstoke, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
What a beast! Spent a few hours getting it to this point but still have a few hours before it is solid and in place 100%
Very cool....

btw, what make are the blue lifting brackets ?

Thanks...
__________________
D100 5.3 LS powered truggy under construction....
Reply With Quote
  #325  
Old April 29th, 2014, 10:11 AM
dave_lucas
Status: Offline
Dave Lucas
None
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: CO USA
Posts: 2,886
Factory GM part for installing a motor without having to take off parts of the motor. they work well.
Reply With Quote
  #326  
Old May 10th, 2014, 11:49 AM
Cube II's Avatar
Cube II
Status: Offline
Michele
1997 D90
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Italy
Posts: 902
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Very nice adapter work.
Few understand exactly how much work it takes to come up with a built from scratch adapter, prototype and test it, and finally proceed with a unit that could undergo a production run.
Again, well done.
I, for one, would be very interested into understanding that if someone is willing to share the process.
__________________
Michele
D90 VNTdi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Reply With Quote
  #327  
Old May 13th, 2014, 03:33 PM
nmarkiw
Status: Offline
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 308
Next Run

I have 15 more adapters, accessory drives, engine mounts... in manufacturing.
ETA is 5 weeks.
Reply With Quote
  #328  
Old May 13th, 2014, 05:11 PM
airbornrover's Avatar
airbornrover
Status: Offline
William Skidmore
1994 D90
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Land between 18 and Turnpike
Posts: 1,840
Have an idea on pricing?
__________________
Quote:
Just to be clear, i was not bragging. i was calling you a pussy. Ren Ching
There is nothing as permanent as a temporary fix. JSBriggs
Reply With Quote
  #329  
Old May 13th, 2014, 05:35 PM
smenzel's Avatar
smenzel
Status: Offline
Sandro
1967 Series IIA
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 328
Neat idea. Very curious to see how it works out. The pictures are a great help. Subscribed!
Reply With Quote
  #330  
Old May 13th, 2014, 05:55 PM
]-[ @ n $'s Avatar
]-[ @ n $
Status: Offline
Hans
Hunting
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 349
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmarkiw View Post
I have 15 more adapters, accessory drives, engine mounts... in manufacturing.
ETA is 5 weeks.
Yes! Price please! I'll be looking into 2 of them. One to build the truck and another as a backup in case anything happens to the first one.
Reply With Quote
  #331  
Old May 13th, 2014, 06:14 PM
nmarkiw
Status: Offline
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ View Post
Yes! Price please! I'll be looking into 2 of them. One to build the truck and another as a backup in case anything happens to the first one.
PM me for pricing.
Reply With Quote
  #332  
Old May 19th, 2014, 03:06 PM
nmarkiw
Status: Offline
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 308
Weekend Trip

Took the D90 to BigBear this weekend for trail running and camping. Some observations...

The vehicle never overheated. Even at 8000ft and continuous uphill climbing. Currently running two 1000cfm Spal electric fans. These are controlled by the ECU and staged.

The low first gear is awesome for crawling over boulders. Fantastic torque and very well behaved. Especially pulling a crippled D2 up over obstacles. (broken TC) On the down side, too much up-shifting/down-shifting between first and second gear on normal trails. I am planning on reprogramming one of the shifter detents to "start in second gear" to eliminate this. I spent half the time in high range. Loads of torque.

The only issue I ran into was making the mistake of starting the vehicle in gear. The TCU faulted and put me in limp mode. (second gear only) A two minute disconnect the of the battery cleared the fault. Hence, hooking up a neutral safety switch is advised.

The trip up and back was nice. Doing 85mph on the highway and passing Jeeps is always fun. Of course, there was one new JK that was intent on showing me how powerful his new Pentistar V6 was. Left him in the dust around 100mph. I guess the prospect of getting a speeding ticket in my D90 is now a reality.

I am finding other issues with my D90 at these speeds. I now know my doors whistle and my fiberglass top buffets over 85mph. Overall very happy.
Reply With Quote
  #333  
Old May 19th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Cube II's Avatar
Cube II
Status: Offline
Michele
1997 D90
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Italy
Posts: 902
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmarkiw View Post
Of course, there was one new JK that was intent on showing me how powerful his new Pentistar V6 was. Left him in the dust around 100mph.
Priceless
__________________
Michele
D90 VNTdi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Reply With Quote
  #334  
Old May 19th, 2014, 04:46 PM
don's Avatar
don
Status: Offline
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rumson, NJ
Posts: 4,075
Registry
The more I read about this conversion the more I want to try and talk my wife into "needing" a 110 SW vs. the G class Merc she really wants.

