Fuel Pump, Switch, Relay, or Wiring? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 16th, 2005, 08:39 PM
bbandit
William Baker
1997 Defender 90

Exclamation Fuel Pump, Switch, Relay, or Wiring?

My '97 D-90 is sitting by the side of the road currently. Like Chris Vitale I was driving about 70 on Long Island (maybe it's the roads here :-) ) when it just quit, like it ran out of gas. I have spark, checked to see if any fuel is getting to the fuel rails, and it is not.

So knowing where all the smart D-90 guys hang out, I read the posts on fuel pumps here.

I still have several questions, and would appreciate any help:

1. Where is the relay located on A 1997 ?
2. Where do I find the inertia switch on a 1997?
3. How hard is it really to replace the pump if that's what it turns out to be?

and finally,

anybody wanna come fix this for me?

lol just kidding on that last one.

Thanks for any help,

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Bayport huh? White or Green? I can come take a peek if you REALLY want, Hell.... I work in Bohemia. But I've never worked on a '97, so not sure where everything is.

The pump can potentially be a pain to change, since you have to drop the whole tank to do it, and I've never done that before.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 17th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Turn the key to on but not to start, you should hear the pump. If not I think the relay is under the passenger seat on 97s. I would also check the fuse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2005, 04:27 PM
bbandit
William Baker
1997 Defender 90

Pump is not coming on at all. I checked the fuse already, it's good.

It's the Green one, I met the guy that owns the white one, I think that's a '94 tho, not sure. I appreciate the offer, but really didn't have much more time, I brought it into a shop in Blue Point.

I wish I knew where the relay was cause I would have checked it b4 work this morning.

It would cost me more to miss work than it's gonna cost to fix it ( I hope), so I took it in.
Old May 17th, 2005, 04:39 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
Turn the key to on but not to start, you should hear the pump. If not I think the relay is under the passenger seat on 97s. I would also check the fuse.
Keep smoking the crack Mike.

Fuel pump relay is next to the engine management relay in the engine compartment.

The inertia switch is the rubber plunger looking thing on the firewall, inside the engine compartment (top of firewall).

Check the wiring diagram:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WIRING_DIAGRAMS.PDF (64.3 KB, 305 views)
Old May 17th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Not a problem at all... hopefully it's just something simple and easy to fix. If you ever need a hand, don't hesitate to drop me an e-mail.

FWI.... There's actually 2 white ones around here. I've got the Station Wagon with the roof rack and winch. The other one's a soft top, I think he's here somewhere too..... owns a waterjet shop I think on Lincoln Ave.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:03 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

On a '97, the fuel pump relay and the main relay are in a common module. The module is located inside a squarish white metal thing on the right side of the engine compartment.

The fuel pump fuse in the engine compartment controls power to the fuel pump relay contacts. From there, goes to the inertia switch, and to the pump.

The fuse for the fuel pump coil also fuses the O2 sensor heaters.

I sympathize. I had an intermittant short to ground that was caused by the wires to the fuel pump being pinched between the tank and the chassis; drove me nuts for months.

It's not hard to change the pump, but it is a lengthy procedure. You need to remove the skid plate, disconnect the tank hoses, and drop the tank. You'll probably break a bolt getting the skid plate off.
Old July 8th, 2005, 12:07 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryO
It's not hard to change the pump, but it is a lengthy procedure. You need to remove the skid plate, disconnect the tank hoses, and drop the tank. You'll probably break a bolt getting the skid plate off.

Fellas... I'm at this step but in addition to the process listed above; There are 2 fuel lines attached to the pump and I can't seem to get them out. A friend said just 'drop the tank' and they'll pull out... But it looks to me like it would mess everything up.

Any info appreciated.

Nicholas Orros

Old July 8th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

You can drop the tank 2 or 3" without disconnecting anything to help aid in being able to reach everything. Are these the high pressure lines or the lines to the Charcole filter. Oh and e-mail sent
Old July 8th, 2005, 02:13 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

laying underneath with your feet out the back those pise are to the left,undo there first disconect electrics in wheel well and filler pipe ect, drop tank then diconect the pipes at the top to aid getting the top unscrewed.fit new pump and put back together, easy.done it about 4 times in the last 2 mths

Old July 8th, 2005, 10:23 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Appreciated...

Now, I don't think I remember which 2 fuel lines were which ? Does it matter ? Are they both 'out' flowing ?

Truck doesn't start.

Nicholas

Old July 9th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Yeah it matters, one is in the other is out. Jimmy can tell ya which one goes where, I don't remember.
Old July 9th, 2005, 08:40 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

laying underneath looking up the one on the left connects to pipe nearest the back.
as you bend them round you will notice one will look longer than the other and the pipes they connect to, the one nearest the rear should be about an inch longer.
i know what i mean even if you can't understand this

Old July 9th, 2005, 12:26 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Jimmy,
Yes, I think they're in right and I appreciate the info...
I don't think I hear the fuel pump (the NEW one I put in) turning ON, I hear the 'click' of the relay (which is a new BOSCH one)...

What else could it be ? wiring ?

N

Old July 9th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I would measure the voltage at the connector near the tire, both blacks are ground or negative the green is the sender for the fuel gauge and the white with the purple stripe is the 12 volts for the fuel pump. There will only be 12 volts there for a few seconds when you first turn the key to on so you may need an assistant to help. OH check the fuse FIRST! it is a 7.5 amp fuse and only replace it with a 7.5 amp fuse!
Old July 9th, 2005, 03:34 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

its fuse #20 looking at it its on the bottom right.if thats ok check to see if you have power where mike said.if you still have the old pump wire the red and black and just touch them on your battery to see if it runs,it might have been a fuse all the time
if you hear the pump you wil need to turn it on and off a few times to get fuel to the engine

Old July 9th, 2005, 09:26 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Well, I looked at fuse #20 under the dash and it's burnt/melted out... and the fuse is shot... #20 however says 'SPARE'.. ?

I'm confused.

Thanks again !

Nicholas Orros

Old July 10th, 2005, 08:07 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

nicholas you got your pump going yet??

Old July 10th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Nope he don't Just talked to him, his fuse box isn't looking too good, pics to co me soon.

Follow-up Post:

Anyone ever replace a fuse box?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Melty fuse boxs.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	3413  
Old July 10th, 2005, 12:08 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Yeah, you're right... there's not much room behind the fuse-box/panel.
And I can't see 'how' they connect... it's literally pouring out there.

Mike, so it's possible that I can 'reroute' that terminal and run an 'inline' fuse so I don't have to buy a whole new 'fuse box'... From the picture you can see from the front that it only looks like it's infected that ONE terminal area. The other fuses however are very very hard to pull out, haven't tried all of them, am going to wait until I can see behind the fusepanel.

Nicholas

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel, relay, switch, wiring