Fuel Pump Sound - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 9th, 2005, 04:33 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Fuel Pump Sound

Hi all, I searched all threads and didn't find anything relating to the normal / abnormal sound emitted by the fuel pump on a NAS 1997 D90. Medium pitched sound coming from the rear, has to be fuel pump. At first I thought the sound was coming from the exhaust, kind of a "tinny" sound like my Classic used to make out of it's rear resonator. Sound can be heard from inside the cab, just sounds like a high/medium pitch hum that reminds me of the sound a commercial airliner makes as it sits at the gate with just electric power running.

Anyway, my truck has all of 27k miles on it and I wonder if I should be shopping for replacement fuel pump part in anticipation of it dying....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2005, 06:03 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The pic shows how much scale and crap came out of my fuel pump which was actually still functioning. You could just pull yours and ensure that its not all plugged up. Its a good opportunity to install a skid plate from Dave Lucas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crud in Fuel Pump.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	2261  
Old January 9th, 2005, 06:19 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

I posted about this last spring (surprised it didn't come up in your search). Mine was making a VERY loud, high pitch whiny noise. It was working just fine but the response I got from the board was that it was probably on the way out. Anyway, it was making me nervous, so I replaced it at the same time I had the Dave Lucas gas tank skid plate installed. There was a bunch of water and sediment in the bottom of the tank. Probably had something to do with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2005, 06:53 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Thanks guys
Old January 10th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Just had this happen to me. I replaced the pump just in case. The dealer warned me that the skid plate bolts will more then likley break off and an new bracket will be neccesary. I think they did in fact break off and I think this is a common problem that you may want to perpare yourself for. I don't think it is a big deal you may want to make sure you order this part just in case.
Rich

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel