Getting more power out of stock 95 lr def 90 gas motor? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 3rd, 2013, 10:08 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
A general tune up will help if it has been neglected. You could try advancing the timing or a Magnaflow or Borla exhaust. No real gains to be made without cams head work and forced induction. The crower cam mentiioned above helps marginally, there are a number of cam options out there. Tdi's are pigs, less the later computer controlled variants.
TDi's are pigs?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2013, 10:59 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
tdi's are pigs?
imho
Old December 3rd, 2013, 12:06 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Mallory dizzy snd coil will make a difference as well, ask Josh.

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2013, 12:11 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I've been through my engine, first my 3.9 and then my 4.6. You can change plugs, wires, K&N filter, distributor...blah blah blah. What you may get is a properly tuned engine that you may think is a world of difference but I was very methodical on my changes and test driving after each and although I truly wanted to feel some sort of increase, the fact remains that the 3.9/4.0 is an under powered engine that incremental changes compared to the weight of the vehicle are negligible. I have heard (and sometimes bought into) claims of much better HP with magnecor wires--didn't notice it. K&N filter. Didn't notice it. Mallory ignition. Didn't notice it. Expensive plugs--not even noticeable.

What did I notice? I swapped to a crowler cam with a more torque profile. I noticed that. Biggest single mod I made other than the 4.6. I rebuilt my 4.6, had to slightly overbore the engine to remove some liner imperfections and order special oversized pistons from Real Steel in the UK--when I put that engine in, I noticed it. I used a regular cam, then switched back to a low rpm torque profile cam--I noticed that too. I shortened my trumpets--smoothed out low end just barely, but no increase in power/driving.

I've spent a lot of time on my engine--only thing I didn't do was go to headers which I am not sure would have made much of a difference.

IMHO--there is NOTHING you can just upgrade to make a NOTICEABLE difference in power without going into the engine that will make any bigger difference than a good tune up.

NOTE: That isn't to say I am not glad I made my mods. I do like the Mallory distributor a lot. I think bad plug wires can really hurt performance. Dirty intake components are never a good scenario and any vacuum leak certainly hurts. But a properly tuned engine is the biggest improvement you can do before replacing worn components.

Just one other thing--when I swapped in new cam, I measured all my lash and found huge variations. I made/inserted shims under ever rocker arm support to dial the lash into spec--I do believe this is not only important, but seldom done when folks swap cams...
Old December 3rd, 2013, 12:56 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
So...Ray may chide me again, but now that I think about it, why not wet nitrous?

If the OP only needs occasional power boosts, then nitrous + fuel would be a very easy way to push an extra 50 to 100hp without having to mess with the engine much.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 12:57 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
On my old RR (1988 with a 4.0 transplant) my mechanic did the following
Crane Cam
Crane Lifters
Dual roller timing chain
Shaved down the intake trumpets
Did something to hotrod the oil pump to give more preassure at lower rpm or something
Change the fuel preassure regulator to up the fuel flow
No muffler

Ended up a totally different truck.

(excuse some of my non-technical stuff above as I am not sure exactly how the oil and fuel stuff was done...)

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old December 3rd, 2013, 11:02 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

my truck is stock (95' 3.9) no mods... stock disci, cams, exhaust, etc.
I keep it tuned up and such as well.

i can run to FL from NC at 70 mph and still pass people except for the 1-2 shift it can keep up with traffic and hold its own on the road.
Gas mileage is 12 ish

what are you trying to accomplish?

Only reason to go Tdi is fuel mileage IMHO

95' D90 - daily driver..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, 95, gas, motor