GM Gen 4 conversion including LS - Page 13 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 6th, 2014, 11:53 AM
Iamkraig
Kraig
1987 defender 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
Motor arrived a few days ago

LC9 5.3L w 4x4 6L80e purchased as a lift out package with 40k miles came with the harness and ecu as well but I removed them already to send off to speartech to turn into a stand alone harness.
Can I ask what you paid for the lot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2014, 12:29 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamkraig View Post
Can I ask what you paid for the lot?
X2 - curious as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2014, 12:37 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Way to go Dave.
Stepped right up and in the deep end with it already !!!

Quote:
Motor arrived a few days ago

LC9 5.3L w 4x4 6L80e purchased as a lift out package with 40k miles came with the harness and ecu as well but I removed them already to send off to speartech to turn into a stand alone harness.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old March 7th, 2014, 09:58 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Nick,

It looks like you reversed the intake manifold on the one in the 90 is this required or just something you did to get the throttle body out of the way?

From what I have read it is really really easy to do and the only issue some people run into is with the oil pressure sender. Did you have to modify / change the oil pressure sender?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy View Post
Way to go Dave.
Stepped right up and in the deep end with it already !!!
I hope I can pull it off, I spent and hour on the phone with Nick before I was 100% sure I was going to give it a go and he seems like a nice guy that is willing to make it happen. Not something I could do on my own at this point but with Nicks help it sounds like it will happen. We will see if I stepped up or stepped in it

For people asking about the cost of the lift out motor package it was right about 4K shipped. there were others for less that had higher miles and I am sure if I waited around I could have found one for less but I really want to have my 90 on the road for the Rally in Sept so I have to get the process started.
Old March 7th, 2014, 10:24 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Nick,

From what I have read it is really really easy to do and the only issue some people run into is with the oil pressure sender. Did you have to modify / change the oil pressure sender?

you can shave it off, and get someone to tig weld it closed as long as you don't want the sender.
Old March 7th, 2014, 10:37 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
For people asking about the cost of the lift out motor package it was right about 4K shipped. there were others for less that had higher miles and I am sure if I waited around I could have found one for less but I really want to have my 90 on the road for the Rally in Sept so I have to get the process started.
$4k shipped doesn't seem bad. It would probably cost you that much to gain the HP (not to mention fuel efficiency) from a Rover V8. Looking forward to hearing/seeing more of your project!
Old March 7th, 2014, 11:00 AM
nmarkiw
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L

Quote:
Nick,

It looks like you reversed the intake manifold on the one in the 90 is this required or just something you did to get the throttle body out of the way?

I hope I can pull it off, I spent and hour on the phone with Nick before I was 100% sure I was going to give it a go and he seems like a nice guy that is willing to make it happen. Not something I could do on my own at this point but with Nicks help it sounds like it will happen. We will see if I stepped up or stepped in it

The intake was reversed for a couple reasons. The hood won't close and hits the throttle body. Having the throttle body in the back gets it out of the hot air and facilitates the air filter fitment.

I didn't have to modify the sender. I test fitted both the truck intake and the Camaro intake. Neither interfered with the sender.
Old March 12th, 2014, 09:15 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Another part sourced

For this swap you need to buy the hi/ lo - CDL mounting plate from an automatic 1994 - 1998 Discovery series I. this is where your CDL attaches and the plate for the shifter. I suppose if you have a 1997 with an automatic you might not need this part?

They are pretty pricey if you buy one new online ~ $120 so I opted to go to the local pull and pay and got one for $9.

Here is a picture for future reference (lifted from Ashcroft where they sell for 60 GBP).

Question for you Nick. Are the 4 holes in your Adapter in the same location as the automatic Discovery transmission? From looking at both it seems so but just wondering if you kept the exact same location.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8558a.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	91139  
Old March 12th, 2014, 09:20 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Our new LS3 and gearbox arrive on Friday. Its like waiting for Christmas to come.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old March 12th, 2014, 09:31 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Really looking forward to seeing what you come up with Mike. I am planning to go with the NAS style console as well so hopefully I can learn a few things from you along the way.
Old March 12th, 2014, 10:15 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Ok so I have read through the thread, and you all have probably done way more research than I have on this, why not develop an adapter for a GM diesel? Too heavy? All show and no go? Torque blow apart an LT-230?

