General consensus question 4.0 or 4.6 to replace 3.5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 18th, 2004, 04:44 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

General consensus question 4.0 or 4.6 to replace 3.5

I have a 3.5 and I am wanting to replace it. It is in a 110 with the lt85 transmission. I was wanting to put in a different engine and also a automatic transmission. Which is better and why? I see everything on the rolling chassis thread I just had my heart set on a 4.6, but what could I do to make the 4.0 a little more powerful, not wanting to supercharge it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

4.2 is one of the best engines rover made. Actually had higher HP rating than some 4.6. Do an ungraded cam, lifters and valve train and you'll have a jewel.
Old August 18th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Art Vigil
Arthur Vigil
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
"4.2 is one of the best engines rover made..."
Doug, you're not the first person I've heard say that, I've actually heard the same thing from an excellent Rover mechanic I trust who's been in the industry long enough and worked on enough 4.2's to have some real-world experience. Plus he even drives a RRC with a 4.2.
That said, do you have any idea why ECR slams the 4.2 on their website? I have a lot of respect for their work as well, so I'm really at a loss as to who's right.
Does anyone have any insight here?

Thanks,
'95 RRC - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'72 Series III 88" NADA Turner 2.25 petrol (Lovely Rita)
'95 RRC Brooklands/TWR Edition 3.9V8
'97 D90SW NAS #2426 - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'95 D90ST NAS#2620 - Original owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

"That said, do you have any idea why ECR slams the 4.2 on their website? I have a lot of respect for their work as well, so I'm really at a loss as to who's right.
Does anyone have any insight here?"

They just opined that the 4.6 is a more cost effective replacement. I would assume they can more readily obtain new 4.6 blocks as opposed to 4.2's. They seem to upsell the cross-bolted block. Seems like salemanship to me.

It would be interesting to get some technical data on the 4.2 vs the new 4.6. Sounds like Doug made a great choice. Locally obtained, built and installed engine as opposed to signing the check made payable to ECR. I wonder how much freedom of choice they offer with their interceptor line. I think it would be really fun to research and plan a new motor. Lots o choices for just about all areas of the motor.

EwS
Old August 18th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

That was my second choice. This is what's under the hood now:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	griffith5005.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1320  
Old August 18th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

I see everything on the rolling chassis thread I just had my heart set on a 4.6, but what could I do to make the 4.0 a little more powerful, not wanting to supercharge it?

http://www.roverv8engine.co.uk/index.htm make it a 5.0 ltr. Dying to see a motor built with those.....

http://www.rpiv8.com/engine.htm is a great reference.

http://www.roverv8engine.co.uk/index.htm is a good reference as well. I have seen a few of their rover engines and they do really nice work.

But you're talking some serious dead presidents for the power.

I think someone out there is offering a SB 350 conversion as well. That sounds like a more cost effective way to repower if your not concerned with keeping it all rover. Parts would be so muh more reasonable as well. And the aftermarket to support it....

EwS
Old August 18th, 2004, 10:12 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

I thought of the chevy powerplant, but where do you find kits to link up to a zfautomatic, or would I need to go the r380route. I am not asking for a lot of power, but 220-250 would be great with a similar torque curve to match.
Old August 18th, 2004, 10:23 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Advance Adapters could mill you one up if you give them the specs et al.....

EwS
Old August 18th, 2004, 10:25 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Aaron,

Let me know when you pull the LT85 out. I need to start stocking up on parts. Ain't to many of those around. Is it in good shape?

Kevin
Old August 18th, 2004, 10:43 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Kevin I will drop you a line first. Good transmission, just not the easiest to drive in stop and go traffic. Eric I can do a lot of things myself, but I have to admit when it comes to engines and transmissions, I am at a complete loss on that stuff, I am learning slowly though. Can the zf handle the 350s power? What about just massaging a 4.0, 4.2, 4.6 with different cam, headers, and having it polished and ported? Not looking for huge gains, just not wanting to drop a tone of dough on it either. That is why I like the 350 idea. Would the 350 fit in the chassis?
Old August 18th, 2004, 11:06 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
headers I think are the best way to get more power (bolt on) there is a photo on this site of a 350 in a D look under the misc picture section
Old August 19th, 2004, 12:39 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I read somthing interesting in the August issue of LROI. The owner of a souped up 90 was concerned about breakage in the driveline after significantly increasing the HP on his motor. He figures the easiest way to save the drivline, tranny etc. was to create a weak link in the chain that would be easiest and cheapest to repair. He ended up scoring his axle shafts on the hub side with an angle grinder creating a weak point, this way he dictated wher the breakage would happen and potentialy save more expensive harder to repair items. Sounds a little excessive but maybe somthing to consider for those who have added a bunch of HP to the already weak Land Rover driveline.
Old August 19th, 2004, 01:15 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by draaronr
I thought of the chevy powerplant, but where do you find kits to link up to a zfautomatic...
You don't. You get an adaptor for the LT230 and fit a 700R4 in front of it. I purchased two custom made in SA by a guy running RR's with this setup. I planned on fitting it in my 110 but things change...I'll give the 300Tdi a shot for a while and see if I can do without an automatic (I doubt it).

http://www.landyonline.co.za/techtal...ansmission.htm
Old August 19th, 2004, 01:17 AM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

Doug, can you say "shoehorn"?! Wow, that's a lot of motor in a small space. Turbocharged and intercooled? What're the final dyno specs?

Looks great...so jealous...
Old August 19th, 2004, 08:52 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Holy shit that's a lot of work and money. I cannot do a lot of that myself so that would get expensive fast.
Old August 19th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Really depends on how you build the 350 up. Advance adapters could build you a custom adapter plate. Check out their site for info. advanceadapters.com I think. As long as your not putting huge HP I think it would be fine. The ECR 4.6 bolts into the ZF with 275 hp.

Check out rpiv8.com for heads, headers, and cams. They also have timing chains and a whole lot of info on the rover v8.

Check out Roversnorth and buy the book ROVER V8. It will give you a complete picture of what can be done to improve in a rover engine.

EwS
Old August 19th, 2004, 12:34 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I just added the Edelbrock intake and 4 barrel carb to my 3.5 along with a new exhaust sans cats. I have not driven it yet as I am still perfecting the throttle linkage but I am anticipating some pretty good HP gains. It is also much cheaper than a new engine. By shopping around I was able to keep the costs so far around $800 for intake manfold, carburator and new exhaust. I will let you know what the performance gains are asap. It won,t be even close to what Doug will have but for the money I ain't complaining. Anything has got to be better than the duel SU carb set up and I maintain easy field repair ability.
Old August 19th, 2004, 02:55 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Not looking for gains like Doug's I would just like a little more get up and go.
Old August 19th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Lol, that pic is the TVR Griffith stock install. It looks like a lot, but the big deal is the headers. Note that the TVR V8s run the exhaust headers FORWARD and cross in front of the engine with that huge flow pattern, then down each side of the cockpit to the rear. Don't know what that other junk is up there between the headers and the alternator. Not turbo. With the headers, improved fuel map and enlarged air intake, the TVR Griffith 5.0 Rover engine produces 340hp. I think I'll turn about 270 or 280 hp, with my stock rover exhaust and stock MAF. I do have an RPI chip tho, made specifically for this installation and it's great...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac