Gearbox? Help..... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 22nd, 2012, 12:25 AM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

Gearbox? Help.....

After working 16 hours in blistering cold and snow, driving home tonight and of course just as I'm in tightest part of whining highway with no shoulder and snow everywhere, tranny suddenly threw it out of 5th gear and some slapping loose sound right below me scarred the shit out of me - I quickly downshifted to 4th which went well and no noise, no noticeable loss of power - decided to keep going. I tried to put it back in 5th for a sec and started to hear flapping sound and quickly put it back in 4th.
Debated stopping but figured why and way too dangerous. At one point behind a plow, I had to downshift to 3rd and it went, felt weird and hear a few sounds but was ok, then back to forth all the way home..... with lots of praying and promises and thoughts of the classifieds.
Coasted up driveway popped it in front of garage, thanked anything that came to mind and went to straighten out and no reverse, nothing not even a noise. So now its f'd and blocking wifey's car.....

Anyone shed any light and to what it will take? I'm very limited beyond small repairs, never mind gearbox issues. And please remind me why I do this......

Thanks ahead.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2012, 12:40 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

ahhh how I love transmission issues. Mine went on me in the Lincoln Tunnel one day. and another went on me right before the Holland Tunnel. 4th works because it is a straight through shaft to the engine. The others are not. When mine goes on me I usually put it in low 4th and nurse it around the driveway/parking space to get it ready for a transmission swap.

You basically have two options.
1: Put in a used or new R380. They aren't too bad to put in, a days jobs if you are good with the wrench.
2: Send it out to Rob to have rebuilt.

Where abouts in NY are you?
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old January 22nd, 2012, 12:49 AM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

Ha! same here..... Seems always the case with this truck, if its going to happen, it'll happen in narrowest part of Taconic. Every time. How many have you gone through? its that common!

I'm in southern Dutchess. Work in northern Manhattan.

So not too bad to put in R380? or Rob? Southwest Rovers? saw a post while researching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
ahhh how I love transmission issues. Mine went on me in the Lincoln Tunnel one day. and another went on me right before the Holland Tunnel. 4th works because it is a straight through shaft to the engine. The others are not. When mine goes on me I usually put it in low 4th and nurse it around the driveway/parking space to get it ready for a transmission swap.

1: Put in a used or new R380. They aren't too bad to put in, a days jobs if you are good with the wrench.

------ Follow up post added January 22nd, 2012 12:50 AM ------

You know Jason right? think your name has come up with Jason once or twice

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2012, 01:21 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

I've gone through 2 because I like to beat my truck up

The second one went because of a common failure with the graphite oil feeder wasn't keeping the output shaft oiled so over time it just snapped off clean. http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=1743

My buddy in NJ has a "lift" that we winched mine up on top of to swap my transmission out. If you could get it towed down to NJ we could help you swap it out i bet.

I know Jason well. Are you Phil, the guy he is always mentioning? haha.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old January 22nd, 2012, 01:23 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Fifth reverse layshaft broke. Common enough failure. Needs a rebuild, but if it was otherwise ok, you can just replace the shaft.

Third one down:

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co...&productId=218
Old January 22nd, 2012, 01:27 AM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

LOL yea... we rub tires every so often..... we should all do some cervezas

It'd be a haul to get it to jersey. Can it be done without lifting? may have to bite the bullet & pay someone.... could drive on 4th whole way =)

Quote:

The second one went because of a common failure with the graphite oil feeder wasn't keeping the output shaft oiled so over time it just snapped off clean. http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=1743

My buddy in NJ has a "lift" that we winched mine up on top of to swap my transmission out. If you could get it towed down to NJ we could help you swap it out i bet.

------ Follow up post added January 22nd, 2012 01:30 AM ------

Thanks Ron, ideas scoring a rebuild 380? cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Fifth reverse layshaft broke. Common enough failure. Needs a rebuild, but if it was otherwise ok, you can just replace the shaft.

Third one down:

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co...&productId=218
------ Follow up post added January 22nd, 2012 01:33 AM ------

You took yours apart..... its beyond my understanding!

