Glow plug fouling - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 17th, 2014, 11:13 PM
Jackie Treehorn
1985 (legitimately)
Glow plug fouling

In the process of doing the timing belt replacement, I removed the glow plugs as instructed and found that one looks oily and more sooty than the others. Is this something I should be concerned about? I didn't notice if it was looser than the others when removing, but maybe the plug wasn't sealed tightly allowing some compression to escape.
What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	97010  

Old June 18th, 2014, 01:09 AM
Viton Johnnson
Smart 4x4
Could be a variety of things. I'd start with a compression test. Since it is oily, could be a valve related problem. Could be a leaking injector. The LR book says to replace injectors every 80K miles, though I did run mine until 125K and the engine was still running smooth with the old injectors. You can have your injectors "pop" tested at a diesel injection repair shop. Keep track from which cyl each comes from.

The glow plugs should be Ohm tested (cold) and the results should be similar, within 0.1 of each other. I only use mine in the winter, as needed, and pull the fuse that makes them work the rest of the year.

Old June 18th, 2014, 07:45 AM
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
The seal is at the bottom, where the tip meets the body. Oil above there means it was leaking or oil leaked into the hole from above.

If a tip itself is sooty, it usually mean the plug is not working.
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old June 18th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Robert Davis
John gives a good explanation...

Be sure and replace all with new plugs.

I would also check the injectors to verify that there is not any over fueling which could also give a sooty-er than "normal" glow plug.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions