Defender Source Forum banner

GM Gen 4 conversion including LS

Tags
conversion
963K views 3K replies 280 participants last post by  LandDefender 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
O.k. I got permission from the forum member to post a few pics.

This is a GM Gen 4 mated to a 6 speed and then to the LT230. Guess what...no change needed in your drive lines as this mates up to your LT 230.

Imaging all the HP and gas mileage you could want. WOW. More to come from the forum member.

Attachments

See less See more
#584 · (Edited)
Not sure what you mean, all I was thinking about was moving the engine over sideways to use a pair of stock manifolds, just thinking out loud.... Esp if there cheap from the local pick-a-part ;)

Why do I make more work... cause I enjoy the challenge.... if I didn't have the D100, I'd have a custom rock crawler.... Have a great Christmas !

#585 ·
I have a custom rockcrawler. Packaging is sometimes even harder. In fact, on mine, I have a LQ4 with a corvette manifold on one side, and a truck manifold mounted backwards on the other for clearance. The 'y' pipe runs in front of the oil pan.

#587 · (Edited)
My drive line is already custom as I've streached the w/b to 100" and am fitting a doubler behind the NV4500....

Either way, all I was saying was would it matter that much if the engine was centred side to side between the frame rails but leaving the t'case on its OEM mounts to use OEM GM manifolds.... You would retain the LR drive shafts.

How about just swapping Nicks engine mounts side/side ?

#589 ·
Moving over an inch or so doesn't affect driveshafts. Early 4 cylinder drivetrain is an inch left of where the 300tdi drivetrain sits. With no change to the diff position.

#591 ·
Thanks for the heads up, Nick. Once I get my drive line in I'm going to drop my short block in & do a trial fit before finalizing the engine mount install. Will prob end up with the Hookers but am interested to see how centering the engine goes.

BTW, if I move the engine back 1" to accommodate my radiators shroud ,will I run into any problems at the bulkhead ?

Thanks....

#603 · (Edited)
Wouldn't that be a game changer. I'd wager that most D90/110's are still running on their original Vee-Eights while many Discovery II's have died due to bad block syndrome.
But since the value just isn't there; would it be worth it?

.[/QUOTE]

I have a buddy who had a Disco II that suffered from bad block syndrome....

Great thread - nice work

#604 ·
I'm rebuilding my D2's motor at present, if an LS option would have been available now I'd have gone that route. Even a high km LM7 would be a better bet than a 4.6. For what I've spent on the 4.6 top hat block rebuild I could have virtually paid for the conversion.

#605 ·
Coming late to the party here but I just had to ask this question on an 'outside chance' things might go my way.

I'm in the planning stages of a rebuild of my 1967 109 nada. The engine has already been swapped out and a lot of the current body panels are pilfered from other trucks so I'm not worrying about originality. I'm getting a new chassis built regardless. I 'was' planning to have it built with coil springs to suit a 300 tdi drivetrain but I have the option of any land rover parts at no extra cost. I was briefly considering doing a complete discovery v8 drivetrain but I'm not crazy about that engine. As part of the coil/disc brake/ PS conversion I'll be running with disco axles/wheels/ steering.

so the Question: Is there any way to set up the chassis to fit this conversion and retain the series front body work (i could handle moving the headlights to the wings if it made the difference)

If so I'd love a PM with the pricing info and shopping list

Thanks

#609 ·
Coming late to the party here but I just had to ask this question on an 'outside chance' things might go my way.

I'm in the planning stages of a rebuild of my 1967 109 nada. The engine has already been swapped out and a lot of the current body panels are pilfered from other trucks so I'm not worrying about originality. I'm getting a new chassis built regardless. I 'was' planning to have it built with coil springs to suit a 300 tdi drivetrain but I have the option of any land rover parts at no extra cost. I was briefly considering doing a complete discovery v8 drivetrain but I'm not crazy about that engine. As part of the coil/disc brake/ PS conversion I'll be running with disco axles/wheels/ steering.

so the Question: Is there any way to set up the chassis to fit this conversion and retain the series front body work (i could handle moving the headlights to the wings if it made the difference)

If this helps, this is my 109 with a 3.9, I was able to keep the radiator support in posistion, in phase two I am considering the GEM4 instead of a diesel so I expect it to fit just fine while keeping the headlights. Oh and the chassi is a 95 discovery stretched.

#606 ·
Stock Trans Cooler Lines

Nick,
Any reason I could not modify and use my stock GM transmission cooler lines? My thought would be to use existing routing and then connect to cooler using flex lines. Looks like it should clear front drive shaft but wanted to see if there was anything you found that might cause me to reconsider.

Attachments

#607 ·
Nick,
Any reason I could not modify and use my stock GM transmission cooler lines? My thought would be to use existing routing and then connect to cooler using flex lines. Looks like it should clear front drive shaft but wanted to see if there was anything you found that might cause me to reconsider.
Matt,

I looked at doing that but found out the driveline will eventually hit the lines on the right side.
So I went the other route.

