Defender Source Forum banner

GM Gen 4 conversion including LS

Tags
conversion
963K views 3K replies 280 participants last post by  LandDefender 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
O.k. I got permission from the forum member to post a few pics.

This is a GM Gen 4 mated to a 6 speed and then to the LT230. Guess what...no change needed in your drive lines as this mates up to your LT 230.

Imaging all the HP and gas mileage you could want. WOW. More to come from the forum member.

Attachments

See less See more
#697 ·
The ecm is mounted where the clutch pedal box used to be. Check it out in my build thread:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f47/mr-bean-gets-a-6l80-58706.html

I got the silver ceramic coated manifolds part #: 8501-1HKR. I don't think they had the black option way back when I bought them. Anyways, there's not much space between the frame rails and Nick's y-pipe fit perfect with the manifolds.

#698 ·
We got the RRC running this week also. We had a few very small issues that took a couple hours of scratching our heads but now it is idling smooth. Nick was way on the spot to help us out. Swapping some brake lines out before the first road test. Killed me to leave on a family vacation yesterday, but next week I hope we will be wrapping up this 5 month adventure.

#699 ·
Scott,

Nick said you had some issues with your MAP sensor? Which MAP and MAF are you running?

Mine actually only runs with the MAF unplugged (I assume it's really in limp mode now). If I plug in the the MAF the engine fires up but promptly dies. I'm running a LS3/LS7 style MAF and a Bosch MAP. I need to double check everything is wired correct, but it seems the two sensor may be contradicting each other and killing the motor.

#700 · (Edited)
Matt,

Scott is running the low, car intake manifold in his RRC. The MAP sensor is different. We used the wrong part number. One from a Gen III. Once he changed it, the high idle went away as did the P0108 DTC.

I researched the LS3 maf replacing the LS2. The calibration is different. It won't work without re-tuning. Therefore, you are best to stick with the LS2 or truck MAF.

Nick

#708 ·
With the RRC SWB we think we can use the factory x-member with a few simple fabs. I appears that we can get 2 of the 4 bolts in ... so if we add a couple inches to the brace we should be good.

On another note; I drove it for about 20min for the second time last week and I am deeply impressed with the ease this powertrain drives at....after 20 years of tooling around with the Rover 3.9, 4.0 and 4.6's to use as my benchmark...and the 4.6 was Chris Cranes Stage II mated to a Ashcroft ZF4HP24EH stuffed in a ZF4HP22 case and supposedly around 280hp. The LS Gen 4 is super smooth and handles the SWB like it is a go cart. It was very hard for me to purchase the LC9 over the L92 but now that I've driven it , and only for a short period, I made the right decision....a guy like me doesn't need 400hp. I've always been a more is better kinda guy and have impressed myself with the restraint with this decision. Plus how could I could pass up a 17k mile engine out of a 2013 truck.

#710 ·
PMed for price and availability :)
Thanks for all the info everyone. Can wait to do this to mine! :) I was thinking LS2 but realized why go over kill when an LS4, aluminum block 5.3, would do great and give me more room under the hood to work? Plus the OP is using a 5.3 and his build is giving him as much power as he could want so why not ? :)