There are similar companies producing stand alone harnesses for GM diesel engines...

I apologize in advance if this has been covered but I think I have read (and drooled all over myself) through all posts here
Old March 12th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
There are a lot of people running around with GM 6.2 and 6.5 diesels.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old March 12th, 2014, 10:32 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Yes, I have seen some of those conversions, but the new gen of diesel engines, the 6.6L with the VNT turbo chargers get much better economy 2007+
perhaps the engines weight it a little too much I think pushing the scales at 860#s+ with an allison transmission to match.

Just talking out loud here as the kit looks to be of very good quality and a new gen diesel would return some fantastic MPG in a defender
Old March 12th, 2014, 03:37 PM
nmarkiw
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L

Quote:
Another part sourced

For this swap you need to buy the hi/ lo - CDL mounting plate from an automatic 1994 - 1998 Discovery series I. this is where your CDL attaches and the plate for the shifter. I suppose if you have a 1997 with an automatic you might not need this part?

They are pretty pricey if you buy one new online ~ $120 so I opted to go to the local pull and pay and got one for $9.

Here is a picture for future reference (lifted from Ashcroft where they sell for 60 GBP).

Question for you Nick. Are the 4 holes in your Adapter in the same location as the automatic Discovery transmission? From looking at both it seems so but just wondering if you kept the exact same location.
Yes. This locates the transfer case shifter is the stock position. (Same as '97 D90 & D1 ZF)
Old March 12th, 2014, 03:41 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
Yes, I have seen some of those conversions, but the new gen of diesel engines, the 6.6L with the VNT turbo chargers get much better economy 2007+
perhaps the engines weight it a little too much I think pushing the scales at 860#s+ with an allison transmission to match.

Just talking out loud here as the kit looks to be of very good quality and a new gen diesel would return some fantastic MPG in a defender
I'm pretty sure those engines are much too large (physically) compared to a small block that is being used here and the small size of the 6.2/6.5.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old March 12th, 2014, 04:14 PM
nmarkiw
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
I'm pretty sure those engines are much too large (physically) compared to a small block that is being used here and the small size of the 6.2/6.5.
I helped Ryan S. stuff one of those into his NAS 110 back in 2001. That engine is the same size as a big block Chevy. Too big in my opinion. The passenger toe box had to be clipped to clear the exhaust, the bonnet had to be gutted to close, the radiator had to be moved forward,... He ended up trading it out for a 2.8L.
Old March 12th, 2014, 05:18 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Id be more worried about weight for those who traverse mud and/or snow. Your front end would sink to China.
Old March 13th, 2014, 10:16 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

On the rear RH side of the transmission adapter you have to cut off a portion of the factory mount so it will clear the transfer case it took about 5 mins with a sawzall. Here is how I did it not sure if this is where Nick recommends cutting them but it seemed like a natural place and similar to the pic he sent me. You will see a little casting nub on each end and it puts you right at the edge of the hole. An initial test fit shows that it clears now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	91166   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	91167  

Name:	image-351513981.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	475.7 KB
ID:	91168  
Old March 13th, 2014, 12:14 PM
nmarkiw
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L

Shifters

I received some questions regarding other shifter options. It all comes down to the tap-shift issue. All GM vehicles (that I know of) have the tap-up/tap-down switch connected to the BCM (body control module). Which communicates to the TCM (transmission control module) over the low speed CAN bus. Since there is no BCM in this and most conversions, it presents a problem. Luckily, the Corvette didn't have a BCM either. GM used pin 7 on the TCU for a switch directly wired to the transmissions. Thereby not needing a BCM. This "pin 7" is what we use on this conversion. This is one of the configuration changes in the TCU setup. Use pin 7 for the tap-switch.

The shifter that SpearTech sells has been modified to use "pin 7" on the TCU and not the BCM. For my Lokar setup, SpearTech provides a tap-switch ($150) you can mount anywhere. Either way, the tap-switch wiring option is required when ordering the SpearTech harness rework.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tssb-2.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	91169  
Old March 13th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
These guys have a pretty cool tap shift kit they are using in JK/LS conversions. http://www.lswrangler.com/cruise-con...tap-shift.html

Here is video of their cruize control and tap up tap down. Pretty cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
conversion