Gauges - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 18th, 2003, 01:18 PM
mgrgpg
Mark
1989 D110

Gauges

My speedo and or cable ceased operating on my 94 ST. I want to switch over to the VDO electronic gauge. I know I need to install a new sender unit . I also want to change the rest of the gauges out to the vision series I believe. I read the FAQ section and the write up at yellowdefender.com for ideas.

What I was wondering was what gauges has everone found the most usefull and what other gauges should I absolutely add since I am going through this excercise. I plan on modifying the center dash panel where the clock and lighter are to accomodate more gauges.

Thanks for the input.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 18th, 2003, 01:32 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I have all VDO vision gauges except for the speedo. I wanted one last part that I did not change! I have fuel, egt, water, tach. Simple install, just make sure that you get a good ground and the right senders.

FYI: the water temp sender should be 323 095D That took three tries to get that right. Good luck.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 18th, 2003, 05:01 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Davd, you helped me on the temp sender, so I thought I'd hit you up on the fuel... what's involved in that install? Do you know the Ohm's required for that sender? The FAQ lists 270-19, but I didn't see a VDO sender with that range. What'd you use?

thanks,
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 18th, 2003, 05:27 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hi Dave,

Good to hear from you again. On the fuel you can use the stock sender and signal wire. This is a very easy install because all the wires are already sittin in there. I would run a new ground though. I wish that I still had the part number for the guage but there are 2 models to choose from. One will run right and the other runs from empty to full. I, of course, first got the one that read empty when full and had to swap out. 270-20 sounds correct to me. I hope this helps!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 18th, 2003, 11:54 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Cool... thanks Dave. I just can't belive the difference in night time visibility with the new water temp gauge. And it doesn't fog up. Now I have to get the rest of the gauges to match.
Old December 4th, 2003, 11:41 AM
mgrgpg
Mark
1989 D110

Dave...what is the advantage of having an exhaust gas temperature gauge?

Anyone install oil pressure gauges, oil temp and or transmission temp gauges?
Old December 4th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

The EGT is extremely important for Diesels but not necessary for gas trucks. Oil pressure and temp are a good ideas but not really necessary unless you are running a modified engine. The trans temp guage is important for auto's but not necessary for manuals. Good luck!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions