genuine vs aftermarket doors - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 23rd, 2014, 03:02 PM
akrockhound
Jack
1988 RHD 110

Registry
genuine vs aftermarket doors

Does any one have an opinion about aftermarket rear door vs genuine? I see AB sells an aftermarket one for about $125 less than original.

Are there other sources for new doors in the US besides AB and Rovers North??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2014, 03:19 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
SafariHP, etc. recommend you go to classifieds section and type in rear door in the search and see if what you're looking for pops up.

Some of the Britpart doors I've seen were complete crap.
Old February 24th, 2014, 09:31 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

I bought two Britpart doors last summer. Both "work", but definitely lower quality that factory: thinner metal, worse fit, etc... If I had to do it again, I'd give those fiberglass doors a shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2014, 10:07 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Most aftermarket body parts are for vehicles that don't go off road. The metal is so thin/weak that a panel will dent if you look at it too hard. Your best bet are genuine factory body panels.

Fit can occasionally be a tad iffy for aftermarket panels as well. Especially with aftermarket door tops.

There are a couple small UK companies that make quality panels. The normal distributors do not carry their products so you need to seek them out and prices are well above those of makers of cheapo aluminum foil type products.

I currently like SP Land Rovers Ltd.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 24th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Yes, because the panel fit of what is supplied by Land Rover on a Defender in amazing.....

I would consider the fiberglas ones that are being made. They look quite good. There is also a company doing galvanized frames.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 24th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Anyone have longer term experience with the Ashtree Doors?
Old February 27th, 2014, 10:22 PM
motorradmark
Mark Hollahan
1985 Land Rover 110 - rhd

I just purchased a set of series III converted half doors for my LR 110 from SPLandrover, as referenced by Teri Ann, very good quality, and purpose built to fit the LR110/Defender. Have antiburst doors all around and wanted to keep the AB latches.

Very pleased.

cheers
Mark

85 ROW Rhd Land Rover 110 - 300tdi
04 BMW R1150 GS Adv
Old February 28th, 2014, 12:11 AM
akrockhound
Jack
1988 RHD 110

Registry
good feedback

I just ordered an Ashtree galvanized for my rear door but like what I see at SP Landrover. I just got a good look inside my front doors and will likely replace them is a few months. Previous owner replaced lower frame but left in 3 inches of rot on both side just above that. Proabably did the bottom just to get it to sell.

We will see about the Ashtree when it arrives (Northwest Defender Spring container)

I thought the SP doors were reasonably priced. With free shipping in the UK I should be able to get them on one of Defenders Northwest's containers in the future.

I would like to hear some feedback about painting those galvanized skins on the SP's. I remember one thread about painting galvanized bulkheads and some folks said . just leave it bare since paint won't stay on more than a year or so. Others thought new etch techniques made painting galvy no problem.

For as much web browsing as I do I always appreciate a completely new site . Today it was SP landrover. Thanks you guys.

I also exchanged some emails with Mike at AMA about the fiberglass ones. Wondered if he might do something with a us supplier to get some more of them here and used so we could see how they really fare.
Old February 28th, 2014, 06:35 AM
motorradmark
Mark Hollahan
1985 Land Rover 110 - rhd

Will post an update once i paint.

How are you shipping with the container? Right now, my UK purchases are painful, wrt shipping.

Thanks
Mark

85 ROW Rhd Land Rover 110 - 300tdi
04 BMW R1150 GS Adv
Old February 28th, 2014, 10:26 AM
akrockhound
Jack
1988 RHD 110

Registry
Check out Defenders Northwest - They are in Gig Harbor Washington - they ship containers full of rover stuff from the UK I think 2 or 3 times per year. They fill the container with their orders and other parts that people like you and me buy in UK and want shipped and share shipping costs.

They are organizing one for late March right now. My Ashtree is coming on that one.

http://www.defendersnw.com/HOME.html

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door, genuine