GBR heavy duty drive flanges - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 29th, 2004, 08:16 PM
GBR heavy duty drive flanges

I run heavy duty ashscroft axles. I have a leak at the rear axle(very slow oil residue out from under the rubber cap ) twice had the hub seal(LR) changed in the last 6 months at the same axle (rear driver side),but after sometime the leak comes back.My mechanic thinks the axle is OK as of the last fix approx 3 weeks ago. I want to fix the leak but after reading the GBR description of the heavy duty drive flange maybe this is the solution for my leak.Has anyone on the list tried to use the axle oil as a lubricaten for the axle bearing as describe by GBR.

Old February 29th, 2004, 08:57 PM
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor
Jorge, I would still bet the one half shaft is out of true like we talked about. Its just wearing out the seal fast that way. Next time you stop by Vinnies, we can check it.. What does everyone elxe think?

Legend in My Own Mind.
Old February 29th, 2004, 11:51 PM

Hey Jorge, It sounds to me like you hub seal is fine. The hub seal is on the side of the hub closest to diff. It has nothing to do with gear oil mixing with you wheel bearing grease. It keeps dirt and water out and grease inside hub. Now on the inside of your stub axle is a seal that that keeps the gear oil from traveling out to the hub, and this is the seal that could allow oil and grease to mix. The little rubber cap is probably going to leak a little when oil/grease get hot. The good news is that gear oil isnt bad for wheelbearings. But you def want a double lip seal on you hub seal, to keep it from oozing onto your disc. I have seen a few LR rubber caps on a few trails. So although replacing stub axle seal would be cheapest fix- Replacing the drive flange is a better option to keep your oil in and grime out in the long run
Ps if you wheel alot in water, things can go bad real quick. Water will easily seep through seals if you are stuck or sitting water long enough. Water and gear oil, mix to a nice chocolate milk consistancy and will eventually leak through seals. probably toasting bearings in process. Rock on JP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions