Fuse keeps blowing (Electrical short) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 28th, 2010, 06:36 PM
redrockrover
Russell Phillips
1994 Defender 90

Fuse keeps blowing (Electrical short)

I need some help on an electrical short. I have a 94 D-90 and the fuse number 5 (10-amp) under the dash that controls the temp gage, gas gage and blinkers keeps on blowing. I replaced it with another 10-amp fuse and it will blow but not right away. It will usually blow with in five mins of driving it. I put a 15-amp fuse in to get me home and it blew after about 10 to 15 mins of driving. I really have not looked any closer. Can some one point me in the right direction to start looking for the short? I am not the best when it comes to looking for shorts.

Thanks,

Russ

'94 AA Yellow
# 891
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 29th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi Russ as the fuse does not blow straight away its not a dead short, the most common cause of shorts on the instrument line is one of the earth tags on the back of the instuments touching a live.

remove the instument cluster(its easier with the steering wheel off ) and make sure all earth connections are tight and not close to the live wires, while there check the condition of the wires for any hardening, cracking or discolouraition of the insulation.

I am slacking in work at mo and dont have a wiring diagram to hand but try to find if there has been additions to the wiring from this fuse.

BTW . never uprate a fuse it may take longer to blow but in that time your wiring may get hot enough to melt.!

regards

Gren
Old April 11th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Bizarre.

The exact same thing started happening to me today. Fuse #5 (signal, brake lights, fuel gauge etc) started shorting. I replaced the fuse but it kept popping. Is this really due wires touching in the dash?

I partially removed a trailer break system a week ago. I have yet to trace & remove some wires back to the battery and I assume that they also interconnect with the signal/break wires as well at some point? I am not clear on how these are wired. I immediately thought that it was my partial removal of the trailer break system that caused the short. Is this not the case? Russel, did you confirm that it was an earth touching a live wire? If it is the trailer break system removal causing it I am surprised that it didn't start shorting until about a week later. It's been fine all week.

I know next to nothing about electrical issues so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
last friday I finally took Shrek back home after the reno, and before I made it out of the bay, the rear wires ( turn signal were crossed.

Not that is your problem, but take the signal out ( most of those rust and they could be rubbing + with -

Specially you Carl if you removed the trailer wiring, maybe something got molested

GL
Old April 11th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Take them out of where?
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

How is the tow harness wired? Does it at some point hook up with signal/break wiring?

I also experienced some intermittent failure of the right turn signal (rear probably) the week before I started removing the tow harness. Could this be related?
Old April 15th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Problem fixed!

Apparently a tow harness with plugs removed does not play nice with the rest of the electrical system. I removed the rest of it and now it's all back to normal.
Old April 19th, 2010, 11:45 AM
defeyago
Santiago
96 Defender 110 VGTdi SW County

Registry
It happened to my that I had same shortage problems with bare wires touching metal from the harness that goes inside the chassis to the rear. You can make a test of unplugging those wires from the main harness. Plugs are 2 or 3 and are located below the heater matrix against the firewall. If unplugging those, and the problem is not in the back, then its inside the chassis. In this post (in spanish) are pictures of what I`ve found inside mine. I fixed everything up an put all harness inside a corrugated tubing and then back inside the chassis so it will never again a wire will rub against metal.

http://www.landroverclub.com.ar/viewtopic.php?t=100120

Hope it helps.
04 Freelander Td4 5 dr.
97 Alfa Romeo 146 TD (Sold)
95 Volvo 850 GLT Estate
94 Discovery Tdi (Webasto equipped)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
electrical, wing