generic gaskets? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 9th, 2006, 07:00 PM
vesparover
brian bertolini

generic gaskets?

Hey everyone, I just got in the gaskets for this 4.6 I'm putting together. I ordered from DAP and didn't specify oem gaskets. When I opened the box I realized some stuff was from Bearmach and some was just Generic looking. Any of you guys used these. I hate to put this thing back together and have a problem.
Thanks
Brian Bertolini
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 9th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

To be honest, there just aren't many gaskets out there for the Rover V8 these days. The 'Generic' ones are most likely from Bearmach like the rest of them, or possibly by Payen, which is a division of Federal Mogul. Heck, my Payen gaskets all had Rover part numbers stamped on them, so I suspect they may actually do the manufacturing for LR. I used a set of Payne gaskets in my 3.9, and they have honestly held up better than the original ones did.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 9th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I used aftermarket gaskets on both my 4.6 and 4.0 and they work fine--I compared it to a new factory and they seemed identical in construction. I would not hesitate to use them again. On the same note, you can get aftermarket head bolts--I used them on both my rebuilds. They were about $80 for a complete set (maybe even less).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 9th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Ahhh, head bolts. I used the ARP head studs, they ran I think $120 or so from Summit Racing (it's been a year, I forget for sure). As long as you stick with a known brand, you should be fine on the head bolts.... just don't re-use the old ones.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
gas, gaskets