GM Gen 4 conversion including LS - Page 117 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #2321  
Old November 7th, 2017, 12:27 PM
Mostlymonki
Status: Offline
Matt
1998 130, 1988 110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
The one assumption of course is that the light blue wire is the tss signal wire. Haven't looked it up...
No that makes sense. Reading around a bit more has confirmed it pretty much. Here's what I've wired up. If I swap the switched 12v to 87, and put a ground on 87a instead it should work and allow led brake lights. I'll do this at the weekend and report back!

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2322  
Old November 7th, 2017, 12:47 PM
nmarkiw's Avatar
nmarkiw
Status: Offline
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostlymonki View Post
No that makes sense. Reading around a bit more has confirmed it pretty much. Here's what I've wired up. If I swap the switched 12v to 87, and put a ground on 87a instead it should work and allow led brake lights. I'll do this at the weekend and report back!

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
This is incorrect. The 6l80 uses +12v to signal the brake switch. No relay required. Unlike the previous 4Lxx transmissions. Wire this directly to the brake light circuit. Verify the signal through your scanner.

Also, this signal has little impact on the TCC. It is still required. No TCC until 3rd gear. Release the throttle and the TCC unlocks.
Reply With Quote
  #2323  
Old November 7th, 2017, 01:20 PM
Mostlymonki
Status: Offline
Matt
1998 130, 1988 110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmarkiw View Post
This is incorrect. The 6l80 uses +12v to signal the brake switch. No relay required. Unlike the previous 4Lxx transmissions. Wire this directly to the brake light circuit. Verify the signal through your scanner.

Also, this signal has little impact on the TCC. It is still required. No TCC until 3rd gear. Release the throttle and the TCC unlocks.
Yeah but if I change the 12v to the other 87 terminal (not the one in the pic) then it gets 12v at brakes 'on' - same as if it were wired directly to the switch. And ground on the other terminal sorts out the problem of no ground through led brake lamps.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

------ Follow up post added November 7th, 2017 07:27 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostlymonki View Post
Yeah but if I change the 12v to the other 87 terminal (not the one in the pic) then it gets 12v at brakes 'on' - same as if it were wired directly to the switch. And ground on the other terminal sorts out the problem of no ground through led brake lamps.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
It will also need a resistor on the ground (now on 87a)... as the filament in the brake light bulb acts as a pull-down resistor to ground. That's why a resistor needs to be added into the circuit if/when you run LED tail lights (because an LED has no filament and does not allow current to flow backwards through it).

See what I mean?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2324  
Old November 7th, 2017, 03:38 PM
Factoid's Avatar
Factoid
Status: Offline
Mark
Three criminals seeking revenge
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: San Antonio, TX/Putnam Valley, NY
Posts: 665
Registry
I think the point here is that you only need the 12v when the brakes are applied and the signal can float when the brakes are not applied. No ground required.
__________________
1976 Series III 109 "Montoya" ("You killed my father, prepare to die")
1988 Defender 90 LHD "Vizzini" (speed demon from Sicily)
1987 Defender 90 MOD LHD "fezzik" (giant rock thrower)
1975 Porsche 911 hot rod
1964 Porsche (Beck) 904
Reply With Quote
  #2325  
Old November 13th, 2017, 07:43 AM
Mostlymonki
Status: Offline
Matt
1998 130, 1988 110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 56
OK it's moving! I wired it up with the relay and ground just in case (as I already had it installed it was easier to just move the connectors around).

One odd think though - when I'm in drive, hp tuners/vcm scanner shows the prndl status as "invalid". It still goes through the gears fine though. I might need to adjust the shifter a little, as "d6" and what should be drive are very close... but there's definitely no "drive" showing up in the scanner.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #2326  
Old November 23rd, 2017, 12:53 PM
Factoid's Avatar
Factoid
Status: Offline
Mark
Three criminals seeking revenge
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: San Antonio, TX/Putnam Valley, NY
Posts: 665
Registry
I posted this video in my build thread, but thought I would add it to this thread also to keep them all together. My new axles should be here on Monday, so first drive may happen on Tuesday and I’m stoked!

https://youtu.be/HBXRVxtdqUw
__________________
1976 Series III 109 "Montoya" ("You killed my father, prepare to die")
1988 Defender 90 LHD "Vizzini" (speed demon from Sicily)
1987 Defender 90 MOD LHD "fezzik" (giant rock thrower)
1975 Porsche 911 hot rod
1964 Porsche (Beck) 904
Reply With Quote
  #2327  
Old December 1st, 2017, 05:38 PM
KeithKeir
Status: Offline
Keith Keir
Landrover Defender TD5 1999
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Inverness, Scotland
Posts: 3
Hi guys new guy here!

Been looking over the posts on here about the LS swaps and am considering this route myself, but so far only able to find a 4L70E box, found sizes on-line comparing to the 6L80E.

AWD/4WD Transmission (bellhousing to end of output shaft)
4L70: 26.875"
6L80: 27.125" [+.250"]
6L90: 28.625" [+1.750"]

As I live in the UK sourcing parts and having to pay customs and VAT when importing could get real expensive, but have found a place in the UK that can supply LS3 engine + harness and a 4L70E box with control that I take it would be the same as the Connect & Cruise Powertrain System available from Chevrolet.

