gas tank leak help.... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:32 PM
timtimtj
Tim Blanco
1994 Defender 90

gas tank leak help....

Oh great- a new problem to deal with. I have a leak in my D90 NAS gas tank. It appears that it is coming from under one of the breathers. I ordered new grommets BUT it looks like there is a plastic disc that that is under the grommet and that's where it it leaking from.

Does anyone have a NAS tank that they can look at to see how this piece is attached? It it just plastic welded into space?

I'd like to figure out what I'm getting into before dropping the tank.

See attached picture to see what I am talking about.

Please help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0813.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	51055  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2012, 04:43 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Just had my tank out this last weekend to replace the fuel pump so have some pics from the top.

If I understand what youíre asking I donít think you can repair it easily. The top white piece is the valve. The black ring its sitting on is a rubber seal. The next black ring down is part of the tank that is welded/melted whatever into the top. From your picture, if its leaking from there then you may have problems.

If you pull the tank and clean it out thoroughly to get all the fuel and fumes out then you may be able to Ďre-meltí it closed or seal it possibly but I have never had much luck with sealing LR Plastic tanks. The tank gets under quite a bit of pressure and blows out most fixes Iíve ever tried from the outside. Maybe you can seal it from the inside with some fuel resistant epoxy (if that exists?) or sealer of some sort?

Anyway, hope the top view pic helps if nothing else.

Ian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fuel Tank Breather.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	51056  
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:01 PM
timtimtj
Tim Blanco
1994 Defender 90

Thanks for the pic...yup, I think it's leaking from that disc. It looks like someone tried to seal it once before as there was a lot of rubber sealant around it that just flaked off- see pic.

I guess I'll need to leave it to my mechanic to come up with something. I was hoping that the disc would pop off and it could be sealed from the underside somehow. Any other suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
Just had my tank out this last weekend to replace the fuel pump so have some pics from the top.

If I understand what youíre asking I donít think you can repair it easily. The top white piece is the valve. The black ring its sitting on is a rubber seal. The next black ring down is part of the tank that is welded/melted whatever into the top. From your picture, if its leaking from there then you may have problems.

If you pull the tank and clean it out thoroughly to get all the fuel and fumes out then you may be able to Ďre-meltí it closed or seal it possibly but I have never had much luck with sealing LR Plastic tanks. The tank gets under quite a bit of pressure and blows out most fixes Iíve ever tried from the outside. Maybe you can seal it from the inside with some fuel resistant epoxy (if that exists?) or sealer of some sort?

Anyway, hope the top view pic helps if nothing else.

Ian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0808.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	51057  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:20 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Not good ones. Would have to pull it and look at what/how its leaking to determine the best approach to try and seal it. Nothing I have ever tried has really stuck very well to the plastic they make these things from and the pressure normally blows them back out again. If its a very small hole or crack then maybe a soldering iron or something to try and melt it closed? I've heard of plastic weld kits but never tried one on this type of plastic.

Maybe others have had some better luck and can chime in?
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:26 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
If you search you'll find threads where I had success plastic welding a NAS gas tank, but not in a area where shape was critical. It's hard to tell from your picture exactly what is needed on yours, but if you could preserve a shape the grommet liked to seal against I think plastic welding might work. Or find a ring the right size in polyethylene and weld that in.

You'll need to drop the tank and clean it really well before attempting it though.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:06 PM
timtimtj
Tim Blanco
1994 Defender 90

Thanks- saw the thread. I'm not sure what, if anything will work for this spot unless that plastic trim part could be removed alltogether and then readhered. obviously the prep work is key. I just want to be sure we use the right product to do the job!
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:10 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Are you sure it is just not the gasket? Seems most likely to me.

BTW, while you are in there, make sure to replace the skid plate with an aluminium or galvanized one and all the bolts and reinstall with lots of anti-sieze!
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:19 PM
timtimtj
Tim Blanco
1994 Defender 90

From what I can see without dropping the tank, it's coming from below the gasket- I can't be certain but that's how it looks to me. I could only wish that it was just the grommet but being that it appears that someone previously tries to seal the area, it's my guess that it's not the grommet.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:16 PM
timtimtj
Tim Blanco
1994 Defender 90

Looks like plastic welding is the best option followed by plastic epoxy.
Anyone with any experience with either? Recommendations on a plastic epoxy that might hold on the fuel tank?
Old March 12th, 2013, 10:04 PM
JKC
John
1997 D-90

me too!

Tim,
I have the exact same problem on my 97. Had the fuel tank dropped and thought it was the rubber grommet. Tuned out to be a hairline crack in the flat area where the grommet meets the round mold of the tank. Basically split where the tank was molded together. A shop and I did some research and basically came up with what you did - plastic welding. We gave it a shot by using a soldering iron to re-melt the plastic and then smooth it flat. Leaks much less but not 100% fixed. When the tank is full, after driving you can see it on the side of the tank. It did however significantly reduce the fuel smell in the cab I wish we could have added in some wire mesh and additional plastic weld but we were afraid we would never get a good seal around the grommet. Maybe the trick it to somehow seal it from the inside. If you come up with a good solution please post it.
Old March 13th, 2013, 07:46 AM
timtimtj
Tim Blanco
1994 Defender 90

I ended up having a shop epoxy the leaking area. I tried to source a replacement tank- good luck with that.
I read how the epoxy would not hold, etc... But whatever the radiator shop used has been holding fine so far. You might want to try the epoxy route like I did.
Old March 13th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I would have gone with brass breather with a top and bottom sealing washer with rubber washers. That's how Webasto recommends adding their 2nd feed line to an existing tank.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
gas, gas tank