GM Gen 4 conversion including LS - Page 16 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 31st, 2014, 03:41 PM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

Agreed change the fuel gauge to VDO. Can you post a photo of the auto shifter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2014, 03:45 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

fuel

There is a problem with going directly to a VDO fuel or else I would have done it. it is a signal that VDO does not make a direct (or sell an adjustable guage for). You can see picks of the shifter that nick modifies for the 3.9 defenders done in the "SVX build" in the resto thread. If you need a closer shoot look in the tech section under lokar shifter as I believe I posted a thread awhile back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover26c View Post
Agreed change the fuel gauge to VDO. Can you post a photo of the auto shifter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2014, 03:49 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The VDO fuel gauges work with the stock Land Rover senders. You don't need to do anything other than change the gauge. You want the model 301-105, 240 to 33 Ohm range gauge. I've had one for years.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old March 31st, 2014, 03:50 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Damn it man. Replace that fuel gauge!!
Its broken. Should be reading empty.
Old March 31st, 2014, 03:55 PM
nmarkiw
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
The VDO fuel gauges work with the stock Land Rover senders. You don't need to do anything other than change the gauge. You want the model 301-105, 240 to 33 Ohm range gauge. I've had one for years.

Thanks for the info. I am off to buy one.
Old March 31st, 2014, 07:04 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

me too!

Thanks for the info just ordered the last one that summit had in stock before Nick could. Sorry Nick, I will bring my nice gauge by so you can pine for one.
Old March 31st, 2014, 07:24 PM
nmarkiw
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
Thanks for the info just ordered the last one that summit had in stock before Nick could. Sorry Nick, I will bring my nice gauge by so you can pine for one.
I already ordered mine.
Old March 31st, 2014, 07:41 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

yes

Yes but I called pretended to be you and asked if they could change my order from a VDO guage to a set of fuzzy dice and "truck nuts" now that your Defender has some serious balls on it.
Old April 4th, 2014, 10:03 AM
mattwhite
Matt White
94 D-90

Update on my project:

I got the drivetrain in the 110 around the end of February, but of course life got in the way and I haven't touched it since then. But now I have a goal, we are planning a Memorial weekend trip to Moab. There's only a 50/50 chance it will be done by then but at least it's something to work towards!

So the engine is in but it's in the wrong spot. My 110 was originally a 4 cylinder and someone at some point swapped in the 3.5 V8. It seems that they just welded the V8 mounts to the frame where ever the motor landed and not in the factory location. Anyways the t-case is an inch to far back and the intake hits the hood. So I'm going to cut the mounts and move them to the correct location.

This weekend it's wiring! I got my efi harness modified by speartech and it looks sweet. However, I couldn't bring myself to marry the brand new efi harness to a 30 year old rats nest so I picked up a 14 circuit universal chassis harness from Kiwk wire. Wish me luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1 (1).jpg
Views:	505
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	92372   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2 (1).jpg
Views:	461
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	92373  

Name:	photo 4 (2).jpg
Views:	449
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	92374  
Old April 4th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwhite View Post
Update on my project:

I got the drivetrain in the 110 around the end of February, but of course life got in the way and I haven't touched it since then. But now I have a goal, we are planning a Memorial weekend trip to Moab. There's only a 50/50 chance it will be done by then but at least it's something to work towards!

So the engine is in but it's in the wrong spot. My 110 was originally a 4 cylinder and someone at some point swapped in the 3.5 V8. It seems that they just welded the V8 mounts to the frame where ever the motor landed and not in the factory location. Anyways the t-case is an inch to far back and the intake hits the hood. So I'm going to cut the mounts and move them to the correct location.

This weekend it's wiring! I got my efi harness modified by speartech and it looks sweet. However, I couldn't bring myself to marry the brand new efi harness to a 30 year old rats nest so I picked up a 14 circuit universal chassis harness from Kiwk wire. Wish me luck!
yep the back edge of your motor mount should be where the front edge is and should be quite a bit lower. Hope you are planning to upgrade to power steering

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 4th, 2014, 01:55 PM
mattwhite
Matt White
94 D-90

Ok, I have done a little bit since those pictures. I cleaned up the frame and slapped some por-15 on it. Then installed a new meridian box.
Old April 4th, 2014, 05:07 PM
nmarkiw
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L

Cats & California

So here is the info on passing CA emissions for an "Engine Change".

