Gauge replacement - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 13th, 2003, 05:35 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Gauge replacement

I'd like to replace my gauges and add a few more - voltmeter, oil pressure, trans temp. Are the small ones 2-1/16" or ???

Any recommendations as to manufacturer appreciated. I'm looking into some with a black on white scheme.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2003, 06:01 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I used VDO vision series. They are white and black like you want. I would post a pic but it is too big. www.egauges.com They have great prices but can be a little spacy. I have vdo water temp, tach, fuel, and egt. The holes are 2 1/16. good luck

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 13th, 2003, 10:09 PM
Neo
Jeffrey Rosbrugh
95 D90 ST #2585

Dave, where did you install them? Did you add holes, or place them somewhere other than the main dash? I would like to do this as well, but have not found a way to add them without cutting anything new. THanks!
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2003, 10:56 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Well, I'm not Dave so...

I would remove the hazard, clock and lighter and fit three gauges there - oil pressure, voltmeter, trans temp. The hazard, rear defroster, rear wiper, rear washer would be relocated on the crashpad since they're all pretty small. They're also square and can be butted close together. As to the lighter, I owuld get a more heavy duty unit - that can handle more than just a few amps - and two more and fit them on the passenger crashpad or on the cubby next to the shifter.

In the open space (defroster, etc.) I would TRY to fit my Garmin GPS. It will slide in and out of its mount to make it removeable. This may not fit in which case I would add more light switches and what not.

Another nice switch area is in front of the coin dish. I would make a hinged triangular "box" that would rest in front of that space which can acomodate more switches. All the wiring would be tightly cabled to exit the rear as one cable. If I need to access the fuse and OBDII arear I would simply pivot up the entire box!

Yes, yes...many projects!
Old October 13th, 2003, 11:29 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I have my cb flushmounted in the lighter area so that was out for me. I have the Gas and water temp in the original dash holes. You would be amazed how inacurate the stock water temp gauge was. I then have the egt in the third hole that was already in the dash also. The tach is mounted in a cone street racer style over on the left of the dash. I got the 3.5in model. Vroom vroom I will send you a good pic tomarrow.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old October 13th, 2003, 11:33 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I've already switched the fuel with the tach. Are you running a mechanical water temp or electric? I would think just replacing an electric with another one would still give you inaccuracies.
It's amazing how the original water temp is always dead center!
Old October 14th, 2003, 11:59 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hey,

Send me an e-mail and I will send a picture back to you. I am running a resistance type water temp gauge. The sender has to be replaced. A lot of people with land rovers get the gauge they are "supposed" to get and then there temp never moves. With an accurate gauge and sender it will move all around.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac