Fuel Pump Replaced, now won't start. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 23rd, 2013, 12:02 PM
Kelbo
Kelly
'86 110

Registry
Fuel Pump Replaced, now won't start.

I'm a member over on the Australian Land Rover Owners Forum, so I posted this there, as well. I'm hoping someone can give me some ideas.

I was having intermittent problems with my TD5 going from a smooth normal idle, to running roughly as is as missing in a cylinder. It would still run, but with a loss of power and a rough go. I checked the ECU plug, cleaned a little oil out (very little) and good to go. Ive got a new injector wiring harness on the way. The plug is very clean now, as is the ECU side. I noticed over time the fuel pump had grown much louder, even to a screaming screeching noise fairly often. So I bought a new fuel pump.

I installed it yesterday, no problem. After installing it and putting everything back together, I fired the truck up, it cranked and idled for 10 minutes as if it was totally fixed. I jumped in it for a test drive (all while staying cranked) and took off down the road. I got about a mile away, and it died as if it ran out of fuel. I went through the TD5 air purging sequence a few times by the book, but no start. Got it back to the shop, performed the air purging sequence more than 10 times, still no start.

I can hear the new fuel pump working during the air purging process, I also checked the fuel filter under the rear passenger wheel well... And the pump was getting fuel to it. I even checked the fuel line going into the fuel cooler near the engine block, and it had fuel too. I am stumped! It will not fire.

I've read they can be very stubborn with purging air, and that sometimes it takes a long time to get the air out of the system. But this much? I followed the air purging instructions exactly every time.

http://www.web-rover.co.uk/nav.php?p=td5kb/fuelpurge

Ideas? Thanks in advance.

'86 110

Former Rigs:
'94 D 90 ST
'84 D 130 Hi-Cap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2013, 01:03 PM
90lang
Langdon Hill
98'D90300Tdi

Fuel Pump replacement failure 300Tdi - reference only

I had a similar experience on a 98' D90 300Tdi. I often run bio-fuels. Fuel system upgraded to viton synthetic seals lines. Expected failure on possible original fuel pump. Leak developed on the low pressure side after 5 years. (New EU fuel pumps are required to be synthetic after 1998) Bio-fuel systems require all organic seals and rubber like components to be synthetic. Non synthetic rubbers break-down eventually when exposed to the more corrosive vegetable and animal based fuels.

Vehicle is performing great, with no problem other than fuel leak at high pressure fuel pump. Ordered re-manufactured pump. The pump was replaced and the "key" timing mark was aligned. Vehicle would not start. No corrective solution worked. The pump was delivering fuel. The timing alignment has only one position and it was identical to the original pump.

Original pump was replaced. Naturally, the vehicle started. I returned and ordered a new pump. It worked perfectly. I have been told this new pump is constructed with synthetic components. The EU mandated this early to create infrastructure for bio-fuels.

George at Rovers Down South shipped replacements very fast and at no charge.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 03:08 PM
Kelbo
Kelly
'86 110

Registry
Lang,

Thanks for the info. I have my suspicions about the new pump not pushing enough psi. The sound of it working is there, and the fuel is making it to the motor, but need to get a pressure check. I drove the truck around before replacing the pump (though it was missing intermittently) changed the pump out, ran for a while, died. Won't come back to life.

'86 110

Former Rigs:
'94 D 90 ST
'84 D 130 Hi-Cap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2013, 07:18 PM
Kelbo
Kelly
'86 110

Registry
This is me picking your Landy brains!

Ideas?

'86 110

Former Rigs:
'94 D 90 ST
'84 D 130 Hi-Cap
Old March 23rd, 2013, 08:37 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

Did you change the fuel filter? Try unplugging your maf sensor to see if it makes a difference. Also, it seems like it could be ecu related. Was the pump screeching as loud with a full tank? A faulty maf can cause similar problems. Post again on aulro, those guys love td5s and are very knowledgeable.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 09:02 PM
Kelbo
Kelly
'86 110

Registry
Thanks, Ben. Pm'd.

'86 110

Former Rigs:
'94 D 90 ST
'84 D 130 Hi-Cap

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, fuel, start