Fuel smell! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 13th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Landyman1
Landyman
1983 land rover 110 county

Fuel smell!

Hey chaps, for some reason when the landy is running there is a somewhat strong smell of petrol. It is obviously worse outside the car and may be expected but it is the fumes on the inside that worry me. At times, the smell can get a bit strong and headache inducing. Does anybody have any ideas on where the smell may be coming from, where to find it, and how to fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2014, 03:47 PM
usadventureracing
Brett

i am also interested in responses to this question as I have the same issue with my 83 110.
Old January 13th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Sumthin' is a leaking somewhere!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You have to look for the leak. There is no way that people on the internet can figure out the location.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 13th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Shep29
KS
'95 RRC LWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landyman1 View Post
Hey chaps, for some reason when the landy is running there is a somewhat strong smell of petrol. It is obviously worse outside the car and may be expected but it is the fumes on the inside that worry me. At times, the smell can get a bit strong and headache inducing. Does anybody have any ideas on where the smell may be coming from, where to find it, and how to fix it?
Same thing happened when I first bought my truck and it turned out to be a manifold gasket.
Old January 13th, 2014, 04:39 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

If you have no visible fuel leak you may have a detached vapor line on your tank. Has anyone tinkered with your fuel tank lately? In order check that out you'll have to drop the tank potentially.

You could lower the tank slightly and use an flex inspection camera to check it out. When you max out your tank when fueling you should leak fuel from the tank area if a hose is loose or detached.
Old January 13th, 2014, 05:35 PM
usadventureracing
Brett

I am sure it is my manifold gasket.
Old January 13th, 2014, 05:53 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landyman1 View Post
You'll need to look look look.
I always take a brief look under the hood (bonnet) and if there is no visible drips get under the vehicle with it running and start at the tank and work forward. Look for drips and cracked fuel lines.

Every 2.25 or 2.5 petrol import I've ever seen had cracked fuel lines back by the tank that leaked gas.

Keep a fire extinguisher or 2 in your vehicle at all times and don't let anyone smoke anywhere near it.

You gave us very little to go on like posting which engine you have for a start.

It always amazes me when I see a post like yours... we need more info to help us help you!

BTW: this is not meant to slight you in any way, people here actually want to help.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old January 14th, 2014, 12:42 PM
Landyman1
Landyman
1983 land rover 110 county

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
You'll need to look look look. I always take a brief look under the hood (bonnet) and if there is no visible drips get under the vehicle with it running and start at the tank and work forward. Look for drips and cracked fuel lines. Every 2.25 or 2.5 petrol import I've ever seen had cracked fuel lines back by the tank that leaked gas. Keep a fire extinguisher or 2 in your vehicle at all times and don't let anyone smoke anywhere near it. You gave us very little to go on like posting which engine you have for a start. It always amazes me when I see a post like yours... we need more info to help us help you! BTW: this is not meant to slight you in any way, people here actually want to help.
of course! Sorry, I knew I was forgetting something. The landy is a 1983 110 with a carbed 3.5l v8 (the early ones). If you need any more info, let me know.
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:14 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

On the V8 check the valley area between the 2 cylinder heads (in the middle of the engine). Fuel can leak in a hidden manner into this V8 abyss and evaporate leaving only the nose to recognize the leak which remains unseen.

It is also common for drips out of the side drafts to vaporize on a hot manifold.

Also check the overflow pipes which often channel overflow from a side draft down underneath the engine.

Combine these tips with what you read above.

Time for some good lighting and intense investigation.

This needs priority as gas fumes are highly flammable, explosive, dangerous, and so on.

It's up to you now!

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions