Galvanizing a frame - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 26th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Francois
Francois
1986 110

Galvanizing a frame

I am about to start a rebuild on my 110. I have been wanting to galvanize the frame once I have it all stripped. I called a couple of places near my home, one in Birmingham and one in Mobile. (I am in south East AL). Both places don`t want to deal with a vehicle frame due to liability issues?

Have any of you guys run into this situation? Does anyone know of a place I can contact who would be willing to do this? Thx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2011, 09:07 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

I've used these guys at their Tulsa, OK plant. Looks like they have one in Citronelle, AL.

http://www.azzgalvanizing.com/locations.htm
Old February 27th, 2011, 06:42 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Don't see why there shoould be any liability issues? frames are galv'd all the time here, and we're still alive!

just make sure there's no "sealed" pockets of metal... the zinc is that hot, it'll expand it and can blow it out. my 110 frame is a HD ex military one, there are plates welded all over it for extra strength, and 2 of them, where the plate is welded on all 4 sides, bubbled up like pooly laid carpet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Francois
Francois
1986 110

James, thanks for the link. I will give them a call this week.
Jamie, when I called about galvanizing a frame, both places refused to do it. Their explanation was that the heat could distort the frame and they did not want to be liable for anything in case of an accident.
Old March 6th, 2011, 12:39 AM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

I galvanized my frame and I just put the frame in with a batch from a local steel working place. The galvanizer never said anything about it. I didn't want to put it in alone because they had a minimum tonnage requirement or a minimum price of $1400 (the just do large batches). I didn't want to pay that much for it so putting it in with a batch from another steel working company was just the ticket and I ended up at around $400 for the job. You might try figuring out if you have any friends that work for chain link fence companies or other steel working companies to get your frame in with a batch of their stuff. Good luck with it!
Old March 6th, 2011, 03:50 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Jamie, when I called about galvanizing a frame, both places refused to do it. Their explanation was that the heat could distort the frame and they did not want to be liable for anything in case of an accident.

Crikey, that's a bit extreme isn't it?

maybe try giving Mike @ ECR a shout...they dip their frames, and LR "used" to do it years back with the Australian Perentie rovers, so it can't be all bad.
Old March 6th, 2011, 07:07 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I am about to start a rebuild on my 110. I have been wanting to galvanize the frame once I have it all stripped. I called a couple of places near my home, one in Birmingham and one in Mobile. (I am in south East AL). Both places don`t want to deal with a vehicle frame due to liability issues?

Have any of you guys run into this situation? Does anyone know of a place I can contact who would be willing to do this? Thx.

Two companies in the UK (Marsland and Richards) sell umpteen galvanised chassis' a year, and no one sues them.

Other companies will galvanise a used chassis, they just make you sign a waiver acknowledging that they don't guarantee your frame will come out OK.

Dear product liability attorneys of the world, I hope you catch your dicks in your zippers today.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old March 8th, 2011, 01:20 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Richards also loses a percentage of chassis during galvanizing, the number 1:15 or 1:20 seems to come to mind. There's a risk but generally it should be fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old March 8th, 2011, 01:51 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Don't tell them it is a frame for a car, tell them it is for a tractor.

Ron
Old March 8th, 2011, 01:52 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Good suggestion Ron, that's probably the ticket!
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:49 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

There are plenty of galvanizers in the northeast that have no issues doing frames ( I have done quite a few) and I have never heard of them not doing anything for liability on their end. It would seem that would be the responsibility of the person getting the galvanizing done wouldn't it?

Can they coat it without destroying it is another story

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Francois
Francois
1986 110

Thanks for all the replies gentlemen. I spoke with the guys at azz galvanizing and they do not seem to have a problem with it. I just have to send them some measurements and we`ll see what kind of quote I end up with.
The vehicle is a 1986 110 I bought in Switzerland while stationed in Germany. I picked it up at the port last week and I have most of the body off the frame already. The motivation does not seem to wear off yet...
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:12 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

Should be 4-500...

I believe they go by weight???
Old October 24th, 2011, 07:15 PM
JBinAlabama
john
Series 2A ..more parts on the way

Francois,

How did it go?
Did yo use AZZ in Citronel, AL?
Old October 24th, 2011, 11:12 PM
roverx
Scott Preston
1969 Ser IIA Tdi Hybrid

Here is one in Nashville I use. http://www.nagalv.com/ I have done a frame and a lot of parts here. They go by weight. About $350 $400 for a chassis. I think you can arrange to do it in one day if you schedule ahead.

good luck
2003 VW Jetta wagon 1.9 Tdi 5 speed
1995 Range Rover Classic 300 Tdi SoftDash (My Son's)

"Be the person your dog thinks you are"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
galvanizing