GM Gen 4 conversion including LS - Page 101 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 16th, 2017, 11:07 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I'll put in the shaft and check soon. It is ridiculously tight at the flange for sure 1/8"-1/4" but maybe it splays a little-- we will see soon. As for overall length, I'll measure and check that soon and I'll I'll grab more photos--I was so beat at the end of the day (plus it was hot-- I was definitely getting dehydrated) that I was only getting it in-- not many photos yet. Ive a long row to hoe before this one fires up but I can see the big picture and am enjoying the process. That's best of all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2017, 12:44 AM
Omero
Omar Alomar
2000 D110 CSW 6.2 LS (was TD5)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
I'll put in the shaft and check soon. It is ridiculously tight at the flange for sure 1/8"-1/4" but maybe it splays a little-- we will see soon. As for overall length, I'll measure and check that soon and I'll I'll grab more photos--I was so beat at the end of the day (plus it was hot-- I was definitely getting dehydrated) that I was only getting it in-- not many photos yet. Ive a long row to hoe before this one fires up but I can see the big picture and am enjoying the process. That's best of all
Remember, you need to trim the bellhousing as it will hit the front of the shaft.

As of the output flange, I have 2-3mm of clearance to the pan but it should be fine as there's no relative movement between the parts.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Old July 17th, 2017, 01:47 AM
nmarkiw
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L

Quote:
Put the adapter on today and the engine in the car. Could things I wanted to share.

1) the adapter is a very tight fit on the transmission. I added some anti-seize and used the bolts to pull it together.

2) Putting on the LT230 alone is rather tricky and heavy. Just is.

And, most important:

3) If you are running the output flange of a DiscoII so that you can run the DII front shaft, then you will run into clearance issues with the transmission lock lever. As in the mounting bolts hit the lever. I trimmed off the lever. That flange runs super duper close to the transmission case I don't think it is possible to change the flange without dropping the transmission pan.

good thing I changed all the seals before mounting it all together!

Yes, you have to trim the locking lever on the T43 connector.

You can't run a D2 flange. Too large in diameter. The u-joint will hit the trans.

You can't run lowered suspension. The driveline will impact the bell housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2017, 08:33 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmarkiw View Post
Yes, you have to trim the locking lever on the T43 connector.

You can't run a D2 flange. Too large in diameter. The u-joint will hit the trans.
Are you sure about the D2 driveline? It all bolts up and turns freely. I suppose at full articulation it may impact but as the driveline angles away from the trans towards the diff, the only point of clearance is at the flange and I just don't see the interference (yet).

Have you tried it and actually had impact?
Old July 17th, 2017, 11:37 AM
nmarkiw
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L

Quote:
Are you sure about the D2 driveline? It all bolts up and turns freely. I suppose at full articulation it may impact but as the driveline angles away from the trans towards the diff, the only point of clearance is at the flange and I just don't see the interference (yet).

Have you tried it and actually had impact?
You should post a picture of the front drive line. Is that an LR D2 shaft or GBR?
The more configurations that people try and fit can be added to the list of successes.

As Omero stated, you will have to trim the nub off the bell housing. Maybe more.
The 130 I just completed with a stock lift had to be trimmed past the nub.
Old July 17th, 2017, 11:51 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I trimmed the nub and shaved the housing as you showed in the pics for the LT230 linkage--that part was fine. The bolts on the drive shaft flange hit the locking lever and I shaved that too--no sweat. I put the drive shaft on the flange, including bolts, and it turns just great--but that is with the level suspension and not with the articulation so I need to figure that out to make sure. I am using the DII output flange on the LT230 front output and the stock DII drive shaft. I'll let folks know what I find out. I will play with the droop using my highlift and post up.
Old July 17th, 2017, 10:20 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

So I took a close look and I just don't see any issue with the DII output flange and the DII double cardon shaft. It is close, but I can't see a scenario when it hits... At the LT230 output flange is as close as it gets. It then angles out from the diff...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DII Clearance.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	271506   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2347.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	271514  

Name:	Front of shaft clearance.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	271522  
Old July 17th, 2017, 10:38 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factoid View Post
How close does the front shaft come to the length of the tranny/engine and the front differential? That's one of my biggest concerns as I'm lowered 2" and plan on welding up my own exhaust.
I measured the distance from the flange to flange if that is what you want. My front diff points rather upwards--I am not positive if that is normal---I have a 2" OME lift that I am sure has sagged a little, but even with the lift, it is tilted a bit up---so I have two measurements as it is closer at the bottom (flange to flange) than the top. They are 25.25" and 26.25".

