Glow plug wiring differences ... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 3rd, 2008, 03:37 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Glow plug wiring differences ...

As I am trying to put back my wiring for this 200Tdi project, I have come upon a littlel question. This one used to be a TD so it does not have the relay for the glow plug as opposed to a 200Tdi one that has a glow plug timer.

Does it make a big difference to have the timer or not ? If it does, any one have a harness and relay laying around ?

Thanks everyone.

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2008, 07:11 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I would just leave it as is. You can run the glow plugs longer in winter which will have a desired effect.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 07:55 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
I would just leave it as is. You can run the glow plugs longer in winter which will have a desired effect.
The problem I have with the current set-up is that the glow plugs will only run when the starter is engaged. With our winter coming it will definitely won't be enough.

Thanks for the input.

Pat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:24 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Turn the key just before the starter engages. It will power the glowplugs until the key is turned a bit further to the starter position. Look for the choke light to come on.

Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:31 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Ha ha. You have to have glowplugs!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 4th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Ha ha. You have to have glowplugs!
Please don't push the knife even further, it should start to snow in following weeks here .

So glow plugs are a must as we are also expecting to do the ice highway and all that stuff.

Hopefully I will solve that riddle in the next few days.

Pat

Old October 4th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I had the same issue and I just hooked it up to a straight switch. You just need a strong one. I still have the cool James Bond push switch if you want. Now I dont even have them hooked up.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 4th, 2008, 03:30 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Is your key/ignition switch on the steering column stock?

What I am trying to say is that there is a position between the run and start position that just puts power to the glow plugs. Does your ignition switch have this?

Old October 4th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Hmmmm ...

Thanks Buck, I gave long thoughts about the idea but the I'm trying to do this the closest to OEM style.

And for Pendy, thanks for the tip but my switch doesn't let me do this unfortunately.

So I think I,m going to bite the bullet and get the relay and wiring addition.

Pat

Old October 4th, 2008, 04:43 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
Pat, has your truck always been a diesel or was it petrol powered in a previous life. The diesel ignition switches, as Jim mentioned, have a glow plug position. First click is the accessory position. Turn a bit farther to operate the glow plugs, then the rest of the way for the starter. Petrol ignition switches donít have this option. As was suggested earlier, you could just wire in an on/off switch.

Iíve been surprised with my 300Tdi. Since installing the engine last April, I havenít had to use the glow plugs at all yet. It was 4 degrees C this morning and it still fired right up. Of course, give it a few more weeks and that should change as it will be getting much colder here.

Brett
Old October 5th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Pat,

I just removed that relay timer thingy when I Installed my defender 200 tdi engine last week. The engine in my truck previously had a push button for the glow plugs and I grew to like that setup so I kept it. You can have the factory part- All I did was remove the heavy gauge yellow wire from the first glow plug to the multi plug that plugs into the relay. So you can have the timer/relay and the plug with associated wiring. Shoot me a pm on where to send it. Happy to contribute to your project that has given me ithe initiative to do my own.

Just got my my 110 going as a 200 tdi last week and am loving it. I did a 200 mile trip back from the Mid Atlantic Rally today and ran @ speeds of 70-75 mph on the gps with a 4 inch lift, 33's, full length roof rack with with cases up top, fully loaded down etc. The truck pulls the same hills in 5th that I used to have to down shift to 4th in my NAS 90.

Doug

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old October 5th, 2008, 09:25 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I have a momentary switch from NAPA that cost about 8 bucks as my glow plug switch, my brain as the timer, and a Ford starter solenoid as the relay from NAPA. Works perfectly every time.
Old October 6th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Pat

Its on its way. Postage was less than 4 bucks so don't worry about it, just post more pictures of your truck.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old October 6th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

1000 thanks !!!

Sure will, once this wiring is out of the way I will start it up and and post more finished pics.

Thanks again.

Pat

Old October 6th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
OK, I do have a stock timer, but also have a push-pull switch.

Pollak 75 Amp push-pull switch. Available at any industrial supply shop and most automotive place. Around $12.

http://pollak.thomasnet.com/viewitem...hes?&forward=1 AFAIK, most starter type push button switches do not have adeqaute amperage ratings.

I also just installed a Webasto!!!! Instant heat baby..
Old October 6th, 2008, 04:35 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

A monentary switch that self cancels will prevent a distraction from burning up your plugs or toasting a battery, just use it to signal a starter solenoid.
Old October 6th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thats what I have, a push button that activates a heavy duty relay that you can hear click in and out. Ten count and turn the key. Haven't needed glows on the tdi so far- the Toyota it replaced needed them every morning regardless of ambient temp.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old October 6th, 2008, 07:40 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If you want, you can also just buy the 300tdi relay and harness and build a glow plug setup
Old October 9th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Harness and references ...

Well the TD harness already has the provision for the relay an all its wiring. Its just a matter of plugging it in and and adding one or two wires and you are good to go.

The parts required for that is for future references :

1 x PRC6083,
1 x PRC6913,
1 x STC934.

Thanks

Pat

Old November 23rd, 2008, 10:17 AM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Pat, pull over, this is a hi-jack!

I have a V8 to 200Tdi conversion. My current ignition switch goes to the start position and my choke light illuminates on the binacle for about 10 seconds, then extinguishes. Then I use a push button to start it. I decided to check the temp on top of the glow plug this morning and it remained 32F (ambient temp). I figured that I should at least see some temp rise on top of the glow plug. Nothing. Light when out and she started, but didn't like it.

I verified that I have 12V switching power to the relay when the ignition key is turned. Then I checked the output of the relay to the glow plugs. I can see a momentary spike in voltage, but then returns to zero. The relay is a 12V/70A relay (Land Rover Brand). It also has a small spade on it that has nothing hooked to it.

I'm assuming that since my choke light comes on then extinguishes, there is some sort of timing circuit. I'm not sure where the timing circuit is though. Is it in the relay? Is my relay bad?

Thanks Pat, great thread and great timing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wiring