Getting into gear, but not *moving*! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 9th, 2004, 11:00 AM
chris72982
Chris

Getting into gear, but not *moving*!

Hi all,
Been having an interesting problem lately: After starting up my D ('94) the beginning of the day, I throw it in reverse and get a lot of hesitation in moving it. Seems like something is sticking underneath. If I shift into 1st and move forward a few inches, reverse is no longer a problem.

Just this morning I'm having the same problem with 1st. Feels like I've got the e-brake on! Let it idle for about 5 minutes and everything is fine. Any ideas? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2004, 11:04 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
check the e-brake adjustment? maybe your clutch has lost some fluid? how many miles on your truck?
Old February 9th, 2004, 11:05 AM
chris72982
Chris

Forgot to mention above...
Letting the truck idle for a few minutes solves everything. Will check the fluids...I've got about 92k on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2004, 12:38 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Has it been cold, wet or snowing lately where you live? I know that here is Colorado sometimes moisture will get into the brake and when it freezes over night will cause problem with the parking brake

Maybe moisture is freezing somewhere in the parking brake and not allowing it to disengage as fast as normal?

Maybe the cold is affecting the way the parking brake assembly is releasing?

When you park it tonight do not engage the parking brake and see if you still have the problem in the morning do not forget to leave the transmission in 1st gear and chock the wheel so it does not roll away

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
vin