Quote:

Old January 22nd, 2012, 01:52 AM
evilfij
evilfij

I am not sure what Rob Dassler of SW rovers charges but it is worth every penny. Ashcroft has prices on his website.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 08:37 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Rebuilt R380 from Ashcroft will be about 1700 to your nearest cargo hub.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old January 22nd, 2012, 08:54 AM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Do you have a garage? Is your truck lifted or stock? Do you have ramps?

Maybe we can come up to your place to give you a hand instead of you going down to NJ. You could try driving it slowly down the Taconic in 4th gear.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 09:10 AM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

I'm thinking that I could drive, to NJ is pushing it. It went fine on 4th last night for last 25min drive.

I do have a garage, not huge but works, have a roller jack but can get ramps. Truck is stock....

I'm a mean cook and can provide copious vintage PBR's.... and some celebratory bourbon!

I have to figure out where I can get it rebuilt. Seems crazy to order one from UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Do you have a garage? Is your truck lifted or stock? Do you have ramps?

Maybe we can come up to your place to give you a hand instead of you going down to NJ. You could try driving it slowly down the Taconic in 4th gear.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 09:19 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
I have to figure out where I can get it rebuilt. Seems crazy to order one from UK.
Not crazy, smart. From the time you place your order to the time you pick it up is about ten days. It is a thing of beauty, ready to fill, bolt in and go. You can be assured that it has been done properly.
Price one from one of the usual suspects and you'll agree.

Do not recommend rebuilding as parts and labor will be as much or more than a recon one from John.
The kit is about $300 from George, and if you need gears or shafts...then consider labor will be about a grand. Now you are awfully close to John's price.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old January 22nd, 2012, 09:46 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Same problem as killahaas, just pissed off that it was running in the salt.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 10:25 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpigapicha View Post
I'm thinking that I could drive, to NJ is pushing it. It went fine on 4th last night for last 25min drive.

I do have a garage, not huge but works, have a roller jack but can get ramps. Truck is stock....

I'm a mean cook and can provide copious vintage PBR's.... and some celebratory bourbon!

I can confirm Phil is a mean cook ... like high end restaurant grade ... :-)
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old January 22nd, 2012, 10:26 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

its is doable in a garage. I did my first on laying on my back. post up in the wanted section... I saw a couple for sale not too long ago.

Ron, I still want that Td5 R380, I have a 300tdi coming in. I will be in Philly in the next month or so to drop off my motorcycle to get suspension work down on it and can buy it off you then.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old January 22nd, 2012, 10:33 AM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

Just hung up with Jason.... he thought you may have had one. So he had good point to bang mine out then rebuild mine for his truck as its probably do as well

So that my next question, who has a R380?

Can I use temporarily a disco 380? thought, they must be around considering amount of discos. Until can have mine rebuilt.

Quote:
its is doable in a garage. I did my first on laying on my back. post up in the wanted section... I saw a couple for sale not too long ago.

Ron, I still want that Td5 R380, I have a 300tdi coming in. I will be in Philly in the next month or so to drop off my motorcycle to get suspension work down on it and can buy it off you then.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 12:51 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
D-90 Source Vendor

I have a running DI I am parting out. Engine, tran and TC still in place. Maybe Paul Grant has one available. You are not too far from him.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 01:00 PM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

Going to PM him right now. Don't know him but saw he's in New Milford. Not far at all. Thanks John!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
I have a running DI I am parting out. Engine, tran and TC still in place. Maybe Paul Grant has one available. You are not too far from him.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 01:04 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
D-90 Source Vendor

I'll send him a txt msg, I might have to go see him this week.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 11:09 PM
evilfij
evilfij

DI R380s don't work in a defender.

Sure Dan M the TD5 R380 is still here.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 11:40 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Yup, DI linkage inside is different. You need an Defender R380. I have one I need to rebuild myself or send to Rob. I have one coming in from the UK for my 300Tdi so I will have this one now as a spare... which I need to give to Don because he gave me one. And im going to use Ron's Td5 as my spare and put a new input shaft on it to mat up to the 300Tdi.

Get one in and we will help.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions