gear ratio change??? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 24th, 2007, 01:32 PM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

gear ratio change???

Finally got a plan togehter for the suspension, now it's time to move on to the axles...

I rebuilt my engine and considerably increased it's output (torque and hp), and I'm bumping up to 33" tires. I suspect that a change in gearing might be in order, but I'm not smart on gearing. Anyone able to offer some assistance on that matter?

Also, anyone in NC, SC, VA... can you recommend a good axle shop? The closer to Raleigh, NC the better, but I'm willing to travel if it's a good shop. I need to overhaul my axles at a minimum and I want to install Lockers. So, I'd like to have a professional handle the diff. and lockers.

Thanks,
scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2007, 02:02 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Hey Scott,

Since you want to swap gear ratios, and add lockers, why not consider going with Great Basin's "Diff in a Bucket". Bill at Great Basin is well known and respected for his axle and gear set-ups. He has a deal where you tell him the gear ratio and differential you want, and he builds it in a cleaned up Rover thrid member. Then ships the whole third to you in a five gallon bucket. This way you know you get a rear that has been set-up right, has the gear ration you want (4.10 by the way would be my recomendation if you are going 33's) and the locker of choice installed. You just have to pull your third's and install the new ones...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 24th, 2007, 02:30 PM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

ha! ...that's pretty cool!

I'll definately look into it, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2007, 06:55 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
down east offroad in wilson NC might be able to help with r&p setup. They may have some experience with Land Rovers. IT might be easy to do yourself with the diff in a bucket etc. I think i would give it a shot...
Old August 25th, 2007, 08:11 AM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

Yeah, I shot an e-mail off to the folks at Great Basin to look into the "Diff in a Bucket" thing... It sounds like it would work out perfect... I think I can pretty much handle the rest.

If it doesn't work out, I'll get with Down East Offroad.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
Scott
Old August 25th, 2007, 02:33 PM
rgrrvr
DJ Menasco is The Dude
1995 D90

what are your thoughts on a 1:4 ratio transfer case? Does this have any advantage or disadvantage vs a ring & pinion swap?
Old August 25th, 2007, 03:07 PM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

Dunno... I was hoping you'd tell me.

I'll be honest, when it comes to the drivetrain, my comfort level ends once you get past the bell housing. I'm not real smart on things like gearboxes, transfer cases, and axles... I'm still learning when it comes to all that.

I hadn't even thought of messing with the T-case... it's had a fresh rebuild (unfortunately, I wasn't planning on getting this deep into the rebuild/upgrades when I had it done, so a gearing change hadn't occurred to me).

With the diff. I need to overhaul them anyway. So, it just seems to make sense to knock out whatever needs to get done all at once.

But, I'm open to any suggestions that make sense.
Old August 25th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

1.4 t-case advantage - strenth. Disadvantage - Only High range, so no help wheeling. With 33's, I wouldn't even bother changing gear ratios. But if you want lockers and may go bigger one day, sure.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old August 28th, 2007, 08:16 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Like Buck Stated. You really don't need gears with 33's. Especially if you beefed up your motor. One of the guys on the board runns 36's with a supercharged V8 with no problems. Have you driven it after the engine work and tire swap? IF you are unhappy with it after driving it, then go with the 4.10's..
Old August 28th, 2007, 09:22 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I have 33s on my truck with a 4.6. Power wise I'm not much more than a 3.9 so I considered gears but as it stands now I use my truck for long cross country wheeling trips. On the highway i'm turning 2800- 3100 rpms on the highway for speeds btw. 65-75 mph. While the rpm increase isn't that much with 4.10 I really didn't want to cruising at a higher rpm than that. Bill does offer a 3.99 gear ratio tht i was considering.
Old August 28th, 2007, 09:39 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Can't you get a transfer case built with the same high range gearing, but geared lower on the low range?

I like the gearing my truck has for highway use so I don't want to regear in the axles. It seems to make more sense to me to lower the gearing in the transfer case.

Or am I missing something?
Old August 28th, 2007, 12:06 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I have the low range gear reduction. It's awesome but it's pricey. The only reason I did was because my t-case blew up and i needed new gears anyway. It was still twice the cost.
Old August 28th, 2007, 12:15 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Buy the gears and lockers and build them yourself! Patience and so much on line instruction makes this a good DIY job if you have the time to tinker. Plus you get to buy new tools.

Keith
www.rovertracks.com
Axles anyone?

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old August 28th, 2007, 12:52 PM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

No, I haven't driven it since I rebuilt the engine...

I finished rebuilding the engine, gearbox, and transfer case (the gearbox and t-case were professionally done), and didn't even have a chance to put it back in the truck before I had to push the whole mess into a storage unit and leave the country for work.

I'll be home for most of the winter, then I have to leave agian for the better part of a year. So, I don't see any point in trying to scramble getting it back together so I can drive it for a couple of months and put it up agian. I was planning to do a full frame-up restoration of the truck in a couple of years... but I figure since I've got it half apart (the interior is gutted and the brakes are all off, as well) I might as well just do it all now.

With that, my hope is to get all the work (that I can concieve of doing) taken care of in one shot, rather than continually tearing this thing apart to do some upgrade or another. Particularly, if I'm tearing something apart that I just overhauled. Hence, my desire for as much advice as I can get... I hate to admit it, but I'm hopeing to learn for all your experiences/mistakes as opposed to my own. The more I can get right on the first shot, the better.