#612 ·
Sorry don't want to hijack just tryimg to respond to "Rambler Rods" post I plan to start a Build thread in February after paint is complete

But to answer the bulkhead clearance question attached is a photo. the interior tunnel was built by a PO when the installed a ZF. I was done ok so I choose to leave it. We had to rebuild the underseat storage boxes as they had been removed.

Bulkhead is bolted and welded this was due to the bottom attached points of the bulkhead falling off when we removed it:eek: and I couldn't find a clean bulkhead for a reasonable cost details later. A compromise that I had to make for a number of reasons
More in seperate post

I think the GM 4 and six speed would be a nice fit, even though I prefer a diesel

Attachments

#615 ·
Lhd rrc

It has come to my attention on the RRC, LHD, with air suspension there is and interference issue. The left, outboard shock tower will hit the GM power steering pump.

You have two options. Convert to coils and move the shocks inboard (inside the coil spring). Or someone can send me a shock tower so I can build one that doesn't interfere with the power steering pump.

Attachments

#617 ·
What's your timeframe? I am sure some of our RRC hoarders here have one, but if not, I could send you one in about a month (I'm taking it to galvy later this month so can't send it right now). Just need it back in a couple of months.

Or someone can send me a shock tower so I can build one that doesn't interfere with the power steering pump.

#618 ·
6.2L on the wayyyyyy

Purchased a used complete 2013 6.2L 6L80E 4wd from gas huffer. I have the adapter kit sitting at SWR Automotive in Albuquerque, along with the majority of the items from the BOM list. Probably like most, I ran into the issue of Rover-Tracks not being on line anymore, but I already have their exhaust system in the Discovery 1. Fingers crossed I don't need any of the items from the list.

I went with the ceramic coated exhaust manifolds, instead of plain...don't like rust. I wanted to get an upgraded/updated intake. Very few available on the market. The one from FAST, and another new one from MSD...both have received less than favorable reviews. Apparently they are great if you have a modified engine that needs the air volume, but for a stock motor, you can very little for the $900 manifold, and $350 105mm throttle body.

I may get an upgraded four core brass radiator, but will wait until the engine is in, and I can get true clearance measurements. Can't wait till the motor arrives!!!! Rob Dassler will be doing the work, and it's going to be a Beta for several others that are waiting in line for this update/upgrade. http://www.swrautomotive.net

Here are some pics of the desert beast it's going into:

#624 ·
I was doing some gear ratio calculations for my upcoming swap. Aerodynamics aside, the theoretical top speed of the 6.2L Camaro engine and trans with 33" tires is 176 mph if you keep the 1.41 high range. If you switch to 1.22, it's 204. :rofl

Seriously though, I built a spreadsheet to figure out final drive ratios and whatnot. My Camaro donor vehicle has a first gear overall ratio of 13:1. 1.22 high range gives a 1st gear ratio of 17:1, 1.41 high range is 20:1 in 1st.

Factoring in the 33's in 6th gear, 1.41 high range should turn about 2000 rpm @ 60 mph, and 2600 @ 75. 1.22 high range turns 2000 rpm @ 68, with 2200 @ 75. By contrast, the camaro is 2000 rpm @ 70...pretty darn close to the 1.22/33" combo (3.54 stock diff gears). It's even closer for 35's.

I'll probably stick with the 1.41 simply because I'm in CO. Lacking O2, and climbing big hills takes more rpm. Plus, the camaro is tuned for premium, a new tune for mid-grade will drop the power and torque a little. For you flat-landers though, you might consider switching to the 1.22 for better cruising.

Low range 1st gear crawl ratio is 42.26:1. By comparison, my crawler running a LQ4 6.0L, TH400, 3.4 Atlas, 5.13 gears and 42" tires is 43.26:1 and does just fine.

#625 ·
I'm running 1.003:1 LT230, 4.11 gears and 35" tires. The only way you will get any mileage out of these LS engines is to keep the RPMs down at highway speeds. It has plenty of torque. Plus you want an overdrive gear on the highway not a business gear.

With this setup I have plenty of power. On the highway it was in 5th and 6th. 6th on the straights, 5th uphill, 4th to pass. And this is a 5.3L not a 6.2L.

Just my two cents. You should consider the highway cruising speeds/RPMs not top speed. First gear is plenty low enough. Interesting calcs though. Don't really want to take my D90 more than 100MPH. Except if I have to humiliate a J**p. :cool: (very gratifying)

My Silverado has a 6.0L (LY6), 6L90e, 3.73 gears (Eaton 14-bolt w/locker), and 31" tires. Of course the transfer case is 1:1. It can tow 11,000 lbs. I can tow a D90 on my BigTex trailer uphill at 65MPH without breaking a sweet. Plug those numbers into your spread sheet and see how they compare. This definitely is an issue that you must work out for your conversion. Most cases you will have to jump up a ratio in the LT230.