Fuel system bleeding - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 15th, 2008, 06:47 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Fuel system bleeding

Hi! I'm new to D-90 and not sure on how it work but i'll give it a try! I own a 110 military with a 2.5 turbo diesel (before 200tdi engine) I'm tring to bleed the fuel system and it doesn't seems to work.. I have a sedimentor unit and a fuel filter (like the 200tdi type) I primed the fuel pump lever but after a zillion of millions of priming that lever I start to think that I'm not doing the good thing.. Or that I'm insane. Can anyone advise me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
bleeding

There should be a bleed nipple that needs to be opened momentarily as you pump to bleed off the air. Otherwise you are just compressing the air. Sorry I don't know that engine so I can tell you where it is.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 16th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
I have a 2.5 NA diesel. I believe the turbo 2.5 is very similar, so there are a couple of options.

There is a "banjo" bolt on the top of the fuel filter that can be loosened to allow air to escape. Loosen the bolt, pump the prime pump until fuel begins coming out of the opening. You can also do this while the starter is engaged to really push the air out. This is a little messy, but gets the job done.

Also, there is an injector pump that pumps the fuel to the injectors. There is also a bleed valve on top of that that can be opened to purge the system in the same way.

I have also heard some people have had success just letting the engine crack for over 30 seconds, although this may cause undo wear and tear on the starter.

Good luck!

Greg (and thanks to Charles for letting me watch him get my 101 running while we learned all of this)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 16th, 2008, 12:06 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Greg should have mentioned that in his case the pump was bad and drawing air into the system too, so we could never bleed it properly. If You have clear fuel lines it's pretty easy to tell, but not sure how you would determine that otherwise.
Old July 16th, 2008, 09:43 AM
seaswood
Craig
Diesel

Registry
Exclamation diesel injectors

I also have a 2.5 NA diesel x mod recently had the injectors rebuilt.
And there is some weepage at the inlet on the injector.[img]images/icons/icon4.gif[/img]
Not much but a finger reveals liquid there, assuming fitting should be dry.
Could not find proper torque for fuel in fitting except book said be sure not to over torque.
If I could find that spec.
I also was not able to bleed system ended up using starter.
And I do notice with system all togeather it takes quite a bit more cranking to start.
Old July 16th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Best not to bleed with the starter on these engines as it is not good for the injection pump. They are a PITA to bleed.

Bleed really well to the filter then to injection pump with the manual lever. Obviously the filter should have been filled with fuel first.... Then loosen one injection line to help things along. Try to start and once it catches tighten the injection line to stop the leak....
Old July 16th, 2008, 01:05 PM
seaswood
Craig
Diesel

Registry
diesel fuel line in

Did have fuel to the top of the fuel filter at banjo & injector banjo's are already quite tight.

unless I get a bigger wrench, but that would be too much torque i think.
5 " wrench should be enough.
There is just a little fuel showing when you wipe finger scross back of injector line.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bleed, fuel