Fuel return line popped off - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 20th, 2014, 10:44 AM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Fuel return line popped off

so... Sitting at a stop light and i hear a little pop, and the engine seems to pick up some rpms maybe... Run smoother.

Smell diesel, pul over and my return line has popped off the end of the rail.

This can obviously be a clogged line, but if so, it seems transient.
Could also be a failed or clogged injector right? My diesel knowledge is neophyte but seems like if the pressure don't go into the cylinder it goes into that line. PotentiAlly over pressurizing it momentairly.

No apparent change in running currently, hose isnt popping off again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2014, 10:49 AM
javelinadave
-
-

First off remain calm.
Next stop off at a Mercedes dealer and grab a foot of return hose from them and swap yours out. I'll bet it just came off because it's old and tired.
If they don't have it try NAPA or any other car parts store.

Start with that and then we can move on if you still have an issue.
Old December 20th, 2014, 11:03 AM
BostonAndy
Andrew
Moose :: 1985 110

Registry
I picked up a few feet of Gates branded fuel hose at o'rileys. did the trick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2014, 11:57 AM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
So yea, it is popping off regularly now.

So y'alls thinkin its up before the fuel filter then eh? Cuz it'd take more than a few feet to go all the way to the tank.
I'll yank it and find some similar hose. I hope i dont have to drop the tank... It is full full...
Old December 20th, 2014, 12:33 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Most people have issues with the fuel return lines that attach to the injector manifold. If it is the tank return hose cut off the last 1/2" and reattach it or you can put a jubilee clamp to hold it on. Again it is probably stretched out and old.
Old December 20th, 2014, 03:48 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
aH... WELL... IT seems I had a bit of a misunderstanding on how this was put together.
to start with I undid the banjo bolt on top of the filter housing (where the fuel rail return is) and rather than a normal banjo bolt with a big ol hole in it. It had what was more like a carburetor jet sized hole. Like... from a lawnmower.

I could not see light through it and could pass little air. I ran a #20 K-file through it and bam.. no problem.

Easier than expected. I figured it had to be some huge build up or something.. just a grain of sand/rust or 2.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel