Defender Source Forum banner

Fuse Box easy to replace?

Tags
ac
12K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  VQ-1 
#1 ·
Where can I get ahold of a new fuse box? and are they easy to replace? I saw some smoke and found one of my fuses melting. It rained real hard the other day and the truck wouldn't start because the fuel pump wouldn't come on. It started fine the next day but now i noticed this. The pump still turns on even though I took the fuse out.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Its completely integrated with the wiring harness - you can't replace it at all without either replacing the harness or cutting all the individual wires.

Painless makes some excellent waterproof fuseboxes which could substitute nicely (albeit with a lot of cutting and crimping/soldering)

If someone knows how to disconnect wires from the fusebox or connectors, I'd like to hear about it.

Also, I've got a spare harness from a non-nas truck you can have for cheap if you want to cut all the ends and replace with an LR fusebox.

Follow-up Post:

BTW - swapping out the fusebox will also allow you to add a circuit or two so that you dont have to tap into fuses for your radio lead or accessories.

#3 ·
Thats the third one I have seen do that. And like Jim said major PITA to replace, for now buy an inline fuse holder at the autoparts store and wire it in until you decide what to do (most just leave it with the inline fuse).

#9 ·
Well, mine is number 4, then. I repeatedly had that fuse keep melting albeit, not as bad shown here. I also thought it had something to do with rain ingress.

I did notice that the wire sheathing at the connector had broken and the wire was bare for about half an inch up from the fuse.

I recently replaced the wires and connectors for the fuel pump. It was very straightforward and pretty easy. I'll let you all know if i have any further issues.

#5 ·
You want to take the wires off the back of the block and bypass the fuseblock altogether for your inline fuse. To do it, you need to unscrew the entire fuse box bracket, not just the fuse block itself (i.e. not the phillips head screw in the photo). If you just unscrew the block, you wont be able to pull it far enough through because of the bundle of wires.

Personally, I would consider the inline fuse to be a get-you-by fix since the rest of the fusebox has been exposed to the same conditions that caused this incident (assuming its corrosion related as opposed to a funky circuit.)

#7 ·
you can check out the selection of boxes at painlesswiring.com - but they dont sell. I got my fusebox from summit racing. You might have to get two and use them side by side. It would be a clear upgrade. Once you see the painless item, you'll notice how its got a nice rubber cover and the backside is sealed with epoxy - I have a supplemental fusebox in the battery box and its doing great down there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.