My LT230 and front diff are a it of a different angle. I may want to look at that a little more later and get some castor corrected components...
Old July 17th, 2017, 10:41 PM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

Is there any reason that no one swaps the truck water pump out for the Camaro one?
Same spacing ( I have both) but the outlet sticks out forward on the drivers side.
I would think a short "S" hose would work or does that make it too tight?
Old July 17th, 2017, 10:48 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Oh, and I got a little jewelry today. Thanks, Nick! Nice work. Just wish this piece of kit wasn't hidden!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2342.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	271530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Y pipe.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	271538  

Old July 17th, 2017, 10:55 PM
nmarkiw
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverC View Post
Is there any reason that no one swaps the truck water pump out for the Camaro one?

Same spacing ( I have both) but the outlet sticks out forward on the drivers side.

I would think a short "S" hose would work or does that make it too tight?

That pump interferes with the alt/ps bracket.

Old July 18th, 2017, 12:10 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

What power steering fluid are you folks using in this "hybrid" set up? I currently use ATF in my steering system when it was a 4.6. The GEN 4 power steering pump says to use GM 89021184 which is a power steering fluid. So I can go either direction---what is the current leaning, go with what the steering box used to use or go with what the steering pump used to use... ?
Old July 18th, 2017, 12:45 AM
Omero
Omar Alomar

Registry
Quote:
So I took a close look and I just don't see any issue with the DII output flange and the DII double cardon shaft. It is close, but I can't see a scenario when it hits... At the LT230 output flange is as close as it gets. It then angles out from the diff...
Trim here or your shaft will get smashed at the first speed bump. I found it useful to unbolt the front flange and simulate the shaft motion to see where it touches the bellhousing and trim accordingly.
Old July 18th, 2017, 12:50 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Cool--so you end up trimming in two places--one as shown right above and then the other at the tail of the tranny so that the adapter fits. Got it. Thanks!
Old July 18th, 2017, 12:54 AM
nmarkiw
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L

Quote:
What power steering fluid are you folks using in this "hybrid" set up? I currently use ATF in my steering system when it was a 4.6. The GEN 4 power steering pump says to use GM 89021184 which is a power steering fluid. So I can go either direction---what is the current leaning, go with what the steering box used to use or go with what the steering pump used to use... ?

The GM power steering fluid is awesome.

Old July 18th, 2017, 01:18 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Do you get the actual GM or the valvoine or AMSoil equivalent?
Old July 18th, 2017, 08:15 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Can someone elaborate on the trimming that needs to be done?
Old July 18th, 2017, 08:25 AM
Factoid
Mark
Three criminals seeking revenge

Registry
The lug on the right side of the 4wd tail housing just forward of the adapter (see Nick's pics in his Dropbox). Recommended you trim before installation of the adapter/TC.

The bell housing below the starter. On this one, there are enough variations in configuration and tolerances that I plan on analyzing and determining the extent of trimming and any adjustment required once the drivetrain is in place.
1975 Porsche 911 hot rod
1964 Porsche (Beck) 904
Old July 18th, 2017, 08:28 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Ok I did the tail housing had no idea about the bell housing. I will have to get under there and look at it.

Any better pics of the area on the bell housing?
Old July 18th, 2017, 09:26 AM
Omero
Omar Alomar

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
Ok I did the tail housing had no idea about the bell housing. I will have to get under there and look at it.

Any better pics of the area on the bell housing?
Few posts back ... Zoom on the little arc

You also need to trim a bit for the diff lock mechanism

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
conversion