GM Gen 4 conversion including LS - Page 12 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 25th, 2014, 11:32 AM
nmarkiw
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Not all pedals provide the same input. I am using a td5 pedal for my EV and it's got two potentiometers which provide the inverse value of each other, and the sum if the two always comes out to 100% of full throttle as a checksum. The ecu or controller may not be able to support this and he said "plug and play". Even if you just used one potentiometer and ignored the safety feature the voltage range may not match and may be difficult to configure it something.
I do have a Td5 pedal complements of surf110. I took initial resistance measurements of both the GM Silverado pedal and the TD5. I have yet to graph these in Excel to verify the both pedals have the correct ratios. I also have to locate the proper connector to mate to the GM harness for an adapter to the TD5. I will get to it, just don't have time right now. The TD5 pedal doesn't just bolt in. Different pattern.

The Lokar actuator is manufactured by Williams Controls and is a Hall Effect device. No potentiometers to wear out. Williams Controls supply the mobile industrial community. CAT, John Deer, ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2014, 11:42 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I can get you the connector info. Maybe tonight otherwise one if these evenings. Ping me if I forget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2014, 12:11 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Nick any programing needed for the lokar accelerator pedal or can I just buy one off the shelf?
Old February 25th, 2014, 01:01 PM
nmarkiw
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
Nick any programing needed for the lokar accelerator pedal or can I just buy one off the shelf?
No changes required. Comes with the correct GM connector. Just plug it in and start it up.
Old February 25th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
Stop talking, she hasn't thought of that so keep those thoughts to yourself

Of course, many wives-mine included, don't know the first thing about our gas mileage.

If I told her the "old" motor got 5 mpg and this "new" LS gets 30mpg, she'd say "well I guess that's better; good thing you did it..."

Now, to make sure I don't leave this page up in the kitchen...

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old February 25th, 2014, 01:24 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

OH my wife can do the math on how much fuel I use in a week....

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old February 25th, 2014, 01:28 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
From what I recall, the GM and TD5 potentiometers are very similiar, I don't see why with a little work, the GM couldn't be adapted to the TD5 pedal assembly itself.
Old February 25th, 2014, 02:26 PM
nmarkiw
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcowdungbeetle View Post
From what I recall, the GM and TD5 potentiometers are very similiar, I don't see why with a little work, the GM couldn't be adapted to the TD5 pedal assembly itself.
Are you referring to the two track or three track Td5 pedal. I believe the two track (the one I have) is wired like the GM. Two potentiometers with different slopes. Both wired to produce positive voltage on actuation. (0-5vdc) The three track Td5 has one pot wired in reverse as a means of verification.

After all that, we need to see what the pedal response is like. It may still throw a code. We will have to see. Anyone have more info on this?

I think I found the GM mating connector at Mouser, 15326833
Old February 26th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Shane@EVS
Roverhybrids

Is it possible to convert the car transmission to 4x4 by swapping out the tailhousing?
Old February 26th, 2014, 11:25 AM
nmarkiw
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane@EVS View Post
Is it possible to convert the car transmission to 4x4 by swapping out the tailhousing?
You will have to change the tail housing to the 4x4 case adapter for sure. (~$98 new) ...and replace the output shaft on the transmission. That requires disassembling the transmission by a transmission shop. Usually costs about $250 plus the new 4x4 shaft.

At that point, you could ship me your ECU and TCU/valve body out of the trans for reprogramming.
Old February 26th, 2014, 07:17 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Not sure if it will help anyone but there is a sticker with the different codes on the vehicle that you can use to find out a little more information.

For example the code for the 6l80e transmission is MYC
The motor code is also listed on this sticker in the case of the one show here LC9

I found it helpful when looking on ebay as many of the dismantlers post a pic of the sticker so I could at least know what motor/ trans and then just needed to figure out if it was 4x4 or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tag.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	90402  
Old February 28th, 2014, 03:50 AM
jakeslouw
Jakes Louw
1962 Series 2A

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmarkiw View Post
Are you referring to the two track or three track Td5 pedal. I believe the two track (the one I have) is wired like the GM. Two potentiometers with different slopes. Both wired to produce positive voltage on actuation. (0-5vdc) The three track Td5 has one pot wired in reverse as a means of verification.

After all that, we need to see what the pedal response is like. It may still throw a code. We will have to see. Anyone have more info on this?

I think I found the GM mating connector at Mouser, 15326833
You should be able to calibrate the pedal to the ECU? All you need to do is let the ECU know where closed throttle and open throttle is and Bob's your Aunty?
Old February 28th, 2014, 07:21 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

I though bob's your uncle
Old February 28th, 2014, 07:23 AM
jakeslouw
Jakes Louw
1962 Series 2A

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
I though bob's your uncle
Only outside of Australia.
Old February 28th, 2014, 08:10 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Yes you'd think that's all it would take but I nothing about those ecus
Old February 28th, 2014, 09:26 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Been looking for a particular set up and haven't been able to find it yet. Anybody know if and if so what years/models GM put an LY6/6L80e 4WD set up in?
Old February 28th, 2014, 10:25 PM
robertf
Robert F
1995 Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Yes you'd think that's all it would take but I nothing about those ecus
My roommate in college did an 8100 swap in an 80s pickup truck and I remember it didn't run with the first pedal and pedal module combination. There is some split and not all were compatabile though they had the same part number on it. I do remember measuring 3 pots on it that all worked.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 04:52 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
Not sure if it will help anyone but there is a sticker with the different codes on the vehicle that you can use to find out a little more information.

For example the code for the 6l80e transmission is MYC
The motor code is also listed on this sticker in the case of the one show here LC9

I found it helpful when looking on ebay as many of the dismantlers post a pic of the sticker so I could at least know what motor/ trans and then just needed to figure out if it was 4x4 or not.

That's the build sheet sticker showing all the "options" added to that truck at the factory. Eg z71 is one most folk know.
Old March 6th, 2014, 11:00 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Motor arrived a few days ago

LC9 5.3L w 4x4 6L80e purchased as a lift out package with 40k miles came with the harness and ecu as well but I removed them already to send off to speartech to turn into a stand alone harness.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-102173995.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	541.4 KB
ID:	90805  
Old March 6th, 2014, 11:21 AM
spanto
peter
None

Nice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
conversion