Galvanized bolts from Home Depot--Good/Bad? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 25th, 2009, 10:49 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Galvanized bolts from Home Depot--Good/Bad?

Hello again everyone,

Can anyone tell me which is a better choice for bolts? I have heard the argument about using different types of metals and causing a chemical reaction but all I hear on this thread is the use of stainless steel bolts. I will be getting a new galvanized frame soon and need to get new bolts. Would it be better to use galvanized bolts on a galvanized frame? I see them all over the place at home depot. I am having a hard time finding stainless steel bolts that are long enough. Do they make stainless in grade 8? Sorry for the newbie question. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 25th, 2009, 11:06 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX
Hello again everyone,

Can anyone tell me which is a better choice for bolts? I have heard the argument about using different types of metals and causing a chemical reaction but all I hear on this thread is the use of stainless steel bolts. I will be getting a new galvanized frame soon and need to get new bolts. Would it be better to use galvanized bolts on a galvanized frame? I see them all over the place at home depot. I am having a hard time finding stainless steel bolts that are long enough. Do they make stainless in grade 8? Sorry for the newbie question. Thanks
My guess is you should use stainless.
Old October 25th, 2009, 11:16 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

If it matters if it breaks (even in an accident), use zinc plated grade 8.8 or 10.9. If it is merely cosmetic and does NOT directly touch aluminium, use stainless if you want (ie things like door bolts). What I do is use the zinc plated 8.8 and then use wurth copper antisieze on the threads and spray the heads with waxoyl or lithium grease spray. mcmaster.com has all the bolts you need.
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I looked intot the galvy HD bolts a long time ago. AFAIK they are not graded, i.e. grade 2 or lower. They are also coarse thread and most of our stuff should be fine thread. Last but not least I don;t think they offer them in metric. Someone in the past put SS bolts all over my truck and then waxoyled the snot out of everything. So far that has not cause me any headaches and I am keeping the SS stuff in most cases.

BTW, home depot sux. I find 9 times out of 10 they never have everything I need or the quality of stuff is suspect. I always go to the local hardware store first even though their prices are 5-10% higher and they often don't have stuff either. They provide a value to the community that HD and the like never will. Avoid the big boxes if you can IMO.

Aside from that minor rant, Ron has it down...what he said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX
Hello again everyone,

Old October 26th, 2009, 10:52 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Community hardware stores will usually have better pick-bins for selecting exactly what you need, if they are good and stay on top of their stock.

I use home depot/lowes when its 9 at night and I need a bolt, but otherwise avoid avoid avoid. As an example, I needed some M12x30 bolts a while back. HD had them for like 1.75 each (which I bought because I needed them) but mcmaster sells the same thing in packs of 10 for like 5 bucks.

When I'm working on a weekend, I try to "look ahead" and see what I need to bolt on during the following weekend. I order from mcmaster on monday and usually see the order by wednesday or thursday.

Old October 26th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Exclamation

Do not use a sS bolt for a load bearing application, i.e. suspension seat belts etc. SS bolts in hardware stores do not have the tensile strength as grade 8 steel.
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:18 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
FYI it IS possible to source higher strength SS bolts.
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
I know...but typically the local hardware store will not carry them...
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:59 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

I've found that True Value and particularly Ace Hardware stores have excellent nut and bolt departs with stainless, metric, etc. They are in bins too instead of those irritating packaged allotments at HD and Lowes.
I also avoid the big boxes like the plague.
Just thought I'd chime in with a short anti-big box rant.
Old October 26th, 2009, 01:05 PM
badgerman
Christopher Laws
1964 Land Badger
D-90 Source Vendor

Try www.fastenal.com
Old October 27th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14
FYI it IS possible to source higher strength SS bolts.
I've never seen a SS bolt with the strength rating of a grade 8 bolt. I am not saying it is not possible, but working with metal all day, I seriously doubt there is any SS that can out muscle an M2 grade 8 bolt. I would stick with grade 8 or 10.9 metric on anthing you really don't want to break.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 27th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
at the risk of overly beating a dead horse I will add that I looked into the high strength SS bolts through mcmaster carr. The strength is more like a grade 5 SAE IIRC but they are prohibitively expensive. on my vehicle the SS has been used for door hinges, sills, floors, tub to rear x member, roof to windscreen, and lots of little things in the engine compartment. nothing structural like suspension bolts or the like. They did use them on the rear lower spring perches, mainly becasue the early axle used a threaded perch welded to the axle rather than a through-bolted style as on the later trucks. I thought it suspect but the spring retainer would likely fail long before the SS bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
I've never seen a SS bolt with the strength rating of a grade 8 bolt. I am not saying it is not possible, but working with metal all day, I seriously doubt there is any SS that can out muscle an M2 grade 8 bolt. I would stick with grade 8 or 10.9 metric on anthing you really don't want to break.
Old February 13th, 2010, 02:13 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

For securing the third member housing, are grade 8 nuts appropriate?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#cad-2d/97135a235/=5swfzq

I also need some new nuts and bolts for my rear drive shaft since some were rounded when I pulled it. I believe that the nut is the same as used for the third member. Does anyone know offhand the size of bolt required for the rear driveshaft?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bolts