Is there any reason for a 6L80E over the 4l70E that would mean not being able to go for this set up?
Reply With Quote
  #2328  
Old December 1st, 2017, 06:02 PM
nmarkiw's Avatar
nmarkiw
Status: Offline
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithKeir View Post
Hi guys new guy here!

Been looking over the posts on here about the LS swaps and am considering this route myself, but so far only able to find a 4L70E box, found sizes on-line comparing to the 6L80E.

AWD/4WD Transmission (bellhousing to end of output shaft)
4L70: 26.875"
6L80: 27.125" [+.250"]
6L90: 28.625" [+1.750"]

As I live in the UK sourcing parts and having to pay customs and VAT when importing could get real expensive, but have found a place in the UK that can supply LS3 engine + harness and a 4L70E box with control that I take it would be the same as the Connect & Cruise Powertrain System available from Chevrolet.

Is there any reason for a 6L80E over the 4l70E that would mean not being able to go for this set up?
GMPP never supported the 6L80/90. Therefore, E-Rod and Connect &Cruise won't communicate with the 6L80.

My adapter and other parts won't work with the 4Lxx transmissions.
Reply With Quote
  #2329  
Old December 1st, 2017, 09:39 PM
Landy_Andy's Avatar
Landy_Andy
Status: Offline
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Revelstoke, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithKeir View Post
As I live in the UK sourcing parts and having to pay customs and VAT when importing could get real expensive
Chat to Rob Butler at ORA, they import LS motors & tranny's all the time for buggy builds. Might save a few quid on shipping.

Off-Road Armoury
__________________
D100 5.3 LM7 Gen III powered truggy under construction....
Reply With Quote
  #2330  
Old December 1st, 2017, 10:01 PM
KeithKeir
Status: Offline
Keith Keir
Landrover Defender TD5 1999
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Inverness, Scotland
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmarkiw View Post
GMPP never supported the 6L80/90. Therefore, E-Rod and Connect &Cruise won't communicate with the 6L80.

My adapter and other parts won't work with the 4Lxx transmissions.
Aaah ok thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy_Andy View Post
Chat to Rob Butler at ORA, they import LS motors & tranny's all the time for buggy builds. Might save a few quid on shipping.
Thanks for the info I'll give them a little look.
Reply With Quote
  #2331  
Old December 4th, 2017, 04:33 PM
Mostlymonki
Status: Offline
Matt
1998 130, 1988 110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithKeir View Post
Hi guys new guy here!

Been looking over the posts on here about the LS swaps and am considering this route myself, but so far only able to find a 4L70E box, found sizes on-line comparing to the 6L80E.

AWD/4WD Transmission (bellhousing to end of output shaft)
4L70: 26.875"
6L80: 27.125" [+.250"]
6L90: 28.625" [+1.750"]

As I live in the UK sourcing parts and having to pay customs and VAT when importing could get real expensive, but have found a place in the UK that can supply LS3 engine + harness and a 4L70E box with control that I take it would be the same as the Connect & Cruise Powertrain System available from Chevrolet.

Is there any reason for a 6L80E over the 4l70E that would mean not being able to go for this set up?
Stuff like the mounts and the shifter bracket and diff lock levers are all designed around the 6l80 and fit perfectly to lign everything up and have the transfer box sitting in the standard location. If it helps, I shipped a complete l92 and 6l80 from the us to the UK using a company that does part container loads for about 5k all in. The breakers shipped to the shipping company, then I collected from the docks a couple of months later.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #2332  
Old December 8th, 2017, 12:10 PM
defender1844
Status: Offline
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 574
latest from Dakota Digital

I had to send my control box and gauge to Dakota to get the latest firmware release but TPMS is now an option. Their kit includes 4 valves stems and 2 add on small boxes but it works fine. You have to drive about a mile to get the sensors to wake up. Most of us have the VHX-1018 gauge. I also worked with them to get a matte black ring instead of the chrome.

VHX-1018: Universal 4.4" x 11.4" Rounded Rectangle, Analog VHX Instrument

Recently they came out with the HDX-1018 gauge with center LED screen and that shows a more modern picture of the vehicle with the tire pressures. If I were starting over I'd get the HDX but I don't feel strongly enough to upgrade.

Regardless Dakota has been awesome to work with and here is proof TPMS works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4990.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	333233  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
conversion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
110 rear disk brake conversion c2sox Defender Technical Discussions 14 September 23rd, 2016 06:23 PM
Diesel Conversion Kits and Shops ChicagoDon Misc. Chit-Chat 25 July 31st, 2012 12:58 PM
detroit diffs, shafts, AEU2522 conversion SeaRover For Sale - Parts 5 February 27th, 2006 09:34 AM
RHD to LHD conversion Reefminis Defender Technical Discussions 5 May 21st, 2005 05:23 PM
Headlamp conversion rustydefender Defender Technical Discussions 21 February 21st, 2005 09:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 AM.


Copyright