Gas gauge always reads empty - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:45 PM
Sam Odio
2008 LR2
Gas gauge always reads empty

Pulled the gauge off the dash. The fuel sender is reading 0 ohm when the vehicle off and infinite resistance when it's on.

I'm assuming the next step is to drop the fuel tank and inspect the sender. Is there anything else I can check before I do that?

Unrelated: I tried siphoning the gas tank to empty it but I can't seem to get the hose to the bottom of the tank (it seemed to be blocked somewhere in the filler neck). Has anyone had this problem before?

Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:40 PM
kelly kortman
1994 land rover defender
I had a fuel gauge that always read "full" and it turned out to be an electrical issue in the dash that also was sending me wrong readings on the engine temp. but in owning a defender it could be anything to include a bad fuel sender as you've said, personally I've had rewiring done, new fuel lines, fuel pump, fuel filter, etc. If your rig is still running then you are better off than I was when I was dealing with my issues.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions