Fuel pump relay issues? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 28th, 2006, 07:31 PM
chuff
Chris
'94 D90

Fuel pump relay issues?

Hi everyone,
As some of you out here on the east coast noticed, we had a bit of rain the past couple days. I got up this morning to find the D90 wouldn't start. I've had this problem before, but it's usually a matter of letting it dry out a bit. However, this morning it didn't sound like the fuel pump was spinning. Ran up to the mechanic to get a new relay, swapped out the old one and I had the pump going again...but the car wouldn't start. The engine was turning over but no ignition. So I decided to give it 30 minutes and try again. This time the fuel pump is no longer humming, so I'm back to square one. Pulled out the fuse and it looked ok.

Does this sound like an electrical problem? Is it possible for the relay to crap out that quickly?

I ran out of ideas (albeit very few and amatuerish) this afternoon and decided to flatbed it up to the garage. Loved the looks on the neighbors faces it was cranked up on the truck. Guessing I will not be loving the call from the garage tomorrow--either way it comes out.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 28th, 2006, 08:29 PM
d901560
Brian B
94 ST

I always keep at least one spare relay in the truck. I can usually count on it going bad if I get caught in the rain with the top off. They can go bad quickly, I've had them go out within a couple of hours of getting wet. Have the garage check the relay first. When I first got the Defender a couple of years ago it wouldn't start and the pump wouldn't come on. I mistakenly droped the tank and replaced the fuel pump only to have it still not start because of the relay. What a pain that was to do in the driveway. At least I won't have to worry about the pump anytime soon.
Old August 29th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

Chris,

I had a similar problem(s) !

Replace both relys also check your distributor cap, you could have a crack someplace within this set-up, if you have a crack & with the rain / mosture your truck will not start util it drys out...

Once you get the truck running use a mister (fine mist of water) of some kind, spry on engine, if after this your truck will not start then you may have a crack in your distributor cap...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 29th, 2006, 03:21 PM
chuff
Chris
'94 D90

Had the truck towed in just to get the second ECU relay replaced which apparently did the trick. Unbelievable. Good call on keeping spares around. The dist cap looked pretty solid when I was under the hood yesterday--I replaced it a couple years ago after having similar issues. Thanks for your input guys.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel, relay