Galvy Frame Swap in Long Island?NYC Metro Area - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 11th, 2012, 10:10 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Galvy Frame Swap in Long Island?NYC Metro Area

I have an '84 ROW d-90 with a 200tdi. The frame is OK, but I would like to do a frame swap. I got a starting base line minimum estimate of $15,000 from DAP(if there are no ancillary issues). By the way, I've addressed many of the associated issues such as suspension, exhaust, brake lines, etc. That being said, I'd like to be closer to $10,000 as a base line price (including frame), and ideally I'd like to stay in the Long Island / metro NYC area. Worse case, I'd like to stay under $12,000. Does anyone have any idea if $10,000 is an unreasonable budget and does anyone know of anyone on or close to Long Island that may be qualified, interested and able to do the job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Are you willing to go to Mass?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 12th, 2012, 12:52 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Those are pretty steep prices. Should be able to be had for $6-8k I'd think. Not sure of his pricing, but call Bob Courtney @ RBE (he's a member here, bcourtney, and he's in upstate NY).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 12th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

A straight frame swap isn't that big of a deal on a newer truck, The problem is that when you take a 84 truck not many bolts and brackets like to come off. Also a lot of the trucks have things that you will want to fix when you put everything back together. It just depends upon how detailed you want to go. You should be able to pull the whole body off the frame with the main wiring harness still attached. Transfer all the running gear with engine, swap chassis loom, (good time to upgrade/correct anything), and you are done. A Galvy frame cost around $2,500.00 plus shipping. http://www.safarihp.com/defender/def...chassis-1.html
So your parts cost probably will go over the 3K mark. I would think a budget of 10K would be realistic as you will find some stuff you need to replace during the transplant. However everything may go very easy and you may be able to spend less. A time and material job could be a bit scary but a fixed price job may find short cuts to get into the quoted price.
Old July 12th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Are you willing to go to Mass?
Rocky,

Who do you recommend in Mass?..
Thnx
Old July 12th, 2012, 11:45 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

send a message to TDIguy he is more than qualified.
Old July 12th, 2012, 04:17 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Thanks for the suggestions and PMs. Following up. To answer Rocky's question, Yes I am willing to go to Massachusetts.
Old July 12th, 2012, 04:49 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
send a message to TDIguy he is more than qualified.
Plus his truck already looks sort of like the one TDI did for his dad years ago.
Old July 12th, 2012, 08:11 PM
parovertech
john palita
1973 series III,

Frame swap

If you would like to come to PA, I am more than able to do the swap. I would charge a flat fee of 11k as long as i can keep the truck for a week. Pm me to discuss or for contact info
Old July 15th, 2012, 09:48 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Interested as well
Old July 17th, 2012, 03:12 PM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

im on long island and offer all aspects of rover repair ....... im willing to talk give me a call

ROVERTEK @ facebook
Old July 17th, 2012, 06:20 PM
jimmybuffett
Tom
Hell On Wheels....

Registry
Rovertek

FYI -Just picked up my D90 from Chris (Rovertek) , he is a master mechanic and a true gentleman. He is a wealth of information and a perfectionist .

The work Chris did on my truck would have cost double at any other shop , couldn't even imagine what it would have cost at a LR dealership....I would recommend that any who lives in the tri state area put his number/ email in your phone .

(516)902-1001
[email]chrismviola@yahoo.com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions