Fuel Pump Replacement Time Already? Help Me Confirm. - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 1st, 2014, 09:34 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
And just as a side note...not sure if you are replacing the whole fuel pump assembly every time... You can replace the pump inside the whole assembly..it's super cheap and easy to do..or you could put a low pressure one in it and then mount an external high pressure one on the frame...with the pump being such a pain in the ass to get to I have thought about doing this on a trail rig for ease of repairs in the middle of nowhere..
I was going to say the external fuel pump on the frame rail after seeing how easy they are to install. I subscribe to the Robert Davis formula of sedimenter -> elec fuel pump -> motor fuel pump as it just seems to work. I got my electric pump off Amazon for $25 and one could swap in less than 5 minutes. I just don't know how they would effect the stock Rover gas architecture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2014, 11:31 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Yeah I don't think I'm going to try to have him re-invent the wheel on this one while it's in the shop. If I was doing this on my own in a nice home garage where I could have the stuff laid out nicely on a work bench etc., then maybe, but I don't have that luxury (yet). Thanks for the rebuild options as well, but correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinking that after ~$80 in parts and ~100-200 in labor to reman the pump it may be just as easy to go with all new. Not a bad option to keep as a back-up though after a new one is installed though to work on afterwards. Thanks for the advice guys. I definitely want to have the wiring/grounds re-inspected as part of this.
Old August 1st, 2014, 12:26 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Good points Josh.

And not even sure if the external fuel pump idea would even work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2014, 12:39 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Of course it does..how do you think cars did it before in tank pumps..
Old August 1st, 2014, 12:52 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Of course it does..how do you think cars did it before in tank pumps..
Yes but what mods would be needed for the rear stock fuel pump? I think If Josh had a written up install with part numbers etc he might give it a go but as is easier just to get the stock one out back.

Using the external fuel pump on my 2.5 I love how freaking easy it is so it would be great if someone had more info on this for a NAS setup.
Old August 1st, 2014, 01:02 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

One thing that leads to consistent in tank fuel pump failure is constantly running the vehicle with a low volume of fuel in the tank. The pump need to be submerged in fuel to keep it cool. Running often at less than 3/8 tank level should be avoided.
Old August 1st, 2014, 01:05 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I helped a friend build a 1997 Disco into a rock buggy with a fuel cell. I also did a complete 14CUX fuel injection setup on a 1985 D110. In both projects I used an aftermarket EFI pump from Holley. It is available from NAPA as part number 735-5628. It needs to be mounted on the frame at a level close to or below the bottom of the tank so that there will be a siphon effect to feed it. Neither truck has had any fuel delivery problems. In a D90 application, I would mount the pump next to the tank inside the skid plate area if possible. I would also remove the original pump from the pump housing and fabricate a pickup tube out of brass or stainless tubing. The new pump can be configured with an inlet filter to keep trash out of it. There would need to be some rerouting of the lines, but that should be fairly easy.
Old August 1st, 2014, 01:25 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

Dennis and rob are correct.. High pressure fuel injection pumps are no good as suction pumps and can lose prime..so a low pressure pump that doesn't require much voltage and amperage (not stressed) mounted in tank merely supplies the high pressure pump.. You can generally get by without the low pressure pump in tank but can cause difficulties if you run low on fuel or run out..it also means you have to have a check valve in the high pressure pump to reduce back siphoning .. Not really nec if pump is lower than tank.. But since you already have the wires inside the tank pump assy it's really easy to install one.. And you can easily power the secondary pump through an ignition switched relay..on its own fuse from the passengers side box where the ecu is located and the fuel pump relay also... Makes future troubleshooting and trail repairs very simple... I know the tank on Josh's comes out easy (it's been out so many times he may as well install it with Velcro..lol). But as a roadside or even better..trail side repair..I know which I'd prefer to replace the pump on..
Old August 12th, 2014, 01:11 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Tank is dropped and new fuel pump will be going in once the new genuine one arrives (again). The line from the tank to the charcoal evaporator cannister was broken and replaced with a plastic fitting or something by the previous owner that appears to have not lasted all that long. The inside of the tank is filthy. The first time the truck would not start last year was the first time I tried to start it after Guy Fawkes after I'd powerwashed the undercarriage (with the truck on) and had been focusing a lot in the rear since mud would just not stop coming out from back there. Perhaps water and dust had been making their way in for some time, and this break in the line could have been one of the reasons why the truck seemed to have some difficulties starting after a good rain? Replacing the fuel filter was one of the first things I did after it wouldn't start last year, and it looked normal to me.

The good news is that inspection while the tank is removed revealed that there is still no rust back there.

Here was the thread when I was trying to diagnose it originally.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=36737

And spraying down after Guy Fawkes.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...8&postcount=27
Old August 12th, 2014, 01:28 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Get pics for you files
Old August 12th, 2014, 04:39 PM
jorge
JORGE ESPINOZA
97 ST WHITE MODS SUPERCHARGED

Registry
Saw your veh at Felix's shop today . Your old fuel pump has sediment on the bottom , the charcoal fume evaporator had a make shift repair that appeared to be clogged and no longer connected to the plastic tubing and your tank cradle is a little rusty . Felix cleaned your tank and is now spotless inside . I was there when he installed the new pump . Hope to see you driving in the neighborhood soon .
Old August 12th, 2014, 10:18 PM
sloanfiske
Anthony Nelson
97 D90 SW

Registry
Damn. All those issues caused by a crap fuel pump.
Old August 13th, 2014, 05:21 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Drove her back to the garage without any issues. Felix is very reasonable and just a good guy (oh yeah and a good mechanic!). Came in a little under budget for dropping the tank etc. which is also always nice.

Sludge in the pump pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3930297300.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	100787   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2525693989.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	393.9 KB
ID:	100789  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2141793171.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	460.2 KB
ID:	100791  
Old August 13th, 2014, 06:18 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Hope this solves all the issues you've had. How did it run on be way home? Any stutters thru RPM ranges?
Old August 13th, 2014, 06:45 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Now we wait a few weeks to see if this thread gets bumped up to the top again.
Old August 13th, 2014, 09:47 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Save that. You can get a 'generic' pump and use it in that housing for next time.

-Jeff
Already gave it away to a local member.
Old August 13th, 2014, 09:47 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Now we wait a few weeks to see if this thread gets bumped up to the top again.
Oh geez I seriously hope not!!!
Old September 3rd, 2014, 10:57 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

I know the idea was to give this thread some time to pop back up, so let me do that for everyone with my own drama. I had some starting/ stalling issues a while ago but now I have something new going on. I did the whole coil pack, dist cap, stepper motor, intake clean out ordeal. Tonight however while driving it simply died. I downshifted, and popped the clutch, and it just ground to a halt. I tried to start it but it won't turn over. When I initially tried to crank it a few times, it acted like it wanted to fire and then it just cranked. I am thinking fuel pump, filter and relays. Can you pull a fuel pump and test it? Am I missing something? Oh, I did see the code 03 when all this happened but no check engine light
Old September 4th, 2014, 12:06 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

I see a fuel pump replacement in someone's future..
Old September 10th, 2014, 12:33 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Replacement here we go

Well I ordered all the necessary parts to replace the fuel pump While at it I ordered a new filter, and relays. The filter might not have been touched in 13 years. I also bought two new fuel relays.

That said, I am going to try really hard to clean out my fuel tank while it is down. Any tips or ideas on how to do so? The best option right now, is to drain the tank, and simply wipe it down with clean rags. Also I was going to go ahead and try to blow out the fuel lines while the filter is removed. Is that a decent idea? If so any pointers? I was just going to use compressed air and giver a go.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, fuel