Gas Smell - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 8th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Gas Smell

Hi,

I recently had drop the gas tank to change a faulty fuel pump. Not too long after I started thinking I smelled gas after a drive. I think now it is getting slightly worse - and I can smell the gas when I just move the truck in the driveway (the smell disappears after several minutes of the engine being off).

I think the smell is coming strongest from the passenger side wheel well.

THIS time I had the shop that dropped the tank, put in an access panel to the fuel pump. I had to have the exercise done twice in my ownership, and did not doubt that this would save me a ton of trouble in the future.

I have removed the access panel, run the engine, and it is dry as a bone with no smell at the top of the tank. I was glad to be able to eliminate this area.

I also can not find any wet spots in the wheel, or the gas cap filler tube, or the fuel filter. At some point I need to get this looked at. Questions?

1) Do you think there is any danger in driving the truck? I don't think so.......but am I being stupid?

2) Think I should get it looked at ASAP? Or when convenient and I am in for something else?

3) Any ideas? We all have the same truck and I am sure someone has had exactly this situation.

Thanks,

Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2010, 05:29 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
What model is your truck? They aren't all the same and I'm not familiar with any that have a fuel pump in the tank. Thanks.

Daniel
Old October 8th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Sorry - 1995 Defender 90 NAS.

Maybe I don't know what I am looking at. I thought that was the fuel pump. I had the access panel put in because I was told it would make it SO MUCH EASIER to replace that part again or check the wiring in the future if something goes wrong again. I can see that it would make this easier if I (with my limited mechanical skills) could access this part in 5 minutes versus having to drop the tank.

It is where the gas comes out of the top of my fuel tank. This is round and white and sits in a depression in the top of the fuel tank.

But Like I said, I don't think this area where the fuel lines come out of the top of my tank is the issue, because that area is dry and does not smell.

Thanks,

Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2010, 09:55 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
The fuel lines are connected just in front of the tank to hard lines (2 - one to and one from the engine) that run on top of the frame rail on the passenger side. You can smell and check for leaks until at least under the passenger seat. Make sure the vent are connected to the canister right next to the filler tube, but since the smell disappear after the engine is off, I'd suspect the two main lines.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old October 9th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

OK.............thanks. That sounds like it is a good possibility............Been a string of problems all summer...........I thought I had most beat (until I look in the A/C next Spring). Now this! One more thing to track down. Wonder what a hassle this one is going to be

FYI - I just realzed that this is not in the Defender Technical thread section. I posted it in the wrong place. I tried to figure out how to move it, but could not........if the Admin reads this, maybe he could move it to the right spot.

Thanks,

Flagg
Old October 13th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Well...........my truck is going to be off to Treasured Motor Cars to look at again.

Today I tried to follow advice of MonLand and track the lines. I started the engine and started smelling gas. I let it run a couple minutes and then got down with a flashlight and started following the gas line forward. Nothing. Where was it coming from?

Then I got up and shut the truck off after probably less then 10 minutes. I leaned down to pick up the mat - AND SAW a puddle of gas under the center rear! I got back down with my light and saw a slow drip traveling down the rear transfer case and dripping on the driveway. I could not see where it was originating - somewhere above the rear skid plate.......The puddle was probably 8" Dia +/- in that short time.

It evaporated fast...........probably I had not noticed something so obvious because it took letting the truck idle in the same place for it to occur.

The guys at Treasured have always been good to me. I think since they had the tank down in mid-august, they will really help me with this one.

I am on a great AAA plan with towing. Even though I have been driving the truck, NOW that I KNOW how much gas is leaking when it is running, I think I will have it towed...........

That is today's report.......

Flagg
Old October 19th, 2010, 11:32 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Sad to see my truck towed today. I am looking forward to getting the leak fixed and maybe getting my truck back to being reliable again!

Flagg
Old November 3rd, 2010, 01:30 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Turns out that the gas return line had been cut in half by a clam that had been tightened to much..........easy fix. No gas smell now

Flagg

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
gas