I am sure you pissed off a lot of Jeepers passing them up like that, haha
Reply With Quote
  #335  
Old May 20th, 2014, 05:37 AM
Rocky's Avatar
Rocky
Status: Offline
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Colonies
Posts: 7,756
How was mpg? Between your trail work and blowing off jeeps might be er "limited".
Reply With Quote
  #336  
Old May 21st, 2014, 08:13 PM
nmarkiw
Status: Offline
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
How was mpg? Between your trail work and blowing off jeeps might be er "limited".
Right. Any mpg figures from the trip home would be skewed. Next trip is Bronco Peak. That will be a good run to collect numbers.
Reply With Quote
  #337  
Old May 21st, 2014, 09:47 PM
Uncle Douglas's Avatar
Uncle Douglas
Status: Offline
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gods Country- Central Virginia
Posts: 11,258
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmarkiw View Post
Took the D90 to BigBear this weekend for trail running and camping. Some observations...

The vehicle never overheated. Even at 8000ft and continuous uphill climbing. Currently running two 1000cfm Spal electric fans. These are controlled by the ECU and staged.

The low first gear is awesome for crawling over boulders. Fantastic torque and very well behaved. Especially pulling a crippled D2 up over obstacles. (broken TC) On the down side, too much up-shifting/down-shifting between first and second gear on normal trails. I am planning on reprogramming one of the shifter detents to "start in second gear" to eliminate this. I spent half the time in high range. Loads of torque.

The only issue I ran into was making the mistake of starting the vehicle in gear. The TCU faulted and put me in limp mode. (second gear only) A two minute disconnect the of the battery cleared the fault. Hence, hooking up a neutral safety switch is advised.

The trip up and back was nice. Doing 85mph on the highway and passing Jeeps is always fun. Of course, there was one new JK that was intent on showing me how powerful his new Pentistar V6 was. Left him in the dust around 100mph. I guess the prospect of getting a speeding ticket in my D90 is now a reality.

I am finding other issues with my D90 at these speeds. I now know my doors whistle and my fiberglass top buffets over 85mph. Overall very happy.
100mph in a 90 on tall tires. You have bigger balls than I do.
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

410.693.1391


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #338  
Old May 21st, 2014, 10:26 PM
nmarkiw
Status: Offline
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
100mph in a 90 on tall tires. You have bigger balls than I do.
Balls and stupidity are interchangeable. Just for the record, I lifted at 100mph. At that point I realized how stupid this was. My buddy looked a little pale too. But I sure did have a big grin.
Reply With Quote
  #339  
Old May 22nd, 2014, 02:23 PM
Uncle Douglas's Avatar
Uncle Douglas
Status: Offline
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gods Country- Central Virginia
Posts: 11,258
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmarkiw View Post
Balls and stupidity are interchangeable. Just for the record, I lifted at 100mph. At that point I realized how stupid this was. My buddy looked a little pale too. But I sure did have a big grin.
I had a 30 series profile zr rated tire come apart @ 3 digit speed in a sports car and lived to tell about it.

Going 100 on an tall sidewall R rated tire that's often run aired down, stone bruised side walls etc would scare the hell out of me. That said, I'd probably have done the same thing.

Cheers on your new drive train it sounds like a blast.
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

410.693.1391


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #340  
Old May 22nd, 2014, 06:04 PM
]-[ @ n $'s Avatar
]-[ @ n $
Status: Offline
Hans
Hunting
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 349
Registry
I just re-read this thread from post #1. I'm so doing this.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
conversion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
110 rear disk brake conversion c2sox Defender Technical Discussions 14 September 23rd, 2016 06:23 PM
Diesel Conversion Kits and Shops ChicagoDon Misc. Chit-Chat 25 July 31st, 2012 12:58 PM
detroit diffs, shafts, AEU2522 conversion SeaRover For Sale - Parts 5 February 27th, 2006 09:34 AM
RHD to LHD conversion Reefminis Defender Technical Discussions 5 May 21st, 2005 05:23 PM
Headlamp conversion rustydefender Defender Technical Discussions 21 February 21st, 2005 09:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 AM.


Copyright