Galvanizing resource NH, MA, ME - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 21st, 2009, 05:53 PM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough
66' IIa, 95 D 90 300 Tdi, 94,98 D1

Galvanizing resource NH, MA, ME

Hi Guys

I'm planing a rebuild of the D 90 and am considering protective coatings. After running a few trucks for a number of years, it's clear the only parts that dont rust are the ones galvanized. I imagine even epoxy paint eventually gives up to the rust.

I'm starting w/ a galvanized chassis. I have a collection of new body parts I'd like to get galvanized; Side Doors, Bulkhead, Rear Door. If anyone has suggestions from first hand experience on other coatings, please chime in.

Anyone out there thats worked with someone in the trade thats reliable and knows Rovers thats located in New Hampshire, Mass or Maine. If there's a resource someplace in New England- RI, CT, VT thats doable too.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2009, 06:54 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
This is the MA location for the company I use down in Jersey:

http://www.hotdipgalvanizing.com/locations/taunton.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old October 22nd, 2009, 09:54 AM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough

Thanks Jim,

Where you mention this firms shop in NJ, would you happen to know if either location has a stronger suit over the other for working specifically with Rover parts? I seem to recall seeing a Taunton MA location for galvanizing mentioned by someone before on the forum so I'm thinking this could be an ideal resource for me if they have hands on experience (ideally).

I just have the obvious concerns about the hot dip process and then quenching etc. Just trying to find a shop that has been there done that before.

Just another question I have is where these (new) parts have the factory paint spray on them, do they need to be stripped ahead of time and is that something these guys can do as part of their process?

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:02 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I haven't called their MA location, but the NJ place is huge, has the biggest tanks in the US, and is focused on large industrial projects. They don't do any stripping or anything, they just dip your stuff in the acid bath, water bath, then zinc and they only offer one process i.e. they don't have an "industrial spec" and an "architectural spec." Different facilities offer different things, and its worth a call, but I'm quite certain that no one you call will be familiar with Rover parts. The best you can maybe expect is a place that will offer a higher level of aesthetic finish. If you really want the OEM smooth galv look, you're not really going to get that with sandblasted parts - use a chemical strip instead.

Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:07 AM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough

Thanks again Jim, Thats kinda what I thought as far as a place that regularly see's Rover parts. Just not enough volume across the region to create that level of familiarity.

I'll give these folks a call as a starting point and see where it goes. If anything good comes of it I'll post the tips back here.

Thanks
Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:21 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
I used this company in Utica, NY for a rear crossmember. Maybe a little out of your way, but I still wanted to mention them.

Hubbell Galvanizing: www.whyrust.com

They are a very large company, doing galvanizing for most of the road sign posts used in the country among other things. They did a great job and were a real pleasure to deal with. They have a $150 minimum charge.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:27 AM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough

Thanks Greg,

I may give these guys a shout too. It's the personal recommendations I was looking for and I appreciate yours. I'm really trying to do this project the right way and just once. Tired of dealing with trying to keep up with the rust issues. These trucks seem labor intensive all by themselves to keep them in good order. Up here in the hills it's easy to fall behind on maintainence if your always batteling rust.

Thanks again!
Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:58 AM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Mark, you may want to check with Matt Browne at Overland Engineering. I know he has stuff done often. 207 450 2187
Old October 22nd, 2009, 11:07 AM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough

Thanks Gary,

Matt was actually who I contacted first. Something about he does not have a resource anymore for stripping the parts before dipping (??). Not being real familiar with what the whole process is and how stripping plays into getting a good job done, I figured just reach out here for personal references. So far this forum has been great!!

I'm thinking the place in Taunton MA may be the place he uses.

Thanks!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
galvanizing