Gearbox/Transfer Case Mounting Bracket Locations - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 14th, 2010, 10:15 PM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

Gearbox/Transfer Case Mounting Bracket Locations

I've been running into a bit of trouble... my hard drive took a dump on me and I lost most of my tear-down photos for my 1984 D110 (3.5L V8).

I've got my chassis stripped down, cleaned, and powdercoated... the axles are about ready to go back in and the engine is almost ready as well. I just put the Chassis cross member back in and I'm looking at these mounting brackets, trying to remember where they were located.

The engine mounting brackets are welded to the chassis, but there are two more brackets that bolt on... as I recall they support the gearbox and transfer case. Attached are pics of the parts in question. Can anyone hook me up with pictures of how/where these things bolt in?

Thanks,
Scott

I think the bracket with the 4 holes in the base plate went on the gearbox or transfer case itself (the extra tang being for the transmission brake cable) and the one with the three holes went on the chassis (on the drivers side of the vehicle) but I'm not certain on that or on how they're oriented.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bracket 1.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	33980   Click image for larger version

Name:	bracket 2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	326.2 KB
ID:	33981  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2010, 04:45 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Assuming your truck is a RHD just for orientation.

The part in your 1st pic bolts to the T-Case (back of the trans if its an LT95) on the Passenger side using the 4 holes. There is another part not shown that bolts to the frame and the rubber mount fits in between them using the single hole you see on this bracket and a slot in the missing one.

The part in your 2nd pic bolts to the frame on the driver's side using the 3 holes. There is a plate that bolts to the T-Case not shown in your pic and the rubber mount fits between them using the slot in this bracket and a hole in the other.

Does that help?
Old December 15th, 2010, 08:09 AM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
Assuming your truck is a RHD just for orientation.

The part in your 1st pic bolts to the T-Case (back of the trans if its an LT95) on the Passenger side using the 4 holes. There is another part not shown that bolts to the frame and the rubber mount fits in between them using the single hole you see on this bracket and a slot in the missing one.

The part in your 2nd pic bolts to the frame on the driver's side using the 3 holes. There is a plate that bolts to the T-Case not shown in your pic and the rubber mount fits between them using the slot in this bracket and a hole in the other.

Does that help?
yep, it sure does... I'll snap some pics of the two pieces I believe you're talking about (as missing) later, to confirm that I'm on track.

Thanks,
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2010, 08:25 AM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

ok...

1st pic, 1st post: bolts to the T-Case (back of the trans) on the Passenger side using the 4 holes (the largest of the 4 brackets, with the additional tang for the transmission brake cable)

2nd pic, 1st post: bolts to the frame on the driver's side using the 3 holes (the larger flatter of the two brackets with 3 mounting holes)

1st pic, this post: bolts to the frame on the passenger's side using the 3 holes (the simpler of the two brackets with 3 mounting holes)

2nd pic, this post: bolts to the T-Case (the flat plate with 5 holes)

...am I tracking?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bracket4.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	384.0 KB
ID:	33983  
Old December 15th, 2010, 08:30 AM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

wtf??? ...the other pic didn't load
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bracket 5.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	381.9 KB
ID:	33984  
Old December 15th, 2010, 08:33 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Here are some pics of my rebuild, a 1983 RHD 3.5 V8:

http://mudsux.multiply.com/photos/al...MEMBER#photo=5
http://mudsux.multiply.com/photos/al...LUTCH#photo=21
http://mudsux.multiply.com/photos/al...LUTCH#photo=22
http://mudsux.multiply.com/photos/al...lkhead#photo=6
http://mudsux.multiply.com/photos/al...lkhead#photo=9

http://mudsux.multiply.com/photos/album/15/Transmission

I can take more pics if you need.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old December 16th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
you can download the factory shop manual for your truck from dozens of different sites, including mine.
The LR parts book for your truck would also probably be invaluable as it would have diagrams that answer these questions. Both can be bought on cd part number is LHP26. I bought mine from Expedition Exchange but they don't list it currently price is around $23 and saves a hell of a lot of head scratching. Probably worth its weight in gold for your restoration.

http://www.britpart.com/Accessory.as...ryVehicleRef=1

I have 26, 27 and 28 and use the hell out of them.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 17th, 2010, 03:29 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Yes, those are the 2 missing brackets. There are 2 types of rubber mount. Older type has M10 studs, newer type has M12. Check the sizes of the slots in the brackets to see what type you will need. If the slots are big enough for the M12 then you can drill out the holes in the other 2 brackets to fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punter View Post
ok...

1st pic, 1st post: bolts to the T-Case (back of the trans) on the Passenger side using the 4 holes (the largest of the 4 brackets, with the additional tang for the transmission brake cable)

2nd pic, 1st post: bolts to the frame on the driver's side using the 3 holes (the larger flatter of the two brackets with 3 mounting holes)

1st pic, this post: bolts to the frame on the passenger's side using the 3 holes (the simpler of the two brackets with 3 mounting holes)

2nd pic, this post: bolts to the T-Case (the flat plate with 5 holes)

...am I tracking?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, bracket, mount, rack, transfer case