Gas Tank woes - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 10th, 2008, 12:40 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Gas Tank woes

So I bought all the check valves, a fuel pump and slickrock skid plate for my truck only to find out I have a crack in the actual tank where a check valve sits. Has anyone had this problem? Also on the original skid plate the sway bar bolts are welded on. When putting the slick rock one on, how did everyone do it? How do you hold the bolts on top with the tank in to install? What type of bolts did you use?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2008, 08:41 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
You might try epoxy on the tank. As for the welded bolts, Mine were not. I would be suprised that they truly are.
Old January 11th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

My bolts were not welded. I bet you are just experiencing rust. Hope you ran the tank down - much easier with little gas in the tank. Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 11th, 2008, 01:14 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Maybe it was just rust and beyond stuck. Thought about epoxy but not so sure I want to mess with it. I hate the idea of fixing it, putting all new seals in, new pump and a new skid plate only to have it leak the same way again and have to pull it all apart. I know similar year range rovers and discoveries had a recall for cracks in the plastic tank like the one I have but because there are so few defenders in comparison they will never do the recall.
Old January 11th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Before the recall on Discovery tanks, we patched quite a few of them and never had a problem. I'd try it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
gas, gas tank