Gears - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 5th, 2007, 09:28 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

Gears

Took the truck swimming once to much, mud water ect acted like a grinding paste. Had it re-build and fitted it the weekend, starts now straight away. Dip the clutch and it wouldn't go in gear, stop the engine and its fine (still need the clutch depressed). Start again in gear with clutch depressed and it starts moving. Needed to move it so started in gear, reverse about 15ft and brake to stall it, clunk, bang and clatter and alls fine. Start it the next day and it clunked into gear, drove about 5 mls and all seems fine. I fitted a new cluctch about 5k mls ago. Any idears as to what is wrong.

The truck has been standing for about 3 mths.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 5th, 2007, 09:35 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
After Driving it, Did it help at all. Might be a sticking and dirty clutch disk from all the muck...
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:50 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

was fine after a short drive, can't try again just yet, got a terrible wobble, can't keep it running straight over 25mph. just done the radius arm bushes an checked all the others, checked and re packed wheel bearings. i'm hoping the front wheels just need to be balanced. the weights took up a quarter of the wheel, now on one there is only half inch of weight. gonna get them balanced friday

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 5th, 2007, 05:27 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Mike's disappeared, Jimmy hasn't driven his junk in 3 months... what's the world coming to?

I don't know anything about the clutch on a defender, but your description sounds like the clutch is not disengaging. Could you have not installed the fork properly? Do you feel resistance when you push in the clutch?

charles
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:16 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

Charles, See Mike last week, has a busy life now. almost got his truck running now, been off the road since about oct/nov 06. No resistance, fitted new clutch and had to fit another new thrust bearing bout 3mths later, been ok since. Think i'll stick with Randy thinking seeing how the starter was filled with mud ect. Hopefully have it on the road Sat so try it then.

Old June 6th, 2007, 08:55 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

Your clutch plate was frozen to the flywheel. Rust forms on the flywheel from moisture and the plate sticks. You are lucky it wasn't worse. I've had to peel the plate off the flywheel after pulling the trans on a series when nothing else would work to free it up. I had parked it about 6 months.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions