Glow plug wiring differences ... - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 27th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal
I found the glow plug relay. Don't laugh. It was located in the battery box. I was looking in the engine compartment because that is where RN told me they put it. I still haven't found why its not working any more. RN told me that it connects to the battery but not necessarily in the battery box. I suppose I will have to open the harness and trace the brown wire?

There is also a red mystery wire that that goes from the battery to a mystery relay or ground of some sort (see picture 3 & 4). Anyone know what this is? Do I need these? Can I remove them?
Looks like a resistor and a good source for a short and/or shock. Whatever it is, it's not presently in use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks. I'm getting rid of it pronto.
Old November 27th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I got rid of it and for some bizarre reason my glow plugs are now working again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2011, 01:52 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Re-Hash the Glowplugs

I got a new ignition switch, and the connections are different.

I hook up my glow plugs like the picture below, the only problem is that I with the (white/red) connected to the ignition the glow plugs never turn off, they turn on and stay on.

With just the (white) from the trucks harness, the thick (Brown) to the battery, the (black) to ground, and the (yellow/black) to the dash light, glow plugs work as they should.

Is this Kosher?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glowplugtimerwiring.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	45316  
Old January 16th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Surfin' Elvis
Chuck
95 RRC 300tdi/wvo conversion

I used a remote 12v starter relay, wired direct to my accessory battery, triggered by a momentary push button on the dash. Ran the output from the relay to a 4-gang fuse block and wired the glow plugs parallel, each one fused with a 25-amp fuse. In this set-up, if one glow plug shorts, at least the others won't be affected. The added benefit is that, with the push button activation, the relay only cycles when I need it to cycle, which should extend its years of service. No timer installed, but trial and error gave me an idea of how long to depress based on how the engine turns over at various outside temps. Total cost less than 40 bucks. Fool-proof so far.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wiring