1. Car engines are allowed in cars. Light truck engines are allowed in light trucks (SUV, p/u) So using an LS car engine won't pass in a Land Rover.

2. You have to use the factory original cats from/for the donor vehicle.

The Y-pipe I have now will work on non-CA applications. I ordered a factory Y-pipe to harvest the cats. The good news is this Y-pipe was cheap and fits 50 GM models from 2009-2013. It is also a 3-way catalyst. So, I will be offering both Y-pipes.

On the non-CA Y-pipe I used Magnaflow cats. Evidently the cheaper generic cats will throw codes on the Gen IV.

3. All the emissions equipment from the donor vehicle has to be installed.

Not a big deal here. Already using the GM charcoal canister, purge valve, and vent valve. The purge valve mounts on the engine, the canister and vend valve get located behind the filler neck in the fender well and replace the vapor trap. Because these are trunk motors, there are no air pumps (secondary air injection).

4. A CARB approved air box is required.

Still working on this one. AirRaid makes CARB approved systems for GM vehicles. I will see if I can find one of theirs to adapt.
Old April 4th, 2014, 06:25 PM
nmarkiw
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L

TUTD Saga

Well the TUTD (tap-up/tap-down) switch has become an issue. IT doesn't work. Turns out you can't just enable "hardwired" TUDU in the TCU. The TCU OS has to support that feature. The only TCU OS that uses it is the Corvette. SpearTech was marginally helpful regarding this information. To use the SpearTech TUTD switch, the TCU has to be re-flashed with a Corvette OS of the same year as the ECU.

I am not comfortable with mixing OS versions between the ECU and TCU. Not sure what gremlins will appear. What happens when the Corvette no longer uses the hardwired switch? Not to mention how the builder is going to accomplish re-flashing the TCU. The other option is to go the BCM route. (What MoTech offers for their Jeeps)

So, I decided to integrate the GM BCM for several reasons.
1. The backup light, neutral safety switch, TUTD switch, tow mode switch, and cruise control all are provide from this "box". ($124 on Amazon)

2. The factory cruise control is FAR better than any aftermarket cruise control.

2. Solves the the TUTD issue. Keeps the stock OS's on the ECU/TCU.

The actual wiring of the BCM is not complicated. But, it requires the GM Tech2 programmer to configure the BCM. (I now own one of these )

Don't panic Dave & Matt. The SpearTech switch will work on the BCM. I am working on the BCM offering. (Cruise Control, Tow Mode, TUTD, ...) These BCMs can be pre-programmed and sent out with an additional harness. Will use the Rostra cruise switches.

See pics of two switch options.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rostra-stock.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	92392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rostra-dash-switches.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	92393  

Old April 7th, 2014, 03:27 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Though I did the Roverworks Gen III kit and am very happy with it. Nick let me take the Gen IV for a drive all I can say is holly f*^#ing Crap that thing gets up and goes and growls under throttle! It truly and experience and the 6 speed easily picks the right gears. Wow!!!
Old April 7th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D90 truggy & 1951 S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf110 View Post
Went by Nick's place today and test drove his D90 with the GM GenIV.
All I can say is WOW!
Turn the volume up to watch the video. Enjoy.
Can you upload this to youtube... can't share with my buddies from the embedded FB link....
Old April 8th, 2014, 12:00 AM
surf110
Ze
130 Project

Here you go:

http://youtu.be/sM8rvhERM30
Old April 8th, 2014, 12:27 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
I love the levitating ash trey.
Old April 8th, 2014, 12:42 AM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D90 truggy & 1951 S1

Quote:
Thanks !
Old April 8th, 2014, 02:05 AM
AreaBFE
Olaf
1998/Disco

Nice! Would've been cool to get a visual of speedo and tach!
Quote:
Old April 8th, 2014, 11:11 PM
surf110
Ze
130 Project

Olaf. The speedo wasn't calibrated so I didn't post it it. Might have one of the tach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreaBFE View Post
Nice! Would've been cool to get a visual of speedo and tach!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
conversion