Gas Cap-Believe it or not... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 16th, 2009, 09:52 AM
artpeck
Art Peck
1995 NAS D-90

Gas Cap-Believe it or not...

I am in California and have to pass the smog test which the truck has now failed twice. Second time was due to a "non conforming gas cap" which allows unacceptable levels of evaporation. The issue is that when the cap screws into the filler neck there is a gap between the base of the cap and the neck lip so it seems there is not a tight seal. I have no idea if this is the OEM cap (if not, an easy fix) or just another "feature" of Land Rover design. Can anyone tell me that their cap screws tight to the lip of the neck or not?

Apologies for such a lame question but no smog pass, no registration. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2009, 10:10 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
buy an aftermarket cap, put it on for smog, then when you pass put the OEM one back on.
Old August 16th, 2009, 01:46 PM
artpeck
Art Peck
1995 NAS D-90

thanks. i wasn't clear in my post. i don't know if the current cap is oem or aftermarket and don't have one to compare to. i would think the oem cap would tighten flush with the lip but then again never assume with a land rover...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
it should definitely seal tight. you wouldn't want water getting in your tank in a rain or when fording, nor would you want flammable vapor spewing out the side of your vehicle all the time (nice surprise for a smoker walking by), your gas just evaporating away, or your gas spilling out of the tank past the cap on high camper trail rides.

those caps should have a pressure release valve however that resets, so if it's really hot and the tank is full, the release valve purges the excessive pressure then reseals,much like a radiator cap. on hot days, my wifes D2 cap (same cap) can be heard venting after she gets home.

there is nothing good about a bad sealing gas cap.

what a lot of people don't realize is that a gas cap is a regular service item. they should be replaced periodically, just like your radiator hoses, etc. if you want to avoid unexpected maintenance issues.
Old August 16th, 2009, 04:11 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
Had the same problem here in colorado, but it was because the rubber seal on the cap was kinda of dried out and cracked. Now I just put a little rubber conditioner on the cap once in a while to prevent that. That was a PITA.

bought a new cap and yes it does seal tight to the filler.
Old August 16th, 2009, 04:30 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The cap is a very standard Stant one.
Old August 16th, 2009, 06:26 PM
artpeck
Art Peck
1995 NAS D-90

thanks. it appears that the previous owner stuck a non fitting cap on. ordered an oem which will hopefully solve the problem. thanks everyone.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
gas, gas cap