As I had mentioned, gearing and such is not my forte' by any stretch of the imagination... the need for a change in gearing was an assumption/semi-educated guess...

D110 (really big truck) + 3.5LV8 (relatively small engine) + larger tires = engine strain???

...but, it sounds like the concensus is that it will not ne necessary... good news for me.

With regards to the transfer case work... unless you think there are some worthy gains to be made, I'd prefer to hold off on that. That thing is freshly rebuilt... it'd chap my a$$ to crack it open agian before it even got installed. On the same note, though ...if there are worthy gians to be made, I'd prefer to do the work now, while the thing is still out of the truck, rather than pull it out again later.

Again, thanks for the input ...whatever advice/suggestions you have are all welcome and greatly appreciated.

cheers,
scott
Old August 28th, 2007, 01:02 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
In my case I have '94 D90 with an auto box from a disco, and the low end gearing blows. I need to learn about gearing too so I know exactly what I have now and what I'll end up with if I regear.
Old August 28th, 2007, 01:04 PM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by revor
Buy the gears and lockers and build them yourself! Patience and so much on line instruction makes this a good DIY job if you have the time to tinker. Plus you get to buy new tools.

Keith
www.rovertracks.com
Axles anyone?
Well, time is something I've got pleanty of.

I can see it already... a year and a half from now I'll get home again, only to see axle parts strewn across my storage unit. A year and a half plus one day, and I'll be slinking into some shop, head down, tail between my legs, carrying a big box of parts and a couple axle housings, and asking "emmmm, can you please put this back together for me? ...I can't seem to manage."
Old August 28th, 2007, 02:11 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Scott has a 1.4 box in his truck so he is effectivly running 4.11 gears.. No "diff in a Bucket" for a Salisbury. Scott I spoke to a little bird today that assures me your Disc conversion is back on track and should ship soon!

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old August 28th, 2007, 03:08 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by punter
No, I haven't driven it since I rebuilt the engine...

I finished rebuilding the engine, gearbox, and transfer case (the gearbox and t-case were professionally done), and didn't even have a chance to put it back in the truck before I had to push the whole mess into a storage unit and leave the country for work.

I'll be home for most of the winter, then I have to leave agian for the better part of a year. So, I don't see any point in trying to scramble getting it back together so I can drive it for a couple of months and put it up agian. I was planning to do a full frame-up restoration of the truck in a couple of years... but I figure since I've got it half apart (the interior is gutted and the brakes are all off, as well) I might as well just do it all now.

With that, my hope is to get all the work (that I can concieve of doing) taken care of in one shot, rather than continually tearing this thing apart to do some upgrade or another. Particularly, if I'm tearing something apart that I just overhauled. Hence, my desire for as much advice as I can get... I hate to admit it, but I'm hopeing to learn for all your experiences/mistakes as opposed to my own. The more I can get right on the first shot, the better.

As I had mentioned, gearing and such is not my forte' by any stretch of the imagination... the need for a change in gearing was an assumption/semi-educated guess...

D110 (really big truck) + 3.5LV8 (relatively small engine) + larger tires = engine strain???

...but, it sounds like the concensus is that it will not ne necessary... good news for me.

With regards to the transfer case work... unless you think there are some worthy gains to be made, I'd prefer to hold off on that. That thing is freshly rebuilt... it'd chap my a$$ to crack it open agian before it even got installed. On the same note, though ...if there are worthy gians to be made, I'd prefer to do the work now, while the thing is still out of the truck, rather than pull it out again later.

Again, thanks for the input ...whatever advice/suggestions you have are all welcome and greatly appreciated.

cheers,
scott
There are some real gains to be made with the lower gears in the tcase, or an underdrive. You would have to decide if they are worthy though.

No help on the highway though.
Old August 29th, 2007, 09:04 AM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

Quote:
Scott has a 1.4 box in his truck so he is effectivly running 4.11 gears..
All right... didn't know that... one less thing to worry about.

Quote:
No "diff in a Bucket" for a Salisbury.
No matter... I think I'll try to do the work on my own. No better way to learn than to dig right in, eh?

Quote:
Scott I spoke to a little bird today that assures me your Disc conversion is back on track and should ship soon!
A little bird, eh? Well, that's good news... I was starting to think that they forgot about me!

Cheers,
Scott

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Scott has a 1.4 box in his truck so he is effectivly running 4.11 gears..
All right... didn't know that... one less thing to worry about.

[/QUOTE]No "diff in a Bucket" for a Salisbury. [/QUOTE] No matter... I think I'll try to do the work on my own. No better way to learn than to dig right in, eh?

[/QUOTE]Scott I spoke to a little bird today that assures me your Disc conversion is back on track and should ship soon![/QUOTE] A little bird, eh? Well, that's good news... I was starting to think that they forgot about me!

Cheers,
Scott
Old August 29th, 2007, 09:26 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

I've got a 4.6 in my 110 with a 1.2 transfercase running "33 tires and I'm very happy with the combo. I off road the truck regularly and I can easily cruise 70mph the 5 hours it takes to get to my favorite trails. If I did a lot of rock wheeling I might want lower gears but for the expedition type wheeling I do the set-up works well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions