Glowplug stripped out of casing - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 16th, 2013, 02:34 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Glowplug stripped out of casing

I'm in the DR fixing up a 300tdi. Went to replace the glow plugs and the top broke off one and the casing came out without the glow tip.

Any suggestions to get it out? Tried pulling and nothing. Pushing, noting. I think massive carbon build up has resulted it in being stuck in there. Tried prying and nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3900796607.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	526.7 KB
ID:	68259  
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 16th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Not what you want to hear or do, but you'll have to pull the head.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old March 16th, 2013, 02:42 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Spray a bunch of PBBlaster, WD40, etc, soaking the thread area as much as possible. Then just drive around till it liberates itself. Keep a new plug and a socket handy to install it when the stuck one dislodges itself.
Good read below:
Snapped Glow Plug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 16th, 2013, 03:22 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Off with the head!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Not what you want to hear or do, but you'll have to pull the head.
Yeah... what he said.
Our machine shop had to make a special punch to drive our stuck glow plugs out.
Sort of a punch with the tip indented to accept the glow plug tip profile.

Read up on the head torque sequence before you reassemble as it is a 4 step process.
Pendy walked me through my first time years ago... what a great guy.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old March 16th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If all the threaded part came out and the tip is stuck in there, drive it. The heat/cool cycle will loosen it and the cylinder pressure will pop it out. Try to stop as soon as it pops and put in a new one to prevent the threads being damaged from the flow of gas.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old March 16th, 2013, 04:26 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Drive it till it pops out is one of the worst ideas I have heard.

Lets say it dislodges, doesnt "pop" out, but falls back down into the cylinder? Now youre out a block, head, and piston.

Do it once, the right way. Take off the head and have it removed at a machine shop. Or work it a little more where it is with a slide hammer and some PB blaster and/or light heat.
Old March 16th, 2013, 07:48 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Thanks guys. Man this is going to suck. Julian, if you read this thread give me a call. I want to know where you can get a 3 hole head gasket and bolt set here in the DR.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old March 16th, 2013, 09:06 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
Thanks guys. Man this is going to suck. Julian, if you read this thread give me a call. I want to know where you can get a 3 hole head gasket and bolt set here in the DR.
I may have both here at my place...if you need me to mail them to you, I can be talked into it. Let me know.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old March 16th, 2013, 09:44 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
Drive it till it pops out is one of the worst ideas I have heard.

Lets say it dislodges, doesnt "pop" out, but falls back down into the cylinder? Now youre out a block, head, and piston.

Do it once, the right way. Take off the head and have it removed at a machine shop. Or work it a little more where it is with a slide hammer and some PB blaster and/or light heat.
It won't fall in. There is no suction and only pressure. I've done this before on TDIs and it always works. The plugs break quite easily and they are usually quite stuck. They just pop right out once the head heats up a bit.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old March 16th, 2013, 11:22 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

The truck will not start which I find a bit strange seeing as its 90 degrees here. I guess it does need the plugs.

So I may tow it with my shitty Kai rental and hopefully pop start it and let it run for a bit and maybe see if the plugs pop out. I have them soaking in WD40 right now where they are.

If not, heads coming off and I'll have to come back down or see if my uncle can do it himself after I send him the parts.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old March 16th, 2013, 11:34 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Daniel,
Do you have all the glow plugs out? If so, it won't start due to the low compression. Screw them back in and it should fire up. My engine started up kind of smokey when 2 plugs failed and two were working.
Old March 17th, 2013, 12:01 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
That blows dude. But what do you need glow plugs for in the dr. My 200tdi started in 4 degree weather in Maine with NO working glow plugs

You need them in to start, but my working. If it won't start with them in its something else
Old March 17th, 2013, 02:14 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I have never used my glow plugs once. Never had a problem starting in virginia winters. Sorry for the useless post
Old March 17th, 2013, 09:09 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

That's what I was thinking too. I read the 300tdi doesn't need glow plugs to even start unless super cold out.

Could be the valves are way out of spec and not holding compression for an easy start.

It was starting before but it would be random and sometimes not start so I'm thinking the glow plugs were so caked in carbon that they weren't igniting the fuel. It would also smoke like hell on start up so I thought some of the glow plugs weren't working or caked up.

Heading out to rip the head off now. I'll try to find some wifi
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old March 17th, 2013, 12:01 PM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

How is the compression?
Old March 17th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Damiel,
I haven't had my glow plugs hooked up since Feb 2010. You shouldn't need them especially in Italy. I'd suspect the fuel shut off solenoid but crack an injector line and see if fuel is coming out as you turn the engine over. If not work backwards until you find out why.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 17th, 2013, 07:19 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
Damiel,
I haven't had my glow plugs hooked up since Feb 2010. You shouldn't need them especially in Italy. I'd suspect the fuel shut off solenoid but crack an injector line and see if fuel is coming out as you turn the engine over. If not work backwards until you find out why.
I know what you are saying. 90 degrees here in the Dominican Republic and I need glow plugs? That was our first task to getting this disco running be
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-45723448.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	472.6 KB
ID:	68316   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-185324227.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	469.8 KB
ID:	68317  

Name:	image-1108280471.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	850.2 KB
ID:	68318   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1535997483.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	563.0 KB
ID:	68319  

1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old March 17th, 2013, 07:26 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
I'm a little late to this party, but I had the exact same problem on my ill fated Alaska trip. I ended up taking it to a machine shop to get it removed.

Of course, a year later working on it I stripped out the same glow plug hole while dealing with the timing belt... so be weary of that one from now on.

Old March 17th, 2013, 10:36 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Crap half of my post didn't go though.

I was saying it would start randomly and the previous owner told us it was hard to start in the morning so I assumed maybe because it was colder outside. Then I heard they got it started but lots of black smoke at first... Seemed like un burn fuel (glow plugs or IP turned way up)

Anyways we didn't plan on taking the head off and I really didn't bring tools for that job. I had open 19mm box wrench on some of the head bolts combined with others as breaker bars. Sleeved a 10 foot pole we found on the street around my wrench to break some of those bolts.

Got the head off and pounded those glow plugs ends out with a nail and hammer. 4th one was giving us shit so we drilled it out and hammered it out in the end... All in the grass on a piece of cardboard.

I love working on this truck in the middle of nowhere with no tools. It makes you get creative with what you need to get it done. We didn't have wire for a light so we ended up mending it with an old inline fuse block we found that looked like something from the Cold War era. We also noticed we were missing some bolts on the fan pulley so we went down to meet some guy that had some parts (it was a guy in a 1 room hut with some crap on the walls) and he didn't have one, so he took us down the street to this field that was on fire and had all this metal junk laying around and we end up finding a bolt that fit. WD40 was our BP Blaster, lubricant, cleaner, air gun and hand sanitizer all in one.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old March 18th, 2013, 06:22 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
We also noticed we were missing some bolts on the fan pulley so we went down to meet some guy that had some parts (it was a guy in a 1 room hut with some crap on the walls) and he didn't have one, so he took us down the street to this field that was on fire and had all this metal junk laying around and we end up finding a bolt that fit. WD40 was our BP Blaster, lubricant, cleaner, air gun and hand sanitizer all in one.
Sounds fun. Pics!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
trip