Glass for van sides...alternatives? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 12th, 2012, 01:35 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Continuing this thread...

I just placed an order with Peninsula Glass in Vancouver, WA for two replacement front door windows (in solex tint, 3/16", tempered with mark, pencil edge) and two van side windows (in gray 45% tint, 3/16", tempered with mark, pencil edge, 2.25" radius). Total price was less than $300 shipped to my door.

I cut the dimensions of the van side windows to 43" wide by 15 3/4" high. The intent is to cut an aperture with 6mm allowance and use two-piece weatherstripping to hold the glass in as done on the quarterlights and fiberglass top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2012, 04:19 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
I would LOVE these in my 110 to bad they are not easily found in the US.

Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 12th, 2012, 04:44 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Continuing this thread...

I just placed an order with Peninsula Glass in Vancouver, WA for two replacement front door windows (in solex tint, 3/16", tempered with mark, pencil edge) and two van side windows (in gray 45% tint, 3/16", tempered with mark, pencil edge, 2.25" radius). Total price was less than $300 shipped to my door.

I cut the dimensions of the van side windows to 43" wide by 15 3/4" high. The intent is to cut an aperture with 6mm allowance and use two-piece weatherstripping to hold the glass in as done on the quarterlights and fiberglass top.
Very good price. You will spend a bunch on the weatherstrip. As an FYI, the fiberglass top windows are the same size as the sliding windows. I have one window sitting here if anyone is in need.
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2012, 05:11 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post

Very good price. You will spend a bunch on the weatherstrip. As an FYI, the fiberglass top windows are the same size as the sliding windows. I have one window sitting here if anyone is in need.
Based on your "analytical view points" I assume you are some sort of engineer. Call trim lok in California and tell them you want to order a small "sample". They will sell it to you, just push it as R&D.
Old October 12th, 2012, 05:23 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
Based on your "analytical view points" I assume you are some sort of engineer. Call trim lok in California and tell them you want to order a small "sample". They will sell it to you, just push it as R&D.
I am not sure what that means exactly. My entire family are engineers or engineering types (math, computers etc.), except me.

I was merely referencing the fact that rover window weatherstripping is spendy. I had to buy some for my dormobile top.
Old October 12th, 2012, 05:25 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:

I am not sure what that means exactly. My entire family are engineers or engineering types (math, computers etc.), except me.

I was merely referencing the fact that rover window weatherstripping is spendy. I had to buy some for my dormobile top.
I meant to direct that to the Original Poster. But lawyers are analytical also (married to one).
Old October 12th, 2012, 06:05 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
I meant to direct that to the Original Poster. But lawyers are analytical also (married to one).
ha. I bet arguments are fun with her.
Old October 12th, 2012, 06:06 PM
AgRover
Adin
1997 Defender 90 SW Badge #2493

Have you seen these? They are the same specs as the NAS SW windows with factory tint. They even have a template if you are converting a hardtop to a SW.

http://www.masai-land-rover.com/#ecw...roduct=5368242
Old October 12th, 2012, 06:14 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:

ha. I bet arguments are fun with her.
When she was a senior in Undergrad, she brought a book home called "how to win Every argument". I gave up soon after she read that.
Old October 13th, 2012, 08:27 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter

Yes, you guessed right, I am a EE/CS person sorry for my nerdy viewpoints!

Thanks for the tip about trimlok samples!
Old October 13th, 2012, 10:00 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Don't forget that there are different van sides. Yours are probably the earlier type with the vertical support in them. Later ones had horizontal supports which are easier to install windows into. Just more work required on the older ones.

You little rebel, I like you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
glass, sides