Gears vs Tires - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 22nd, 2005, 12:33 PM
jimbemotumbo
Jimbe Motumbo
97 D90 Wagon

Gears vs Tires

I've discovered how expensive it is to switch to 4.10 gears in my D. I live at altitude, so the shortcomings of the 3.54 gears are quite noticeable even on-road. Is it possible to "make do" with the stock gears by going to a smaller diameter tire? Currently on 265/75 and OME HD. I hate to give up approach angle tho.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2005, 05:16 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Have you talked to anyone about Toy R+P?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 06:54 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Or, you can consider swapping to a 1.4:1 transfer case...assuming you are happy with stock low range gearing.
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2005, 07:04 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You want to go with smaller then 31" tires? Is there something wrong with your engine? IT should have power for that size tire. I thought you would be running 35's or something. I have 4.11's with 35's and it is perfect.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 09:40 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Look into the engine. A well tuned V8 should give more than enough power. They lose power with age as the cams and cam chains wear. Usually a mild performance cam and roller chain does wonders.

A friend I wheel with has a carbed 3.5l that can spin all four tires and do 110 mph, which is much more than is safe with a 90. The EFI 3.9l should be better when set up properly.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 06:41 AM
DiscoDino
Nadim Samara
1992 Disco "Dino"

i'd go with a stock engine, and the Toy set-up, at least you can have lockers for a bit more money with that set-up versus stock drivetrain and modded engine...
'04 Disco II stock
'07BMW G650X Challenge (farkled)
Old April 24th, 2005, 09:25 PM
jimbemotumbo
Jimbe Motumbo
97 D90 Wagon

Remember, I am at altitude. All my driving is at ~6000 ft and above. So, there goes 20% of the usual power right there. I have low low miles and the motor specs out new. Runs great w/ plenty of juice on the flats and down hill. Uphill is another matter and four wheeling requires alot of right foot to climb. So, nothing wrong with the motor or drivetrain or anything else for that matter. Just wish I had a bit more gear for going up.

What's the Toy R&P deal?
Old April 24th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

With a bit of work, a Toyota R+P can be made to fit in a Rover housing. It is a much better design so you get a lot more strenth out of it. Plus, brand new aftermarket gears are $130 v. $500. I have never done it so I don't know all the details to the process, but I believe that Kieth at Roverteracks knows about it, and he is in your area. There is also some more info on pirate. Plus, I might be willing to trade a 1.4 for your 1.2 if my other guy drops out.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 25th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Jimbe, are you going to ever put bigger then 35" tire on your 90? If so the Toy rout is a good one, if not then I agree with John and would try some engine upgrades to try and bost your power, unless you really want lockers, but I think it's going to coast $$$$ to do any type of gear change. I have found that there can be a larg differance in output power of the 3.9s. I could run circles around Dave Souzas 90 with 35s and stock gears when he is only on 33s. At the least do a compresion check first and make sure it is running good, I would hate to find out after you spend big money on gears that you have engine problems.
Old April 25th, 2005, 03:28 PM
jimbemotumbo
Jimbe Motumbo
97 D90 Wagon

Thanks for the ideas. I suppose it's wise to re-check engine just to be sure.
Old April 25th, 2005, 04:07 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

The automatic is going to give you higher gear ratios than our manuals. Also, Land Rover designed your throttle to have a lot of travel. This is so that you can make smaller adjustments in throttle while off road compared to a regular car. I lived at 8000 ft for 5 years in CO and the 3.9 + auto on the Disco did just fine, but there were always people that wanted lower gears/supercharger/7.3 L diesel/etc.
Old April 25th, 2005, 06:20 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Kiss my ass Hippert! And don't forget you've got a 1:4 transfer box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
I could run circles around Dave Souzas 90 with 35s and stock gears when he is only on 33s.
Old April 25th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Jimbe, I feel your pain!
Climbing the hill to Eisenhower tunnel- 45mph. In the fall when I'm loaded up, and a trailer to boot, forget it. A pass as mild as La Veta- 35 mph. Face it, sometimes we're our own worst enemies. That 'roo bar, winch, hi-lift, etc., etc. are all working against us. I think it effects us at our altitude much worse than it does guys living closer to sea level. I recently put 34" tires on, a vw microbus could pass me now.
My answer is going to be more engine. I'm not saying that's the right answer, and it's certainly not the only answer, but my gut feeling is that gearing and improvements to my existing engine might not be much more than acceptable. I want more than just acceptable. I understand that I may have to upgrade my drivetrain to deal with the extra power but I'm willing to deal with that. I guess its one of those "you only go around once" kind of a thing.
My intention really isn't to try to convince you to go the route I'm taking, there are people who are infinitely more knowledgable than me that have already given their 2 cents worth. I just wanted you to know that you are not alone!

Best of luck,
Rod
Old April 25th, 2005, 10:50 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbemotumbo
Remember, I am at altitude. All my driving is at ~6000 ft and above. So, there goes 20% of the usual power right there.
Stop your damn whining and get in the slow lane with the rest of us. You can get a CB and talk to the truckers that you are sharing a lane with on your way up I-70. I can almost get to 50 mph up Goergetown Hill..... get used to it!!!!!!

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hayward
Jimbe, I feel your pain!
Climbing the hill to Eisenhower tunnel- 45mph.
D-90 drag race up the Hill????? Looser buys beer at Tommy Knockers on the way back down in Idaho Springs! We would never break the speed limit!
Old April 26th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by souza
Kiss my ass Hippert! And don't forget you've got a 1:4 transfer box!
Dave once I'm done working on my 90 we can work on upping the power on yours, should only take me a few months. But honestly, my 90 "was" faster then yours with the stock T-case.
Old April 26th, 2005, 08:20 AM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

It's my swampers I tell ya!! My truck is considerably faster when running the stock alloys and 255/85 tires. Honestly, they may a big difference... but my truck has always seemed slow...
Old April 26th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Yes but when I drove it back from the winter romp with the MTs it was a bit slower then Jimmy's and Jimmy has bigger tires and 4 people in it. You have a slow 90, just admit to it or we can do a 4.6 swap on it
Old April 26th, 2005, 09:08 AM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Oh yeah... and what transfer case does Jimmy have?

Follow-up Post:

4.6 swap? I've seen how quickly you get engines swapped mike!
Old April 26th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

To be honest I don't know! When we put it in it had the same ratio spinning it by hand as the old one, but Jimmy thinks it's faster then before.

Just buy the Yellow 90
Well I swapped it in 2 weeks, it's all the other crap that takes time! We could get it all lined up first.
Old April 26th, 2005, 09:13 AM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

I think I just need to start with a tune up Matching plug wires might be helpful.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tire, tires