Garage/Shop Design Ideas - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old December 27th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Alex Lapidus
1994 D90 ST #1716
Garage/Shop Design Ideas

Hey All,
I'm fixing to build a shop/garage in my backyard. I'll use it mainly for working on the Defender, my motorcycle, and making furniture. It is going to be about 2-car sized, but will probably only house the Defender, which I'll back out into the alley when bigger projects require the whole shop space. I'd love to hear any important do's/don't and see other people shop space. I have a rough budget of $20K. I don't have a design yet so if anyone has some they want to share I'd be pretty excited to see it.

Old December 27th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team
9-foot doors. You might buy a roof rack.

Overhead winch/hoist. You might do an engine or chassis swap.

Old December 27th, 2007, 02:45 PM
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black
Talking new shop

new shop ideas!

oh sorry that was 20 K not 20 M

ps, i'm just jealous
Old December 27th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top
I just bought a new house and when I did the garage floors I used the U-coat it system. I would not recommend this system as I find it sctraches easily.
Old December 27th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding
Under the do's and dont's:
Do have adequate fire protection, ventilation, and an easily accessible telephone if you will work in the shop alone.

Don't mix metal working (read welding/grinding) and wood working in the same space. If you must do so (as I must, due to space limitations) keep your woodworking equipment and shop space scrupulously sawdust free.

Store fuel, flammable liquids, and aerosol cans in a separate space from welding/grinding work.

Bring in 220VAC electrical service, so you can have a decent welder, compressor, etc.

Build your compressor into a shed or other enclosure so you and the neighbors don't have to listen to it.

Pour a nice flat concrete pad so you can roll things around on it easily.

I built two work benches out of rectangular steel tubing. One is attached to the wall, and is a little bit taller than the other. The other is on wheels, is a little shorter, and can roll under the one attached to the wall.

If you have metal cabinets, gun safe, etc., set them in place on blocks of delrin, abs, or other plastic, and they will be less prone to rust.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your project!
Old December 27th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Tim Brown
'95 D90 ST '99D2
Some great ideas and lots of designs on the forum here::
I got your JEEP thing, now it hurts when I pee!!
Old December 27th, 2007, 08:40 PM
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team
I would seriously consider a used lift... I have seen prices from 500-5000. Call around, I am sure you could find them pretty easily. And absolutely put a 9 foot door in, you could even find a roll up door to keep your ceilings free, you need a functional work space.

Old December 27th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Jim C.
Calculate your space requirements, then double them!
Old December 27th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Jeff Briggs
Antarctic Blue Super Sports Wagon
Site Team
Originally Posted by devinchi
Some great ideas and lots of designs on the forum here::
Yea i find myself there from time to time. Its a sister site to the HAMB where i find myself alot!

Here is a pic of my shop. Its 35 wide by 40 deep, with 12 foot walls. Most lifts need 12 feet, so I poured the floor about 6 inches down the foundation for a bit of clearance when 'someday' comes and I get a lift. It has a 16x 10 foot opening so I can get just about anything in there. Before you pour, plan out where you want your utilities and have them stubbed in. As a minimum, I'd do power and water, and sewer if you have room for a bathroom. That way you aren't going into the house greasy to use the bathroom (keeps the wife happy).

As for the $20K budget, its is very doable if you are doing the work your self. Where at in PDX are you? If you need a contractor, you could try Dennis Bell. He is a Rover guy (mostly series) and he does nice work.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	December 2007 002b.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	11495  
Old December 27th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye
If no lift, put a pit in one of the bays.. You can make wooden panels (2x4's + 3/4 ply) to cover it when not in use to keep the whole floor space useable.

Hot water! big utility sink. case of lava soap.

heater / insulated walls. (winter)

keep one wall open for sotarge of lumber/raw materials and shelving to keep all your stuff neat and organized.

overhead beams for a trolley/hoist for lifting & moving heavy engines/machinery etc. definitely.

love the idea of a work table that rolls under the main workbench.. great use of space. make the top heavy steel for welding.

plan out the machine positions ahead..... and if you're going to do any real amount of woodworking definitely plan for a rudimentary (at least) dust collection system!!

computer access to access documents /diagrams etc.. printer. scanner if you like to archive all sorts of things.

cork board for posting things.

plan a big window + fan, with a shelf for a makeshift spray booth for any time you're dealing with solvent based chems.

Hose and garage door adapter so you can run your engine inside the garage, porting the fumes out.

have fun planning, I'm jealous!!!!
Old December 29th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Discovery 1998
heated floor

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions