Fuel skid pain in butt - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 25th, 2004, 01:33 PM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

Oh, mine isn't FROM the West Coast...it's from the Midwest, and it is littered with rust spots...If I could get my hands on one of the Brit metallurgists that have plagued us with these issues...

I'm sure I'll need lost of penetrant...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 25th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by flippedrover
I'll be more than happy to ship it up to ya Glenn if you want to add it to your truck
LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 25th, 2004, 01:52 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Luckily my originals don't look as bad as James.

I stupidly left about 3/4 tank in there so I'm probably not going to install this puppy today.
Would the extra weight make it 'that more' difficult ?

Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 25th, 2004, 02:06 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
holy shit. what did it look like from the side facing down....
Old June 25th, 2004, 02:10 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Nope. I had 3/4 to 1/2 in it. Use rachet straps and get them tight. Yeah a lot of oil. I had to hammer a 13mm impact socket onto the bottom four bolts. They had taken a few hits and infact the rear most left bolt was bent. Hmmm...wonder how I did that.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old June 25th, 2004, 03:23 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

WOW! That is amazing!

Would you mind if I use the pictures on my site?
Old June 25th, 2004, 05:06 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Go ahead.

Jimmy Buffett

Old June 27th, 2004, 12:40 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Quick Question to those who have installed this skid plate:

If I don't have 'rachet straps' can I use a jack to hold the tank up ?

I have a little less than half a tank right now, which in reality is probably about 1/3 tank so I may venture out and do it.

Thanks,

Nicholas

Follow-up Post:

Bad idea.

Thanks for the call Dave.

Nicholas

Last Update:

PIECE OF CAKE! Took 15minutes, if that. Bolts came right off without a hitch, sprayed some PB Blaster on them about 5 minutes prior... Looks great too... Thanks again DAVE!

Nicholas

Old June 27th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I put mine on with a full tank--the tank is wedged in pretty good. I put a floor jack under the skid and lowered it slowly till it wedged and then all the way--put the new one in place, raised the jack and hammered on it till the holes were aligned. No biggie. I do have air tools, though. YOU CANNOT GET AIR TOOLS QUICK ENOUGH IF YOU DON'T HAVE THEM! TRUST ME! Bite the bullet, take the lumps, till your spouse "sorry", but get them! Best place? Pawn Shops.
Old July 11th, 2004, 03:38 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider
1994 Portofino ST: #217

Registry
Finally had a chance to try and attach the new skid plate. Got some questions. I have already sheared off two bolts. The others won't budge. Sprayed A LOT of WD-40 on the bolts already. Will the impact driver, wrench be my best bet to get these bolts off? What happens if all bolts are sheared off? Drill them out? Lose the sway bar or re-attach?
Old July 11th, 2004, 03:50 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

WD-40 is good as a lubricant but is really a Water Displacement lubricant. Try a super penetrate like Nut buster (I think its called) or other "Liquid Wrench" type products. Soak them good and then soak them again. I would assume that an impact would work best. I just had dealership lossen mine for me while the 90 was in for something else so I can swap my fuel skid when it gets here.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old July 11th, 2004, 10:24 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Ues a lot of PB blaster. I went through a can of it on mine. I guess you are stuck with drilling the sheared bolts out. I bought one of those bolt out kits and tried it on the one that I shered off. Didn't work unfortunatly but then again I mounted the skid without that one bolt.

Jimmy Buffett

Old July 19th, 2004, 02:23 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Hey, I joined the club!

The sway bar bracket bolts and the forward 4 bolts for the pan have threads that are accessible, so I was able to douse them in Liquid Wrench on Saturday. Next day they came off pretty easily.

Couldn't get any oil on the thread for the back two, however. Was turning them with a 2-foot breaker bar, but man they were complaining about it. Broke one clear off. 'drilled a hole in it and put in a cheap screw extractor I got at Harbor Freight, and that broke off, too. 'hope the Chinese steel it's made of is as easy to drill through as the bolt!

I got the other most of the way out, but the hex head's rounded off now. 'doesn't help that one of the bars of the hitch is in the way, and prevents a straight shot with the socket extension. So I'm off to Sears today to pick up some of those sockets that bite into damaged hex heads. In the mean time, I tried soaking the bolt in more Liquid Wrench, although I don't think that's very effective when done from below.
Old July 19th, 2004, 03:26 PM
zed111
Zed
1994/Defender 90

Dave,

Can I still use the rear sway bar and factory step & tow rear bumper with your skid plate?

Also, when will you have more in stock?

Thanks
Old July 20th, 2004, 01:21 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider
1994 Portofino ST: #217

Registry
Zed - The new skids only have the sway bar holes drilled, no threads in skid. The factory skid was threaded for the sway bar bolts. To re-attach the sway bar, had to use lock nuts with new bolts and lock washers. Works fine.

Tyler - I only attached 5 of the 6 skid bolts too. Tried the easy outs to remove broken factory bolt and broke the easy out!
Old July 21st, 2004, 12:02 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Zed,

Keith is correct,

The sway bar holes are there, you just need to use a bolt and nylock nut to hold it in place.

"Also, when will you have more in stock"
I have been having a hard time keeping them in stock, but I will start on more soon. Email me if you would like more info so we do not take the thread any further off topic
Old August 1st, 2004, 07:25 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

After breaking one of the bolts and spending about an hour working lube into another one so as not to break it, and then figuring out exactly how to strap up the gas tank once I was able to drop it a little, the skid plate is now on. My old one was a lot worse off than I though once it semi-cleaned it off.

Thanks Dave! Ready to drop my ass on the rocks again.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old August 2nd, 2004, 07:00 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiefffff
Tried the easy outs to remove broken factory bolt and broke the easy out!
Yea, me too. Plus, the high-carbon steel on the EasyOut is impossible to drill through. This is what I did; maybe it can help others in the same situation: I got a small carbide cutter for my Dremel tool (looks like a miniature milling bit). It worked surprisingly well. With this, I was able to mill out the piece of the EasyOut that ended up in the bolt.

I didn't try the EasyOut route again. Instead I got a 5/16" aircraft drill bit ('needed the length because of the hitch tube that was in the way), and drilled out most of the bolt. What little was left of the bolt broke loose from the threads when I hit it with a hammer and a punch. 'cleaned up the threads with an M10 tap and was good to go. I use new stainless steel bolts all around.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 02:22 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

The Hardest Part Was..........?

Well I finally had time to put Dave's Bomber Skid Plate on.

It took me a whole hour!

I was hoping that it would take longer, because I really like wrenching on the ol' 90.

I tried to make it last longer. I inflated 2 basketballs for my kids, took their bikes down from the hooks on the ceiling, and made a run to ACE for some new bolts and nuts for my sway bar.

The best part was teaching my 6 year old to use the floor jack so I could hold the skid plate in position while he raised it up.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 02:51 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

"It took me a whole hour!"

Show off

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel